Lost OTA reception

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
SOLVED…details in Post #13

Do these stubby king jack antennas fail? Has anyone ever replaced one because of failure?

Lost our OTA tv on the way home from TX. In TX reception was everything from spotty to very good but I blamed that on distance and weather. Didn’t bother researching much because we have dish tv too.
Anyway one overnight stop we were watching OTA until poof, nothing.
So since then I replaced my one & only splitter and the power booster in the closet and checked the connection to the antenna in the ceiling
Next I guess I’m going to buy a coax signal tester.
Campground cable TV works fine in both TVs.
Any sensible helpful suggestions?

Attachments

• 4F3748A1-D882-47D5-96DC-86E42E20CD61.jpeg
    4F3748A1-D882-47D5-96DC-86E42E20CD61.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Check the connection to the antenna. They can develop oxidation over time and block the signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin2

Check the connection to the antenna. They can develop oxidation over time and block the signal.

Checked the connection for tightness, John. But Unlike the crank up model the connection is actually in the ceiling and not exposed to the elements

Dahillbilly

Checked the connection for tightness, John. But Unlike the crank up model the connection is actually in the ceiling and not exposed to the elements
They can still oxide even when out of the elelments, especially if you are near salt water(oceans,gulf)

travelin2

Ok. FWIW, I have bypassed all internal cabling. I have a direct connection from the front of the booster plate to the bedroom TV. Also have a jumper from the antenna port on the back of the booster directly to the antenna connection

This is not the old crank up style antenna. There are no external fittings. The only connection is at the antenna base in the ceiling

Hence I’m wondering if any internal connections in the antenna proper are faulty. My next step is to call support at King

JohnDar

When you contact King, ask if they can provide a parts diagram showing the inner workings (if your manual doesn’t have one). Might give you a lead on where a connection might be a problem.

The OTA antennas I used on our old rig were all the crank up type. I did change the heads over time, but reception was always sketchy being under trees. Even satellite became useless as the trees leaves thickened through spring & summer. WiFi streaming became the only way to watch shows, connecting the laptop to the TV.

centerline

This is not the old crank up style antenna.
too bad for you.....
there is not a single manufacture that is producing a better, more dependable, long range antenna than the "old crank up style" winegard sensar IV antenna.... the only exception being satellite dishes/receivers.

there are manufactures that claim their disc antennas are digital, HD, super long range, or some other false information, and all the newer disc type antennas are NON-directional, which means they CANT be tuned to pick up weak signal....
many weak signals that cant be used or found by the disc antennas, can be tuned in to a good strong signal with the winegard sensar......

after using them and trying different models and brands, the only upside I can find to the discs are, when you are near a city they can work decently well, and there is no cranking up, tuning, or forgetting to crank it back down.. but even with a straight shot from the transmitting station tower, the disc antennas may have trouble seeing it over a few miles away...

for the best available reception in any location you may find yourself, one either needs a satellite receiver, or a Sensar antenna.... because if there is a measurable, local signal available, the sensar will find it... unlike the "omni" directional disc antennas.

"Omni directional" does not mean its a better technology antenna, but it simply means that the signal seen by the antenna is as good as its going to get in every direction, so that pointing it in the direction the signal is coming from has no improvement in its performance, or reception of the signal...

Last edited:

travelin2

Progress…after discovery of a troubleshooting flow chart and a chat with King support I’m quite sure the antenna head has crapped out
I’ll confirm my results with King later this morning and likely be ordering a replacement

JohnDar

I’ve got a nice DISH portable satellite system sitting in my basement looking for a good home

travelin2

I’ve got a nice DISH portable satellite system sitting in my basement looking for a good home

LOL!! We subscribe to Dish on the Go when we’re out for a month or more

Thanks anyway John

JohnDar

It worked great for a few seasons until the oaks to the south got bigger🥲

travelin2

They certainly fail according to King and mine did. New antenna solved the problem

I found a troubleshooting manual with a flow chart on line. (I’ll put the link in the next post). Using that & confirming with King support I replaced the original with today’s version

Attachments

• 59CC15E6-1905-4C76-8711-5F025BB72EE9.jpeg
    59CC15E6-1905-4C76-8711-5F025BB72EE9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8