"Lil Guy's Got a New Ride

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: "Lil Guy's Got a New Ride

Granbury Texas and Wataga (I think that's how you spell it) both have drive through car washes for 10 bucks each for a full wash and blow dry. I haven't seen any others, they are awesome. Duallys are a lot of truck to wash. I wonder if we could drive the truck and fifth through one of the 18 wheeler truck washes?? Not sure how much they costs but that would kill two birds with one stone. Congrats on the new truck.

Most blue beacons will wash truck and fifth wheel. We have done it once, others have done it more with varied results.

Hand washing truck is not a problem, it's washing the 40' BC that kills me. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

Started having reservations about my truck and 5th wheel being delivered. Never could speak to the driver but called the salesman and mentioned that the rams should tow at 50mph for 1st 500 miles. That really wasn't my concern. My main concern was trucking down the road at high speeds with the 'LG'. I could see him doing 75 and ruining the tires or having a blowout and hurting the rig. So, I had him just deliver the truck which I got yesterday at about 4:30. BTW, he left Kerrville at 11:35 and hit Houston during rush hour. Took the truck to work and am really impressed with it so far. I really don't know why I was so worried about driving one but of course, I was worried about pulling a 5rh wheel also. Anyway, I'm getting excited about the next rig we buy.
Debbie and I are driving up Saturday evening and will pull it home Sunday morning. The truck will have over 600 miles on it by then. We just called and paid through Sunday. I just hope the 'Lil Guy' doesn't get a complex behind that long truck.

Bones

Started having reservations about my truck and 5th wheel being delivered. Never could speak to the driver but called the salesman and mentioned that the rams should tow at 50mph for 1st 500 miles. That really wasn't my concern. My main concern was trucking down the road at high speeds with the 'LG'. I could see him doing 75 and ruining the tires or having a blowout and hurting the rig. So, I had him just deliver the truck which I got yesterday at about 4:30. BTW, he left Kerrville at 11:35 and hit Houston during rush hour. Took the truck to work and am really impressed with it so far. I really don't know why I was so worried about driving one but of course, I was worried about pulling a 5rh wheel also. Anyway, I'm getting excited about the next rig we buy.
Debbie and I are driving up Saturday evening and will pull it home Sunday morning. The truck will have over 600 miles on it by then. We just called and paid through Sunday. I just hope the 'Lil Guy' doesn't get a complex behind that long truck.
Good luck driving back with your new truck and trailer. The Cummings manual said break in is better if your actually hauling with it.

danemayer

This is from the 2014 RAM 3500 Owner's Manual.

Attachments

• RAM Break In Trailer Towing.pdf
    60 KB · Views: 21

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Enjoy your new truck!

You are gonna love it!

Of course . . . we want pictures! :cool:

When I got my new truck one year ago next week, I put about 800 miles (one weeks worth of driving to work) before I hitched up the trailer to get the hitch set up.

This is my first Chevy truck . . . had six Dodge and three Ford trucks over the years before this one.

Of course, at that time we had a Heartland Trail Runner (bumper pull) and here we are a year later with a Heartland Prowler 5th-wheel.

Taking it over the continental divide next week for its' first long trip!

At the time we bought the truck, we just wanted more truck than we would ever need for the bumper pull . . . with no plans for upgrading to the 5th-wheel!

But here we are!

RifleCO2014-IMG_2931.jpg Truck&CamperAtGasStationSmall.jpg TruckAtGrandCanyon-IMG_3537.jpg NewProwler-P1000041.jpg ProwlerAtArbys2015-P1000174.jpg

danemayer

That is for a gasser. Look under diesel supplement

The Diesel Supplement points to the Trailer Towing Break-in in the Owners Manual for additional requirements.

For additional vehicle break-in requirements, refer to “Trailer Towing” in “Starting And Operating” of the
Owners Manual.

danemayer

Maybe I am missing something but I read this as no break in period just use it.
I think they could have done a better job at integrating the information.

Here's another page from the Diesel Supplement.

Attachments

• RAM Break in Trailer Towing Diesel Supp.pdf
    233.2 KB · Views: 11

Bones

I think they could have done a better job at integrating the information.

Here's another page from the Diesel Supplement.

Ok I think I know what is going on here. The Cummins engine requires no break in period but Dodge wants a break in period for the drive-train components to seat themselves. I don't know if anyone tows at 50 mph. You would get clobbered.

'Lil Guy'

I read all of that also. I'm going to take it easy anyway (not 50MPH). The break in is for the drive train to mesh and seat everything. My issue was knowing a guy that is paid to deliver was going to make the best time possible and not be concerned with the TV or TT. I feel better doing it myself. It also states to change speeds a lot and to accelerate hard at times (not in 1st gear). Break in on drive line takes from 6 to 10K miles before best fuel economy and power. Thanks again for the input.

JohnD

Break in on drive line takes from 6 to 10K miles before best fuel economy and power.

As I mentioned earlier in this topic, I just rolled over 21,200 miles on my truck and I am just now noticing better gas mileage.

Better late than never!

'Lil Guy'

Here are a couple of pic. Still don't know what color this is.
Is anyone familiar with this hitch? Wanted the Curt and this is what I got. It's the turnover ball sety up and removable.

Attachments

• IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1448.jpg
    IMG_1448.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 35

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Nice. You will like the B&W a lot. You can see the jaws wrap around the king pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Sweet truck!

That was the color I wanted to get . . . but that didn't work out!

My previous truck (1996 Dodge Ram) was the same color as my new one, so I had no problem with the color!

EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg DodgeLastTime-IMG_20140901_194233999.jpg TruckTopper-IMG_20141004_142131159.jpg NewTruckTrailerLevel-IMG_20140918_130913251.jpg

Notice in the second shot the new Chevy in the driveway behind the Dodge.

I do miss that Dodge . . .

That was my most favorite vehicle I've ever owned, plus I owned that truck longer than any other vehicle I've ever owned!

Now it is living the good life in Rochester, New York!

IronJ

Here are a couple of pic. Still don't know what color this is.
Is anyone familiar with this hitch? Wanted the Curt and this is what I got. It's the turnover ball sety up and removable.
Nice truck!!

The companion hitch is awesome..worth every penny. ...and I can remove it myself In 2 pieces..

My superglide 24k I had was 300lbs plus!!...best slider made tho!!

Congrats!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Did you move your tank to the new truck? Sorry I haven't seen the pics, they won't display on tapatalk for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

Yes, the tank is in the new truck. Now I'm concerned about the new hitch. I think it is too high in the lowest position for my rig and this truck. They didn't mount the hitch right. I'm going to to turn the center piece around like it's supposed to be for the Ram trucks. Right now, the center of the hitch is behind the rear axle. I called the guy in Kerrville about it and he said just to turn the whole thing around. I told him the instructions are to be toward the cab and the Companion sign is to the tailgate per the instructions. He said it didn't matter so I just hung up. Right now the plate is almost even with the bed rails. I think my 2500 had a taller stance than this truck. At least I hope so. If not, this hitch may not work.

JohnD

This is why it is good to have your trailer right there when the hitch is being installed.

That way you can let the installers deal with it.