Load shedding caused by long power cord?

vanncoe

I have a 2016 Mallard 231 with 30 amp service. I bought used and had it connected to a 30 amp outlet with a 25ft power cord at home while I fixed minor issues on it for a few weeks. All systems worked flawlessly. I moved it to another location which required a 50 to 30 amp step down and an additional 25 foot extension cord to reach power. I’m using a surge protector also. When I energized the A/C and electric water heater, load shedding occurred which shut down the 13,500 btu single A/C and a few A/C outlets. It would cycle on and off every two minutes or so. No breakers were tripped. I switched water heater to gas which solved the problem. Is my issue likely caused by trying to draw from 50ft of power cord and/or the step down from 50 to 30 amps? That’s the only change from the prior setup.

mlpeloquin

You need a heaver gauge wire. You are dropping too much across that length of power cable. Do check the connectors for heat? Perhaps it is in the power post, adapter, or your trailer connector. I always use DeOxit on all power connectors three times a year. I also inspect the power post connector for age and oxidation. I do spray the post connector to remove oxidation when I think it need it.

vanncoe

Ok thanks. The 50 amp service panel is new as well as all cords and connections. What minimum gauge wire would you recommend for 50 to 60 feet?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
According to my calculation, note I am not an electrician, your 30 Amp #10 extension cords at 50 feet should have a voltage loss of about 2.6% which is about 3 volts. Add a little loss for the plugs and you should still be well in the safe operating range.
Have you investigated your source to verify that you are getting 120 volts.
And another thing to consider related to that is since there is a heat wave going on in some areas if you are at a Campground that is experiencing high usage now that could be the problem.

Peace
Dave

vanncoe

Dave, the rig is on some land we are building a new house on. So right now, it’s just the rig, a new power pole and the temporary 200 amp power panel running a well and three power outlets including the 50 amp plug. I think I’ll move the rig closer to the plug and try the 25 ft cord alone. I avoided that due to the pole being on a slope. I’ll report back on the outcome. Would hate to spend on on a new heavier cord if that’s not the issue. Thanks for your advice.