Looking for suggestions with my new 2012 F350 SD DRW

caissiel

I am on my 4th truck pulling 5th wheels and always carried all my tools in the truck. I also use my truck in the summer season for my business and the box has to be free of any added boxes. The floor is all natural and the floor has never shown excessive wear and tear. I hate to have to clean rough surfaces, so the smooth finish suites me well and liners are to slippery for my need.
I have a 20Gallons extra tank against the front box wall that only takes 5 in, and can be removed in 15 minutes if emptied.
I bought 2 identicle in rail height truck boxes with identical keys and cut one down to be installed behind the V notched tailgate, that I made super heavy that I can use, I put all my mechanical tools in the lower rear box and the Kayaking equipment in the front full height box.
The 5th wheel fits between the boxes and only put heavy stuff there while traveling, and in 18 years never lost anything in that location, so I don't see the need of a soft cover that any one that wants to see what I have valuable there can cut the soft topwith a knife. Have you seen the knives the carry these days, I have convertible cars and never leave anything valuable inside so my tops never get ripped.
I have made all my racks on the trailer and the truck and they are heavy duty and made not to fail.
This fall we came down to Florida with the 16ft tandum kayak sitting on top of the cab in front of the Big Country and it was a blessin as it was the cheapest wind deflector I have ever used as it acted like one and saved a lot on fuel mileage.

Of course my truck is a summer work horse and set up so it can be both the towrig and the worker. And in some 15 minutes can be converted. Yes I use side racks on the truck in the summer, something I never seen on a pickup for years, and I get lots of comment about them. Its so unpracticle to have an 8 ft box that can only hold 21 inches of stuff, and the sides get all scrached if not using racks. I usualy load to above the cab when the truck works.

porthole

Retired
That is a cool way to mount the flaps. Is that a custom made mount or is it a manufactured mount? I would be interested in buying one if it is manufactured.

The mount is a "over the hitch draw bar" mount similar to what Deb (dbylinski) linked too. I used an extra drawbar, cut the end off flush with the flap and then cut some lexan in a triangle, painted satin black and glued on.

Also though bolted the stop bolts.
//heartlandowners.org/images/statusicon/user-offline.png

porthole

Retired
Hey Jim, Porthole is right! The best you can buy in the mud flaps is dura-flap. Talk to Dennis out there and get yours customized with the HL Logo. Look what Santa brought John! The Heartland Owners Club Logo is laser cut Stainless.

I will email you more pics of our Pace Edwards Cover later today.

Looks good Deb & John

Tool958

We actually purchased the mount from Porthole last June. Here is a LINK to some if that's what you're looking for.
Thanks for posting the link. That set-up would sure keep a lot of the rocks and slop off of the front of our coach. I looked but didn't have much luck finding them online. Never thought about looking on etrailer. I've ordered several things from them in the past.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Well first let me say thanks to all my friends and new friends for their ideas. (except for the Dodge Owner idea). Pickup up my new ride today in DUrham NC great buy from UNiversity Ford no one up near us in NY came close to the deal I got down here. OK now its time for the mud flaps, toolbox and bed rollup cover. TPMS and whatever elese I think I need will follow. Special thanks to porthole and dbylinski for their pics and ideas. Happy New Year to all. Let's Camp.

ncc1701e

I am on my 4th truck pulling 5th wheels and always carried all my tools in the truck. I also use my truck in the summer season for my business and the box has to be free of any added boxes. The floor is all natural and the floor has never shown excessive wear and tear. I hate to have to clean rough surfaces, so the smooth finish suites me well and liners are to slippery for my need.
I have a 20Gallons extra tank against the front box wall that only takes 5 in, and can be removed in 15 minutes if emptied.
I bought 2 identicle in rail height truck boxes with identical keys and cut one down to be installed behind the V notched tailgate, that I made super heavy that I can use, I put all my mechanical tools in the lower rear box and the Kayaking equipment in the front full height box.
The 5th wheel fits between the boxes and only put heavy stuff there while traveling, and in 18 years never lost anything in that location, so I don't see the need of a soft cover that any one that wants to see what I have valuable there can cut the soft topwith a knife. Have you seen the knives the carry these days, I have convertible cars and never leave anything valuable inside so my tops never get ripped.
I have made all my racks on the trailer and the truck and they are heavy duty and made not to fail.
This fall we came down to Florida with the 16ft tandum kayak sitting on top of the cab in front of the Big Country and it was a blessin as it was the cheapest wind deflector I have ever used as it acted like one and saved a lot on fuel mileage.

Of course my truck is a summer work horse and set up so it can be both the towrig and the worker. And in some 15 minutes can be converted. Yes I use side racks on the truck in the summer, something I never seen on a pickup for years, and I get lots of comment about them. Its so unpracticle to have an 8 ft box that can only hold 21 inches of stuff, and the sides get all scrached if not using racks. I usualy load to above the cab when the truck works.

May I ask, what brand of fuel tank? Where did you purchase?