Managed to dodge two bullets in Baton Rouge

jeffdee

I live in an area of Baton Rouge that received more than 32 inches of rain in 72 hours. All my neighbors for miles around me were flooded 1 to 5 feet deep in their homes. I built my home in 1992 to an elevation 3 feet above historic inundation records. When the waters rose I had 29 inches to go to reach the floor level of my home. My home was spared. However the garage took 30 inches of water. I have two classic Mustang convertibles that were submerged to the dash. The waters came up very fast.

Fortunately my Cyclone was at the dealer getting awnings installed. It was spared.

IMG_0184_zpsddignwr0.jpg

IMG_0186_zpsvygt1g5f.jpg

Counting my blessings. I have flood insurance because I live on a bluff overlooking the Comite River. However, all this flooding in South Louisiana is impacting families that were not in designated flood plains. Therefore they thought that there was no need for flood insurance. The count is now at more than 40,000 home flooded of which possibly less than 10% will be covered under the federal flood insurance program. My younger brother is one of these unfortunate people.

If you have the opportunity to do something to help the good people of south Louisiana, please do. Many have lost everything. Any help will be tremendously appreciated and humbly accepted.

Last edited by a moderator:

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have been wondering about y'all Jeff. I am glad you were high enough with your home but hate to hear about the cars. Breaks my heart every time I see pics of the area. Btw hope your cyclone wasn't at Dixie. Have you seen the pics of that? Lost all of their inventory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffdee

I have been wondering about y'all Jeff. I am glad you were high enough with your home but hate to hear about the cars. Breaks my heart every time I see pics of the area. Btw hope your cyclone wasn't at Dixie. Have you seen the pics of that? Lost all of their inventory.

Nope, I am using Blanchard's RV on Airline Hwy. They do EXCELLENT repair work. It flooded all around their shop but I didn't even get water on the Cyclone tires. They just installed toppers for the three slides and a large awning for the living room slide

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Good deal. One of the guys I work with over here is related to the owners of Blanchards. He used to work there in the summers.