Low voltage and power going off constantly

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had this happen at a park near Canton last August. When we spoke to the park, they called Oncor. Turns out, a transformer down the road was having issues. I know it was over 100 outside and power going off and on was very frustrating. Once we alerted the park, etc, in about 3 hours, all was well. Not sure what exactly was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCTalley

If your EMS has the remote display, look and see if one of the two legs is low on voltage and the other OK. If so, the 30 Amp hookup might be worth trying if you have a dogleg. IF nothing else, hook up to it and see what the EMS reads out on that (both legs should show the same voltage as they are effectively the same).

rxbristol

It is hot, but I have turned off everything electrical except one AC (bedroom) and the power is off again. The ems is cutting the power because of low voltage. It is hard wired into the trailer so we can't just take it off. We are at a Jellystone park and our grandson is not keen on leaving!

The new Jellystone in Wichita Falls does not have an electricity problem. Maybe come up here where we put the Number 2 in H2O.

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
The new Jellystone in Wichita Falls does not have an electricity problem. Maybe come up here where we put the Number 2 in H2O.

Sounds good! I'll look into it. We left. The park said they have had issues ever since they added cabins in sites. They did call the power company and they said they are overloaded. They are also starting rolling blackouts this weekend. We did get a partial refund, but that doesn't help my grandson's disappointment. We will try to find somewhere else tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help!

Thanks,

Nancy Anderson
North Texas Chapter Leader

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
This is why we carry a Hughes autoformer...it boosts the voltage when the pedestal is at low voltage, and therefore allows the EMS to let the power in. You are probably near the end of a run in the pedestals from the source of the power, and it will drop little by little from the first hookup to the last, especially when the power is being taxed, as it appears it is where you are. We had this situation while we were in DC for close to a month and finally had to move to another campground with more adequate power.

There is effectively nothing else you can do...the EMS is doing it's job....

never heard of a Hughes auto former. I'll look into this.
thanks!

donr827

You might try a couple of fans. They will make it feel cooler to the body. Sort of like a nice breeze on a hot day. Don

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
never heard of a Hughes auto former. I'll look into this.
thanks!

We have had one for years...it is basically a transformer that boosts the incoming voltage by 10%. If the pedestal is putting out 104 it will Increase it to114...this allows the EMS to pass the power to the coach. It is not cheap, but worth every penny when needed while still allowing you to protect your coach.

porthole

Retired
This is why we carry a Hughes autoformer...it boosts the voltage when the pedestal is at low voltage, and therefore allows the EMS to let the power in. You are probably near the end of a run in the pedestals from the source of the power, and it will drop little by little from the first hookup to the last, especially when the power is being taxed, as it appears it is where you are. We had this situation while we were in DC for close to a month and finally had to move to another campground with more adequate power.

There is effectively nothing else you can do...the EMS is doing it's job....

You ever try using that on a 30 or lower circuit?

I have and it seems to offer no benefit. I'm wondering if it only works correctly if the unit is indeed pulling off a 50 amp connection.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
As I said earlier...that's what allows us to get power when the EMS shuts us down due to low voltage....works perfectly!