Lock up your catalytic converter

prty5er

Hey all,

Heads up if you own a newish Ram. Just had my catalytic converter stolen from my 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT. It was stolen in daylight in my home driveway. The thief only needs to unscrew 6 bolts and they have it. Apparantly it takes less than 5 minutes to steal. They get $50-200 for it, but it just cost me $3550 to replace (luckily the insurance covered it). So keep any eye on your truck!

Ken

sorry to hear that it is amazing what people will do.A friend of ours in mich. had hers stolen off of her chevy car they told her that it was a clean cut and they figured they used a saws all battery operated.So I guess we better watch cars and trucks.

ILH

It was in the news last year - the local parking lot for the commuter train was targeted by thrives taking the catalytic converts. It seems to have died down...

sjs731

I beat the thieves to it and just took mine off. I haven't really heard of that being a theft item in WI yet. I work for a manufacturing company that has scrap metal dumpsters all over and we had to install cameras to watch those because scrap was stolen all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

wdk450

I remember reading about Diesel Catalytic Converter thefts in nearby Stockton, Ca. and posting about that on this forum. Law enforcement in the area has been setting up special days with the muffler shop chains to weld your driver's license number onto your Converter to help reduce these thefts. I think that any muffler shop would do this for a small fee. I am lucky that my 2004 Ram was originally sold in Arizona, and doesn't have a converter.