Location of hitch

mobilcastle

I am looking for opinions as to what is the best position of my Companion hitch? It has 4" of front to back adjustment-installer set it all the way back(toward the tailgate). So it can be directly on the axle or 2" in front or behind it. Of course this could be any hitch that has this type adjustment.
Thanks- Steve

alex00

Steve, I ran a Companion for about 6 years. I had mine set all the way back toward the tail gate and all the way up for maximum bed rail clearance. I don't think the few inches of adjustment will make the ride noticeably better or smoother. With it all the way back, it allowed me to come in at a slightly greater angle with the tail gate down, than if the hitch was further forward. I would leave the hitch where they put it, unless you found some clearance issue that forced you to move it forward.

On a side note, the Companion was a great hitch, that NEVER, mis-hitched on me. If the bar locked, it was a good hook.

JanAndBill

We have a long bed with a fixed hitch. Center line of pin is 3/4" in front of the center line of the rear axle. It could use a little more weight to the front, but I plan on installing an auxiliary fuel tank so it will be about right then.

Snow

I am looking for opinions as to what is the best position of my Companion hitch? It has 4" of front to back adjustment-installer set it all the way back(toward the tailgate). So it can be directly on the axle or 2" in front or behind it. Of course this could be any hitch that has this type adjustment.
Thanks- Steve

The companion hitch is such a great hitch it probably won't make a difference lol. But a little towards the front and the heigh just depends I have about 7 inch clearance between the bed and fifth wheel ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️