Looking to buy new rv

Glenna

We are going to buy a bighorn 2010. But we want a generator. It has some wires hanging down from the fron storage area? Can we buy from lowes or do we need to go to a dealer?

jimtoo

Hi Glenna,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and soon to the family. We have lots of good information here and all willing to share.

Unless you know what your doing, consult a qualified service person.

Jim M

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Glenna, welcome to the forum and hopefully to the Heartland Family. There is a ton of information here.
If you are looking for a generator there are things to consider.
Do you want LP, gasoline or diesel power. I think the most common on most RV's is the LP. Some use gasoline, few use diesel.
Generators in RV's are pretty much built for an RV. You cannot just go to Lowes, pick up a genny and put it in the RV.
You have to be mindful of ventilation, exhaust and a transfer switch.
What about power consumption, what do you intend to power with the genny? They are not all created equal.
The wires hanging down in the compartment, do you know what they are for, or where they go to?
Just a couple of thoughts on my end.
Many people including myself carry portable generators.

Peace
Dave

Bkupplan

I just added a gen set to my 2011 BH3670. Mine is not prewired for a generator. So, to make every thing work I purchased a Yamaha 3000 with boost and electric start. I had the dealer I purchased it from convert it to a tri fuel carburetor. I have a portable mount that I cable and lock in the bed of my truck and that secures it when I am traveling. I then run a gas line from the gen set to the propane tanks I have on the 5er. hook up an extension cord and I am in business for the night or as long as I need it. The best part about tri-fuel is that it runs on LP, Natural Gas or Gasoline. I am a cpap user and when we stop over night when traveling, it is a quick and easy setup. The Yamaha is a very quiet generator. I get about 23 hrs. of generator run time on a 20lb tank, if I don't run the AC unit. If you are going to use a storage compartment, then always consult a certified dealer and have them install it for you. The fumes given off by a generator is very dangerous and a generator in a confined space needs to be vented properly.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have a 3K watt portable gen that stays in the bed of the truck. I added a plug in the front of the Horn but installed a transfer switch and a double throw 30 amp breaker in an empty spot in the circuit breaker panel. Works great and we have all of the front compartment for junk. Cant run the A/c and convection oven/mirowave at the same time though.