Lipper Warranty - pinbox movement

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I can attest to what Jim is saying. We are fulltiming in a 3600RL...very similar to the 3670. We have always been approximately 1,000lbs under on our 14,000 axle capacity (unit's GVWR is 16,000lbs) and we still ended up with "flattened" 7,000lb springs. We had them replaced by Lippert with 8,000lb springs and can tell you, there is a MARKED difference in the ride inside the trailer. First 100 miles after replacement it looked like a bomb went off inside our trailer...the unit is definitely "sprung" too tightly!!! Mirror closet door, just inside entry door, broke and fell off. Pot draw came open and and shook apart. It even loosened up the nut on top of the lamp shade on back wall, which then proceeded to fall off. Things that have not moved in two years went EVERYWHERE...be careful what you wish for! We've had to secure all doors and draws, and batten down things that have never moved!:(

I would NOT have wished this on myself...if they ever need replacing again, I'll stick with what this unit was designed for which is 7,000lb springs!:eek:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Mor=Ryde makes a great IS system. They also have a never lube wheel bearing. Never worry about greasing it and damaging the brakes.

lhetsler

Springs

Okay kakamper, I am sure you would know if you have the 8k suspension. I just don't understand why the axles bent when I run with the tanks empty and minimal things in the basement. I am okay for now and will see how these new axles hold up.

lhetsler

Snow

I have been brainstorming to figure out why my axles were bent and came up with a possibility. We had a severe winter in Ohio with sometimes a foot or more of snow at a time. Snow weighs on average 15 pounds a cubic foot. That accumulation could amount to significant weight on the suspension.

The fix for me will be four aluminum jacks rated at 6000 lbs each under the frame for winter storage. That will not allow any accumulated weight to affect the suspension. Just an idea for those of you who live in snow country.

Pulltab

That's an interesting concept you got there Les! That does amount to about 2 tons of weight. Hmmmmm, something to think about but I am not sure how that would bend the axles considering the springs are mounted on the ends and the weight would be concentrated in that area pushing straight down. Granted it would possibly stress the springs but bend the axles? I think perhaps you had a bad set of axles to start with. Just thinking out loud.

geeksrus

Good luck with the two warranty part, we had a landing leg go bad, everything we saw in writing said a two year warranty but when we contacted Heartland who in turn contacted Lippert the rep for Lippert stated that there is a 1 year warranty and always has been 1 year, so the repairs were on me. ( so much for having it in writing) Not to impressed with Lippert.

same here when the motor/gear box forbthe landing legs gave out... "only 1 year on this component'.

Eh!

Delaine and Lindy

We have 8,000 lb axles and the center point suspensions. Our 5er rides very well nothing moves and we do have the Trailair pin boxs, which I think helps some. However the 2010 we have on order will come with a standard pin box, but I ordered and installed on our FL a Trailer Saver air ride 5th wheel hitch (TSLB2H 32,000 lb capacity) we are going to try this system but we may have to go with the Mor/Ryde pin box will know for sure when we pull the new 5er. I woudn't hesitate one minute going with the Mor/Ryde pin box, we have had the Mor/Ryde system before. As for the axles being bent, they all have axles which is bent in the center to get cast and camber alignment for the tires. We have never had a problem with axles and have use the Dexter never lube which was the best system we had. We also will have Goodyear 17.5" 114 H rated tires. The 2010 5th wheel will weight about 20,000 lbs when ready to go RVing. Hope everything get work out for ihetsler. Good Luck. GBY...

lhetsler

Snow weight

Understand what your saying Pulltab, but 2 tons is a lot of weight and I think sitting on top my unit for some time could cause bent axles from overweight. Certainly there is a limit that 7K axles can take before being affected. It was the spindles of the axles that where actually bent. I have no other explanation as I travel light with empty tanks and a few tools. Who knows? The tech did determine that the springs where fine. Maybe your right, maybe I had good springs and bad axles. I am just glad the warranty was honored whatever the reason.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
It is the turns and high impact from potholes that stress the axles. With the coach uncoupled and setting on the front handing gear, weight is transfered off the axles due to the front overhang.

Pulltab

Understand what your saying Pulltab, but 2 tons is a lot of weight and I think sitting on top my unit for some time could cause bent axles from overweight. Certainly there is a limit that 7K axles can take before being affected. It was the spindles of the axles that where actually bent. I have no other explanation as I travel light with empty tanks and a few tools. Who knows? The tech did determine that the springs where fine. Maybe your right, maybe I had good springs and bad axles. I am just glad the warranty was honored whatever the reason.
Oh, if it was the spindles that were bent I am with you 100%! They certainly would have taken the largest load being cantilevered like that. I misunderstood your post and though you were referring to the center of the axle tube straightening out.

You need to get that puppy under some cover before the next snow :) glad they took care of it for you!

caissiel

there is a problem with jacking all around the unit. The other day I jacked one wheel on the door side of my old unit with the front jacks down and now the door sticks I usualy put the trailer on the truck to do any axle, wheel work. If the frame is not floating during frost it may twist enough to cause door alighment. A friend parked his trailer with all four legs down for the winter and the next year the door was sticking most of the summer. It came back after traveling and twisting itself back. He never put the rear stabilizers down for winter storage and never had the door problem again. I always just use the front stabilizers as they remove a lot of weight from the axles anyway and the rig floats with no alighment problems.

It's been my understanding that Lippert builds frames to the specifications provided by the RV manufacturer. If this is the case, then surely any problems with the frame should be the responsibility of the RV manufacturer who provided the specs. Any input?

wdk450

"Your Trailer must have been overweight"

Group:
"Your Trailer must have been overweight" seems to be Lippert's standard response for any suspension problems, from what I have experienced and read on this forum. It's an easily made accusation, that puts the burden of proof for past usages on the owner; like, "When did you stop beating your wife?"
I expect to be paying my suspension warranty claim out of my own pocket.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The best way to "beat" the "you're overweight problem", is to have your unit weighed, if possible, each year. Use a professional weighing service, i.e., RVSEF or Weight-It. They provide the written proof.

We used our weight certificates with Lippert on a recent axle issue...they couldn't dispute it, and replaced the axles, which were "flat", without question. It pays to be prepared...:)