Looking at trucks need towing advise FAST

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I make out fine but everyone says its the stopping that you have to worry about.

In my opinion the TV brakes are not designed to "stop" what is being towed. That is why brakes are required on trailers over 1500lbs. The trailer should be set up with enough braking power and adjusted correctly so it will theoretically stop itself. Trace

iawoody2

In my opinion the TV brakes are not designed to "stop" what is being towed. That is why brakes are required on trailers over 1500lbs. The trailer should be set up with enough braking power and adjusted correctly so it will theoretically stop itself. Trace
Trace,
Exactly, well stated.

priorguy

That's why there's a breakaway cable to activate the trailer brakes if it disconnects from the TV. Breaking power and towing capacity aren't the limiting factors of a TV, almost always it's the pin weight. And not many account for the fifth wheel hitch, which is a heavy hunk of steel to keep the heavy rolling palace attached to the truck.

OhShoot

Well I think I'm going to pass on the 2500 HD the guy was really pushing me to get the truck thanks to this forum and the great people here I did not make that mistake . Now that I know I need a 3500 hd chevy or a ford f350 or a dodge 3500 , maybe y'all could be so kind in telling me witch truck I should get and why , witch one holds up better , rides better handles better , is it better to have 4 wheel drive 4 wheels or dually truck in 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel drive . Thanks

priorguy

Everyone will say their truck is the best. It mostly comes down to personal taste. Which interior you want to sped your time in. I've always believed if you buy a truck 2x4 is only half the truck. You will encounter a need for it inevitably. I live in a snowy area so it's necessary. As for dually or not, depends on the load capacity you need. It needs more room to park so keep that on mind. Hopefully some who own these trucks will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Whichever 1 Ton you settle on, before committing, check the payload spec. There's a huge spread. I ran into some SRW Dodge 3500s that had only 300 pounds more payload than the 2500. Competing GMC and Fords had up to 1600 pounds additional payload. But that all is going to vary by brand, year, bed length, cab type, etc. Check the payload spec or label on the exact truck you're considering.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Whichever 1 Ton you settle on, before committing, check the payload spec. There's a huge spread. I ran into some SRW Dodge 3500s that had only 300 pounds more payload than the 2500. Competing GMC and Fords had up to 1600 pounds additional payload. But that all is going to vary by brand, year, bed length, cab type, etc. Check the payload spec or label on the exact truck you're considering.

Agreed! Looked at a sweet 2010 GMC on the used car lot, fully loaded and hitch, too. When I researched it, turns out its rear axle rating was only 200lbs more capacity than our 2004. Not good enough for what we hope to tow someday.

mobilcastle

Specs on the 2011 Chevy models were raised quite a bit since they beefed up their framing etc. I waited for the change to buy my truck. I am very happy with a dually however some prefer a SWR. As stated above go look at the truck and check the specs on the door. I pulled a 10K sob 5ver with a F250 and I would not have wanted to pull any heavier weight with it-good luck with your truck buy whatever it is.
Agreed! Looked at a sweet 2010 GMC on the used car lot, fully loaded and hitch, too. When I researched it, turns out its rear axle rating was only 200lbs more capacity than our 2004. Not good enough for what we hope to tow someday.

Birchwood

For me ride quality when unloaded is very important,durability is next and then its high tow rating.My GMC does't look like a tough boy truck like a massive 4 by 4 Dodge dually but it rides like a car so we find it awesome.We have no requirement for four wheel drive as we are in Florida all winter and I don't boat.If you don't use the 4 wd system often it will seize.Dually or SRW .....I would prefer a SRW but my trailer is heavy and prefer no swaying so dually it is.

rgwilliams69

Calculations aside on maximums - there is what you can do, and what is comfortable for long towing missions and makes you feel safe and secure. I had 3/4 ton and 1 ton SRW Ford rigs towing some pretty heavy 5th wheels within tolerances. Fords pull great also (the new 800hp/400torque diesel) so both did the job. But with my last acquisition of a Cyclone 4100 King we were definitely in 1 ton DRW range by all calculations. I can say that the 4 wheels in the back make it feel SO much more stable and easier to tow - I have almost 18,000k pounds back there and you can barely tell it is behind you while on the interstate. The math is good to check and see, but in my experience the 1 ton DRW is so much more comfortable if you have somewhere you can park the beast and are not afraid to drive it around town, I would go right to that. Then you really don't even have to worry about the math... Absolutely love the dually and won't be towing anything over 12k or so without one any more. Best advice, "Don't skimp on the truck!" :)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Greg, I think its 800 torque and 400 hp. GM trucks from 2011 and up have the same ratings.

rgwilliams69

Haha yeah Bob, I guess that was wishful thinking. Although I've noticed that 400hp/800tq is really more than I need to even tow the Cyclone - plenty of power to spare. Sorry for the transpose. I'm sure I'll hear from all the Ram folks on the forum for that gaffe. :)

mobilcastle

My Chevy 3500 has an excellent ride. Whatever truck you buy I would drive it and check out the ride.
For me ride quality when unloaded is very important,durability is next and then its high tow rating.My GMC does't look like a tough boy truck like a massive 4 by 4 Dodge dually but it rides like a car so we find it awesome.We have no requirement for four wheel drive as we are in Florida all winter and I don't boat.If you don't use the 4 wd system often it will seize.Dually or SRW .....I would prefer a SRW but my trailer is heavy and prefer no swaying so dually it is.

scottyb

I pulled my 4100 for more miles than I should have with a SRW Chevy 3500. The difference in stability with the DRW is like night and day. Now a stiff cross wind is just a little annoyance. Before it was a white knuckle ride.

DW_Gray

I don't think the 2006 truck will be big enough to tow the Gateway 3500 RE. However, most of the newer 250/2500 trucks is more than adequate to tow this trailer. I also think getting a dually for this trailer is overkill. Now if you think you will get a bigger trailer sometime in the future that has a GVWR of 18,000 pounds, then go ahead and buy a dually now.

Please call me or send a PM to discuss the calculators.

jlb27537

You will find that those of us that have been doing this for a while are all driving DRW trucks. The newer guys, guys that need a daily driver, still working, will tell you a SRW truck will PULL anything. And, Yes they are correct they will pull anything. But with a trailer that has a 14K GVWR you will weigh close to 2,800lbs on the pin OR MORE. My trailer weighs 14,500lbs and I have 3,200lbs on the pin

Your trailer is already short on brakes. A 14K trailer with 2x6K axles is asking the truck to stop 2k of the weight, assuming the trailer brakes are @ 100%.. One trip across Kansas in a good cross wind will make a believer out of you that your NEXT truck will be a DRW. One trip out west down a 10 mile 6% grade will tell you a good exhaust brake is a must have.

Happy shopping

Thedonald

I agree with cookie. I have a 2007 2500 HD 4x4 duramax with a 6 ft bed and pull a Bighorn 3685 dry weight 11000 gross 15500. It does fine. Having said that, if I were a full timer and loading it down accordingly I might want to get a bigger truck. I have made trips mostly in the east and usually only for a couple of weeks at the outside. I also don't run with full tanks and we don't carry a lot of dry cargo. I run very comfortably on the interstate with cruise and on tight back roads. I want to stay away from the larger truck because of some of the sightseeing we have done the extra size would certainly be a problem. I am comfortable, but each of us must do what feels good for us. Good luck.