lug nut size?

wyleyrabbit

I am going to go and buy a torque wrench and appropriately sized deep socket tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what six of socket to buy for my 2009 3055RL with the 16" aluminum wheels?

Thanks,
Chris

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hello Wabbit
I actually have two torque wrenches. I like the clicker type I got at Sears (Craftsman) and it should go up to at least 150 ft lbs. This will work for the 110 on the trailer and 150 on the TV (if it is a Ford with 17" Alum Rims). I also have a short, about 3", extension.

One thing I also did, was to replace the lug nuts. If you take a trailer lug nut off you will notice that it has a metal cover over the acutual metal nut. If this cover starts to slip or is bent you might have a problem getting the lug nut off. I bought all new lug nuts that are all steel and are longer (deeper) than the standard lug nut.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I also use a 3" extension.

A 3" extension with a deep well socket is just right on ANY trailer wheel. Without the extension, the torque wrench is hitting the tire when trying to tighten the lugs.

pmmjarrett

I notice that torque wrenches come in 1/2" and 3/8". Is there a reason to get one over the other?

Get one that works in the range you need. You want your working range in the mid point of the wrenches overall range. Various trailers run anywhere from about 90 - 150 ft lbs on the lug nuts, look for a wrench with around a 50 - 200 ft lb range give or take a bit and you'll be fine. A wrench in this range is most likely going to be 1/2" drive. I use 1/2" drive myself.

BTW ... They also come in 1/4", 3/4", 1" and beyond as well as inch pound, ft pound and metric. Watch what you get.

rckc228

Luv the new avatar. Guess we know what you think of our new leader. I did not vote for him ,but am willing and hoping he learns quickly.

wyleyrabbit

Thanks for your help everyone. I purchased a good 1/2" torque wrench, a 5" extension (they didn't have the 3" one in stock), and a nice set of deep sockets. :)

Seems to me I remember hearing that there's a manual override for the slides and the landing gear. Anyone know what size socket that uses?

Any other "must have" tools?

pmmjarrett

Thanks for your help everyone. I purchased a good 1/2" torque wrench, a 5" extension (they didn't have the 3" one in stock), and a nice set of deep sockets. :)

Seems to me I remember hearing that there's a manual override for the slides and the landing gear. Anyone know what size socket that uses?

Any other "must have" tools?

Can't help you on the slides but for must have. Carry a better jack than what comes with the truck and several blocks of wood to put under the stabilizers and other various uses like for wheel chocks when needed.

Safe travels.None

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Wabbit
The landing gears are electric. The motor is connected to a reduction gearbox. That gearbox has a large rod that you use a handle that was provided by Heartland. It looks like the crank for my dads old model T. The reduction gearbox is connected to another gearbox that is connected to a landing jack probably on the door side. A square bar connects the landing jacks. If you have a problem with the motor you can remove the motor then raise or lower jacks manually. In fact you can use a wrench on the square bar that goes between the jacks.

I know this because when I was in Nova Scotia I had to have the motor and gear box replaced. The jacks will not drop if you remove the motor and gearboxes. This and all of the above was told to me by the technician that came out to replace the motor while I watched him. I bugged him with a lot of questions as everyone would suspect. :D