Maine to DC (out around NYC)

Mainerunr

Just wondering if anyone can fill me in on how hilly I84/I81 is. Planning a trip to DC and want no part of I95 through NY/NJ so was planning on I84 to Scranton then I81 to Harrisburg and either I83 to I695 around Baltimore or staying on I81 to Hagerstown then I70/270.

Hoping the reduced stress will offset the additional time on the road but really I am speculating that traffic will be a lot lighter on this route than staying on I95 would be (even on a Saturday).

Also, can anyone confirm whether EZPass works at all the tolls long that route?

Thanks for any input.

Oh, one other question...how do you keep your fridge cold on a long trip during the summer? (or is it just not an issue?)

mlburst1

The route that you are planning is an easy ride - I always avoid I695 around Baltimore and stay on I81 - no significant hills and your E-ZPass will work for all tolls.

NH5er

I can't comment on your entire route, but I have done I84 to I81 in PA. In my opinion it is worth the extra miles to avoid New York and New Jersey. I would suggest one route change around Hartford though. As I remember it was 91 to 691. This avoids traffic in Hartford.
Jim

Mainerunr

I can't comment on your entire route, but I have done I84 to I81 in PA. In my opinion it is worth the extra miles to avoid New York and New Jersey. I would suggest one route change around Hartford though. As I remember it was 91 to 691. This avoids traffic in Hartford.
Jim

I will take a look at that, thanks.

Mainerunr

Just got home last night. Lots of construction in I81. GPS said 10h15m, I figured 12hours, took 13+ to get there and just under 13 to get home.