Lippert Flex Aire Installation Question

BigGuy82

For those of you who have installed one of these things on a Bighorn by putting it on the bed of your truck and then using the fiver levelers to lower the coach into position, did you need to put the pinbox on anything in order to be able to align it with the mounting holes on the coach? Reason for asking is that I just read an article where the guy said he needed to put it on top of his spare tire.

I'm asking because I can't "dry run" this. My coach is in storage and I'm pulling it out next weekend to use an indoor truck bay that I got access to, so it's not like I can try this out in the driveway first. I'd like to be prepared for the unexpected ...

Thanks.

gasman

Camp Socializer
I wonder if maybe he couldn't get the front of the trailer dropped down far enough set the pin box on the truck bed so he used the tire to raise it up.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yes you will need to raise the hitch up off of the floor of the bed. I would make a cradle out of wood to hold it into place up high enough and then you will be able to lower the RV down far enough with the Level-up jacks and not worry about hitting the bed rails.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I laid a wooden pallet on the bed of the truck. Place the FlexAir on the pallet held in place with a couple supports screwed into the pallet. There was plenty of travel in the Level Up system to lower it down onto the pin box. Granted, my RAM bed height is several inches higher than the F350.

Gary521

When I mounted my 5th Airborne, I rented a hand crank hoist to lift the thing. It worked perfectly. Just another alternative.

mlpeloquin

I used wood blocking made out of 6X6. You just have to align two sets of holes and then raise the fifth wheel up. don't tighten the bolts until all are inserted. Do use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts.

Noofear

I used a the floor jack from the bed of my truck and was able to lift it right up into place

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sengli

I used the front end loader on my tractor to lift mine in position. Got a couple of the bolts inserted, and went from there.

BigGuy82

So, here's an update just to close the loop on this thread.

The first pinbox I received was laying on it's side on a wooden pallet. I sent that back and told the vendor that I wanted the factory packaging, which is a large box with blown in foam that cradles the pin box. This makes the install MUCH easier. The vendor wasn't happy, but when I pay for new, I expect new in factory packaging.

Placing several stacked pieces of 2 x 12" on the floor of the truck bed, I used a chain fall with a lifting strap attached to the pinbox to hoist it up (I happen to have one in my garage, but at 250 lbs., three or four guys can probably lift this thing into the truck bed). I left the bottom foam layer on the pinbox - this provided several inches of base aiding in stabilizing the pinbox and getting it high enough so that the coach landing gear could drop low enough to line up with the holes. You need to be careful not to lower the coach down on your bed side rails - make sure you have enough height. Once you're at the right height, back the truck up and then two guys can just slide this box home. To aid in lining up the holes, I used a Klein Tools 3251 1-1/16-Inch Standard Bull Pin (available at Amazon for 19 bucks) - these are used by steelworkers to line up beams for bolting. It is the perfect size and taper to use in hole alignment. I also made two 18" long temporary pins out of threaded 5/8" steel rod - this allowed me to easily pin the box in place (one rod in the front set of holes and one in the rear), pull the truck out and measure the correct height as outlined in the instrcutions. As it turns out, I had to raise the box by one set of holes (about 2") to get it to the recommended height from the ground, so all I needed to do was pull the truck back under, pull my threaded rod "pins" (no bolt removal), adjust the coach height and then bolt everything together.

I upgraded to zinc plated Grade 8 bolts, nuts and washers - not necessary but cheap insurance - torqued to 185 ft lbs. I also used anti-seize compound (I'll probably never remove this thing but who knows?). I recommend sequencing the tightening pattern as you would lug nuts and then bring it up in increments (I used 100, 150, 185) ft lbs. The only tools needed were a 15/16" socket with short extension, a long handled 1/2" drive ratchet (or a breaker bar), a torque wrench, a 15/16" box wrench, the aforementiond bull pin and home made alignment pins (you could also use bolts for this - the rods just make it a little easier). A high torgue power screwdriver with 3/8" socket comes in handy to remove and replace (reusing the self-drilling screws) the junction box and breakaway switch. You'll also need a measuring tape and I used a level to insure the coach was level when taking pin height measurements. Also, as repugnant as it might be, force yourself to read the two pages of instructions - life will be easier.

When you're done, you won't need the old pinbox or that silly plastic pinbox cover that some Bighorns come with. In addition to this pinbox, I added Air Lifts a couple of weeks ago and combined, the result in vehicle handling is quite awesome. I took the rig out for a test run on some rough stretches of road (not hard to find in upstate New York) and the results were impressive. The first thing i noticed is that even though I only had an inch or two of "sag" without the Air Lifts, having the truck perfectly level noticeaby reduced front end "lightness". The next thing I noticed is the improved stability and hugely reduced chucking that the Flex Air provides. On long trips, I'm guessing that fatigue will be greatly reduced and it will be a heck of a lot more fun to drive.

If you are thinking about doing this uprade, I whole heartedly can recommend it. Now, on to the disc brake conversion ...

Of course, I didn't take pictures - who has time when your working?