Low point drains

Rcnewell11

Just checking on why landmarks don't have low point drains on ashland or other units .i have seen many units with them and wonder why my ashland does not .thanks rob

danemayer

Hi Rob,

Low point drains can cause problems in cold weather. The drain valve is exposed to outside temps and there's an inch or two of standing water above the valve that is also exposed. When temps drop below freezing, the water above the valve freezes and the ice can wick up into the tee, blocking the water line.

Your fresh tank drain has that exposure and many people camping in cold climates either heat the exposed line, or insulate (or both), or push the drain hose up above the coroplast.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I think Heartland discontinue with low point drains about 2011 except for the fresh water tank. Our 2007 Sundance and 2008 Big Country had all low point drains but our 2012 Big Country did not. Our new Landmark only has the fresh water low point drain.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
I guess I am not sure what a low point drain is? We have an Ashland and there is a small hose that comes down near were the kitchen is and is looks to be the way you drain ALL the water from the system. We got our unit in December and emptied all the water out of it for it freezes where we are. Based on what I read I thought this was the low point drain but I could be wrong.

Just checking on why landmarks don't have low point drains on ashland or other units .i have seen many units with them and wonder why my ashland does not .thanks rob

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I guess I am not sure what a low point drain is? We have an Ashland and there is a small hose that comes down near were the kitchen is and is looks to be the way you drain ALL the water from the system. We got our unit in December and emptied all the water out of it for it freezes where we are. Based on what I read I thought this was the low point drain but I could be wrong.

That single hose (with valve) is the drain for your fresh water tank. If you had low point drains for the water system, there would be a red and blue hose (with valves) hanging underneath, probably on the door side of the rig. My BH has them, but as mentioned, they were discontinued. Since I don't camp in the cold, they are actually useful when winterizing and dewinterizing, to clear the lines.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
John,

Thanks for the understanding. I was getting a little worried that I was missing something. Also thanks for the pictures.

That single hose (with valve) is the drain for your fresh water tank. If you had low point drains for the water system, there would be a red and blue hose (with valves) hanging underneath, probably on the door side of the rig. My BH has them, but as mentioned, they were discontinued. Since I don't camp in the cold, they are actually useful when winterizing and dewinterizing, to clear the lines.