Looking for repair and maintenance info on Ford vs. Chevy...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Does anyone have a 2016 F350 Ford?? Probably it would be the same for a 2017.. I think they all are about 59". If that is true I think most of the trailers stand about the same height above the ground when setting level. If so measure the height of the bed rail when your trailer is on the truck and how much clearance is between the bed rails and the trailer...

Thanks
BC

rxbristol

Yeah...Thanks Rex. I appreciate your effort. Is your Ford a F250 or F350. That could make a difference. That is about the same as my F250. I plan to check with the dealer and see if I can get under my trailer and if the 2016 F350 will drop enough to give me room to turn and not hit the bed rail...

My truck is a F350. The 4x4 does sit a lot higher. The two wheel drive are harder to find.

rxbristol

The new truck I am looking at is a 4x4. What year is yours. Does it set 59" to the rail when not connected to the trailer.

Bob, it's a 2014 and the top of the tailgate is just under 54 inches when not connected. If you get a 4x4 you'll going to have to adjust the kingpin and or the hitch to get you're rig to set level.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Bob, it's a 2014 and the top of the tailgate is just under 54 inches when not connected. If you get a 4x4 you'll going to have to adjust the kingpin and or the hitch to get you're rig to set level.

I agree. I am concerned that the bed of the truck will go down far enough that I can get the trailer to ride level even with adjustments. I would hate to have a truck that when I pull my trailer that it is nose up with all the adjustments and the bed rails to the trailer is so close that when I make a turn or exit a parking lot that has a lot of dip when leaving my bed will hit the truck.

Maybe I am to concerned. I think there is a lot of new trucks out there and no concern has been posted that I can find...

Thanks for the info.

BC

coltsdad

Texas-North Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bob you could always put a C&M bed like I have on my truck, and not have to worry about bed rail height and have all the storage compartment to boot.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Bob you could always put a C&M bed like I have on my truck, and not have to worry about bed rail height and have all the storage compartment to boot.

Yes.. I thought about going to Classy Chassis and see what they have. They might be able to help me...

Thanks

BC

IronJ

Ive posted my measured somewhere on here before..yhe exacts of my 2012 srw and 2015 drw...the drw is litted 4" and still had a tailgate height of 58" or so the drw 350 vs srw 350 are significantly diff....that said my trailer is 2" of level on my drw with. 35" tires and 1"level on stock.

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

BBslider001

I may be late to the show, but FWIW, we had two hauling trucks for our Cutting Horse and cattle business. They were always hooked up to a Goosneck weighing no less than 10k on any given day. A 2015 Ford 6.7 F350 and a 2015 GMC 3500HD with the Duramax. The GMC NEVER needed anything but an oil change. The 6.7 was in the shop numerous times for little ridiculous stuff and two major repairs. One was the turbo and the other was fuel system related. I like the Ford better looks wise, but for everyday work and hauling, I would take the GMC any day.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Bring a big check :rolleyes:

Yeah
boy did I choke. 80 to 90k. Wants me to use a F450. That's twice the price of the F350 here. Nada...

I am thinking that when I put the trailer on the F350 it will drop down to a good level to tow the trailer. There are a lot of recent 1 ton trucks towing trailers like mine, and I am sure they are about the same unloaded bed height. The bed has to go down about 3" just to set on the over load springs and then I would guess a bit more to hold the load. My pin weight is about 3200lbs. I think that would have it to settle down a bit.

Pray and trust the Lord.

BC

jnbhobe

Bob, my 11 truck was exactly what you looked at, I dragged my 15K trailer all over the midwest and east coast with no problems.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
like Jon's previous TV, mine's a '12 F350 SRW. Definitely sits higher than a DRW. 82K miles, 35K towing 2 different Bighorns. It's been across country 4 times and to AK and back. Only routine maintenance, hardly broke in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well I am now owner of a 2016 F350 Diesel SRW 4WD Pickup..
Here's what I got..

2016 F350 Ford Pickup at Dealership.jpg

Now all i have to do is all the extra stuff. External tank, Dash Cam, Alarm System and Remote Start, B&W 5th Wheel, Bed liner.

I should be ready for the Sweetheart Rally..

More later.. Thank you all for your responses.. It really helped me a lot. You all have always been a great help to others and I really appreciate you.

God Bless and Safe Travels

BC

I am going to sell my 11 year old F250.. Later..

Kbvols

That is one beautiful looking truck! Love the color. Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Well I am now owner of a 2016 F350 Diesel SRW 4WD Pickup..
Here's what I got..

View attachment 48973

Now all i have to do is all the extra stuff. External tank, Dash Cam, Alarm System and Remote Start, B&W 5th Wheel, Bed liner.

I should be ready for the Sweetheart Rally..

More later.. Thank you all for your responses.. It really helped me a lot. You all have always been a great help to others and I really appreciate you.

God Bless and Safe Travels

BC

I am going to sell my 11 year old F250.. Later..

Congratulations Bob that is a nice rig! I really like that color.