LP alarm nuisance trips

Gaffer

Don't know whats going on with my LP alarm. Goes off once in awhile for no apparrent reason. This morning @ 2:00. I have had it go off when I spray lubed the slide rails and when the wife sprayed a good amount of lysol in the toilet area for odor control and I can understand the cause and effect in both cases.
The unit has three LED lights and a reset button. Green is Okay red is alarm and yellow indicates replacement due. The lable says to replace in 2014. I went through the zip pouch with all the product info but could not find one for the Safe-T-Alert RV LP Dectector. Hoping for a trouble shooting guide. Anyone else have this problem? Furnace has been off for weeks and the fridge is running on AC.

danemayer

Ours was going off last winter for no apparent reason. I pulled it out of the wall and found a little water had dripped on it. Left it sitting on the floor and it worked fine. Got rid of the leak and haven't heard it go off since. Can't be sure it was the water, but maybe it's also a water leak detector.:cool:

nscaler2

I don't know if I have a solution for you or not, but ours does the same thing when we take the BH out of storage. When we put it in I take the battery out and take it with me so I can keep a charge on it. When I reconnect the battery I have to hit the reset button on the LP alarm at least 3 times before it settles down and shuts up. Don't know what causes it. Sometimes goes of when my wife puts on the mosquito repellent. She goes outside to do it now.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Ours was going off and DW had put a cinnamon air freshener on top of the cabinet above it. I moved it and it stopped. It was on the Sundance just as you come in and you would be greeted with a nice cinnamon smell and annoying beeps. I think they are sensitive to more than LP.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The LP detector is designed to detect flammable hydrocarbons, calibrated to propane. Other airborne solvents/aerosols may trip it, however. Similar in function to our 4-gas monitors, only with a single sensor.

I also pull the battery when putting the rig into winter storage. No problem with the LP detector acting up, though.

Mea_Dow

I was cooking shrimp I marinated in Parrot Bay coconut rum and my lp sensor went off when the alcohol started burning off. It wouldn't stop screaming until I stopped cooking. Hubby had to sit there holding the button. Lol.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Ours was going off and DW had put a cinnamon air freshener on top of the cabinet above it. I moved it and it stopped. It was on the Sundance just as you come in and you would be greeted with a nice cinnamon smell and annoying beeps. I think they are sensitive to more than LP.

Told you wrong, it was our smoke alarm not the LP alarm that was going off from the cinnamon air freshener. The LP detector did, however, go off on me once. I had hooked up in our storage spot and forgot to turn the breaker on to the outlet. When the battery was almost drained it started going off. I had the same issue with low battery when my power converter went out.