Living Room AC issue

asherwin

The living room AC motor on our 2013 BC3650RL starts, seems to labour then stops after a couple of minutes. During this time the fan does not run. Also noticed that when I set the thermostat to fan it will not run whether it is set to high or low. Any suggestions? Thanks

danemayer

Hi asherwin,

If the fan is not running, the A/C is probably freezing up. Don't run it in this condition - you could damage the unit.

Apart from getting it serviced by a professional, you might get up on the roof and remove the cover to see if there's a wasp nest or other obstruction that's keeping the fan from turning.

Be careful - you don't want to get surprised and fall off the roof.

asherwin

Thanks Dan. It was actually the first use since last fall. Now that Florida (or at least parts of it) is warming up I wanted to start it up and cool things down a bit. Took your advice and got on the roof for a look see. After removing the cover I found that the fan was not obstructed but was stuck. I gave it a turn, had my wife turn the unit on and voila, away it went. If only all life's problems were so easy to fix. Thank you.

Bobby A

Thanks Dan. It was actually the first use since last fall. Now that Florida (or at least parts of it) is warming up I wanted to start it up and cool things down a bit. Took your advice and got on the roof for a look see. After removing the cover I found that the fan was not obstructed but was stuck. I gave it a turn, had my wife turn the unit on and voila, away it went. If only all life's problems were so easy to fix. Thank you.

A friend of mine who never uses his front air has the same problem, he has to get on the roof once or twice a year and I think he sprays some lub and frees the fan up, but again, he doesn't use the air hardly at all.

Birchwood

There is nothing you can do unless you are an A/C repair person so call a reputable RV company that is approved to repair your particular A/C.Don't waste your time as its probably an electronic control panel or a similar problem.

Tombstonejim

Well before you give up. Take the cover off and spin the fan by hand. Take a can of spray lube with you when you go up. WD40 will work. I have had the bearings on the fan freeze up from lack of use and weather. Spray the fan bearings and see what happens.

danemayer

Alan,

Glad to hear you've got it working again. It does sound like some lubricant might prevent it from happening again.

Westwind

I'd check with the AC Manufacturer to see what you can spray before you do. A lot of these motors are not suppose to be lubed so spraying something could be more trouble. So that's why I'm suggesting checking first. You should run it through all modes to see if they all function before it gets toooo hot.