Mallard M260 - black tank sensor ?

Number409

My black tank sensor doesn’t work with crap. I’ve tried putting a bag of ice in while driving, no success. Is there a better way to het the sensor to work properly or a new system that does monitor level accurately of my black tank.

Number409

Since I’m a newbie, that’s what I’m afraid of. Our son and his family are newbie full-time RVers, his black tank overflowed and what a mess. Any words of wisdom?

david-steph2018

Number409, when our grey tank "gurgles" it is time to dump it. When the toilet "burps" when flushed it is time to dump the black tank. What I mean by "burp", is an air bubble comes up when you push the dump lever.
Dump the black tank first, followed by the grey. This way the grey tank helps to clean the hose.

jerryjay11

I've had some luck with Calgon water softener and Dawn dish soap.
Try adding two cups of Calgon to one gallon of warm water, and one cup of Dawn liquid dish soap down the toilet. You can use the Calgon for the gray water too without the Dawn since there is already soap there. The Calgon helps to keep the sensors from collecting gunk and the dawn adds to cleaning and helps the scent. I still use RV chemicals in addition. It's not perfect, but I do see an improved reading on my panel. It may take several trips to show improvement. The old ice trick has been proven to me via different RV web reviews not so reliable. Keep in mind that the sensor accuracy for these tanks have never been great. I always back up with a visual inspection while camping.

MDH2021

Number409, when our grey tank "gurgles" it is time to dump it. When the toilet "burps" when flushed it is time to dump the black tank. What I mean by "burp", is an air bubble comes up when you push the dump lever.
Dump the black tank first, followed by the grey. This way the grey tank helps to clean the hose.
Hello Number409,
We have the unit as you. Our sensors show full when tanks are not. We follow the above for our black and grey. If the bathroom sink is slow to drain its time to dump. On the black tank you can double check with a flashlight as the toilet is a straight drop into the tank. We hardly ever fill the galley tank to full so we just dump all three when needed.

CoveredWagon

If you black tank fills before the grey tanks you need a doctor not a plumber.
Your best bet is to flush the black tank (using the black tack fill/flush port) a couple of times every time you dump it.