Long Distance Purchases - hearing bad stories

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You have to look at all aspects of the deal.
If you go to pick it up your fuel cost will be in the neighborhood of $2,000. Plus your time and camping/motel fees along the way.
A transport company delivery will probably add around $5,000 to the cost of the RV if you buy locally. Or if the long distance delivers dealer it.
You have to know what the long distance dealer final cost would be and then compare to the price your local dealer wants.

Peace
Dave

Sandpirate69

Dave couldn't have put it any simpler. Basically, do the math. Time taken to drive + fuel + food + lodging = what will the difference be in price? Get a written quote from the dealer up north, then take it to your local dealer and see what they do for you. They may just break even with your numbers and save you a trip. I've been there and they matched my northern quote, on the first rig. I'm on my 2nd with them and they've been great to work with.

Just my experience & 2 cents.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
Dave couldn't have put it any simpler. Basically, do the math. Time taken to drive + fuel + food + lodging = what will the difference be in price? Get a written quote from the dealer up north, then take it to your local dealer and see what they do for you. They may just break even with your numbers and save you a trip. I've been there and they matched my northern quote, on the first rig. I'm on my 2nd with them and they've been great to work with.

Just my experience & 2 cents.

Agreed! We went armed with 3 quotes - RVs For Less (TN), RV Capitol Wholesalers (IN) & Lazy Days (FL) - with the IN quote being the lowest. We gave those quotes to Lazy Days and they gave us a great deal - lowering their original quote to beat the lowest quote by $1000. Definitely worth a try to go to your local dealer and see if they want to try and compete.

driver311

i deliver knoxville to cal.regularly. i would like to be getting 5000. give me a trailer every week. need to get your facts right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hriker

We purchased from RV's for Less in Knoxville, TN and if we had to do it over we wouldn't change a thing. We stayed nearby for three days and only found minor issues, which were quickly corrected. We haven't had any major issues. As far as the trip, it cost us $511 round trip for fuel to travel from Upstate NY to TN and back. Like the other posters here, we also had a great experience with Butch and all their other staff. We have been very happy with the product we purchased from them.

stevebotts

We purchased our new 3685 Bighorn in April from RV Capital in Elkhart. They took our trade and gave us a decent price for it. We stayed in their lot for two days and moved everything from old RV to new one. Found a few things that needed attention and they immediately took are of it. We then moved to Elkhart Campground for three weeks. Really enjoyed the area to include South Bend. Took the RV back one time for a bad battery which they immediately changed out. Overall it was a great experience. We full time so as said above, does not matter to us where we buy the unit. The probability of being close to the selling dealer when a problem arises is slim to none. Almost any dealer will service your RV. Call Heartland first and they will give you the name of the closest authorized repair facility. This is our second long distance purchase. No problems last time either. For the amount you save, I say go for it. If your dealer REALLY wants your business, he will match the price.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I purchased our FW from a dealer about three hours from home. When warranty work was needed after the first couple of trips I called my local dealer (General RV Brownstown) who is Heartland authorized but does not carry my brand. I have since taken it back for another repair (my fault). Both times there were no problems at all and I was even told they would be happy to service my unit any time. Needless to say, when upgrade time comes I will be price comparing and going with the best deal, local or otherwise. My buying experience was great, including PDI and service has been great. Hope it stays that way.

Rosie

Thanks so much for all the information you provided. We have decided to purchase from Great Lakes / RV Capital Wholesalers in Indiana. We ordered exactly what we want and are very excited. We're purchasing a Landmark San Antonio for thousands less than what we can do out here in Washington. There are only a couple of dealers in the state and they just aren't willing to make a good deal. The savings are more than enough to justify driving 2200 miles to pick it up. Hoping to get a final approval from our bank today but all seems to be moving in the right direction.
Thanks again ,
Rosie

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Good luck, Rosie. I hope your experience with them is smoother than ours has been. The SA is a beautiful unit. I'm sure you'll love it. :)

shovelguy

Ditto on the good wishes. We bought our Big Horn five years ago from Hartland in Indiana. In spite of some glitches the experience was a positive one and we saved a large amount of money. We would definitely do it again. d&j

driver311

i hear at the Rally in Louisville at the end of the month there is going to be a big heartland rebate. might be worth waiting!!!!!!!

wildwolfproducts

i hear at the Rally in Louisville at the end of the month there is going to be a big heartland rebate. might be worth waiting!!!!!!!

You can bet if we buy the used one this weekend. There will be a big sale and prices slashed. Always works that way for me. But then again if this deal fails, we can wait uni the first of July to see.
Pete

guyc66

We purchased our 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon last year from Sonny's Camp & Travel in South Carolina. I'm not sure if they are considered a wholesale dealer, but their price was the best hands-down.....even beat RVs For Less offer by $1000. They also gave us several thousand more for our trade which made the deal that much sweeter. We paid $900 for delivery of the new unit and return of the trade-in to where we are staying in South Georgia (420 miles one way) which I thought was a really fair price. The new unit was in perfect condition just like the photos they posted online. Maybe we got lucky but I wouldn't hessitate to purchase again from a dealer out of the local area if the price is right.....just my two cents. I'm sure you will enjoy your new Landmark.....they are great RVs.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Guy, Sonny's is where we saw our first Heartland. :) We were so impressed and that's what started our current journey.

Joy & Jeff

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
We ordered our Bighorn during the Goshen rally last year and drove back to Elkhart to pick it up a couple months later. They service personnel were SUPER and we got an excellent price. We were so impressed with the service department that we intend to visit them when we go to the 2013 rally. Oh, and ours sales lady, Kathleen, owes me a chocolate martini.

Joy & Jeff

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
And we've never had a problem at either of the nearby Heartland authorized service dealers. First come first serve. Money is money and whether it comes from a Heartland warranty or the customer doesn't matter to them.