looking at the BH 3970RD

bagged123

Hello,
New to the forum and we currently own a TT. We are looking to upgrade to a 5'er shortly and we looked at some BH and really liked that. I currently have a '16 2500 CC Duramax and will be upgrading it to a 3500 CC. So I have a few questions for some current BH owners.

1. Dually or not to Dually? I get that the dually adds stability, but will it really be needed, it'll be my daily driver
2. what some pros and cons on the BH and heartland RV's in general?
3. Knowing what you know now of owning a BH, would you buy another one or recommend one to others? If no, why, if yes, why?
4. What makes BH stand out from other 5'er manufacturers?

We looked at several brands and models and looking to get real world feed back from current owners. I know each person has their own flavors, but any information can help

wehavefun

1. Yes I would certainly get a dually to pull the 16,000 lb 5th wheel. Others will argue but I have pulled Bighorns with both, the dual wheel stability in wind is priceless! I would also add disk brakes right away!!!!
2. Pros are I have had 3 Heartland units and I have had excellent luck with each, 2010, 2011 and 2016. Cons they are built by humans that are in a hurry, no different than any other RV, you will need to be handy to keep it perfect.
3. Yes I would recommend and have several times, this forum, their customer service and I feel they have as good or better product as the other manufacturers.
4. Great question, probably this forum and the ability to contact customer service directly to get the parts you will need over the ownership of your camper. Heartland has been around for a few years and I am betting they will be around for quite a few more, thus keep parts availability and re sale value.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If you can deal with dually "hips" ....get one. "If the mirrors clear...so do the "hips". I drive my GMC (see sig) every day and never have a problem. We have had our Horn going on 10 years. Has is needed repairs yes but, so did our sticks and bricks. Are HL trailers perfect...no...but no one builds one and I don't care how much they cost. HL backs up their products better than most and their customer support is the best you will find. As you should know, these thing's need constant inspections and be maintained just like a S/B home.

BTW, Pat and I really like that floor plan.

Aandaar

1. Drive what you are comfortable with. 3970 can be pulled by a SRW you just have to be aware of your weight and if you are not comfortable with the crosswind then get off the road. Thats why you have a rolling house behind you.

2. This is our first HL product. So far so good. No major issues with it and HL customer service has been exceptional. Dealership is a whole other nightmare.

3. May I have another please.

4. Style, this Forum, and customer service.

Photo below says it. Love the 3970 and truck. Message me if you want more detailed information on owning a 3970.

93925fff13de3e68cb1bc73fc0160f61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck, Victoria, and Miss Callie

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think the 3970 is creeping up over 16k nowadays, better check the specs.

We have the Big Country 4010RD, which is very similar plan. We love it! Our 2013 GMC dually hauls it great! A SRW will possibly be overloaded on the pin. There's a lot of weight in front of the axles.

We love the forum, the club and our rig. I can't imagine switching brands. If you ever need help, these folks can do it, and will. And Heartland takes care of customers. I love being able to contact the company direct and have things shipped to me to do things, rather than haul to a dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
We have a BH 3970RD and love it! We pull it with a dually Ford F-350. If you plan to travel where it's hot (100+), make sure you get 3 air conditioners. We only have two and they have a hard time cooling in that heat. We live in Texas. ;)

You will love the Heartland product. Like has been said before, the dealers could use a little help but Heartland customer service is great.

Aandaar

I think the 3970 is creeping up over 16k

Sticker on ours is says 16200 max. With what could be a pin weight of about 3500.

Depending on how you spec your SRW you are getting close but still have a buffer.

You must consider weight and how you load your rig and truck. Wife can't have everything and the kitchen sink. Sorry ladies.

To me it is worth the extra effort and planning to not have a big $&@ to deal with in every day driving. Now maybe when I retire or win the lottery I'll get something like below, until then I am happy.

39035eef70615e4769fa74170ce2e97a.jpg

Sorry SRW VS DRW is a hot topic. Did not mean to hijack treaded. Nuff said back to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
That looks like a 2-L truck. Wayland does a great job with his trucks.

Sarge

My 2 cents -

Get the dually.

Its not just pulling it - Its also stopping and handling weather / wind / etc.

My Ram 3500 DRW is my daily driver - Zero issues except for a few drive thru places I walk in now. Go with the additional stability and safety margin of the much higher weight capacity.

At 19000lbs max trailer weight - I'm only 2/3rds of my Rams max capacity...

Sarge