Meeker, CO to Fort Collins, CO

Lou_and_Bette

Bette and I are in Meeker, CO at the present time and are heading to Fort Collins, CO in a few days. Google Maps gave me a choice of two routes. The preferred one takes me back to I-70 to Denver and then north on I-25. The second one was only 30 minutes more by going north on CO-13, to Craig, CO, then east on CO-40 through Steamboat Springs, then north on CO-14 to Walden, CO. This is where things go strange in my opinion. The map program wants me to go north all the way to Laramie, WY, then south to Fort Collins. I'm wondering why I can't just stay on CO-14 which seems to go into Fort Collins. The biggest challenge seems to be the Cameron Pass, but it isn't as high as the Vail Pass on I-70. My RV Road Atlas shows CO-14 as a truck route as well as a Scenic route so it should be doable for the F450. Anyone taken this highway? There seems to be several RV parks along this route so must be doable for RV's.

Let me add, we went to Steamboat Springs yesterday in the truck and I don't have any qualms about going that way with my rig, it's just the road after that point that is the concern.

olcoon

I've traveled the 2nd route (in a car years before having a camper), and it's awesome!!! If I remember correctly when you leave Steamboat, scenery is kind of blah, but still pretty. After you go a ways you get into Poudre Canyon, and are going along the Cache La Poudre River river & that's the awesome part. I'm sure you can make it in a camper, as there are campgrounds along the river. Seems the road "may" be sort of narrow-but it's been probably 20 years since I've been along that road. In some places there isn't much of a shoulder on the north side of the road...it's solid rock going almost straight up. On the South side the river isn't too far away, and it's ripping down through there. There were signs along the road telling you that if the river starts coming up, to leave your vehicle & to climb up as high as you can. I'll let someone with more knowledge of the road advise you, but if you decide to go that way, you won't regret it!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
You can take CO 14 from Walden down Poudre Canyon directly into Ft. Collins.

You shouldn't have any problems with that stretch of road.

Poudre Canyon has been our most favorite camping destination since we moved to Colorado in 1995!

We've been hauling campers up and down that road for 15 years.

I've never been on CO 14 from Walden to Meeker so I'll be interested in hearing your report on that section of the road!

Lou_and_Bette

Thanks Roy and John. John, CO-14 doesn't run all the way to Meeker. CO-14 joins CO-40 east of Steamboat Springs, then in Craig we took CO-13 south to Meeker. That section of the trip was without problems. It was the section of CO-14 from Walden to Fort Collins that was the unknown and you answered my question. Thanks

Lou_and_Bette

John, let me start off by saying thank you for the advice about the route. Turned out Cameron pass was a real easy pull. In fact, going over that pass was easier than Rabbit Ear pass which isn't as high. The last part of the trip was "fun" going through all the twists in the road. All in all, I would do the route again without any hesitation.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Hope you are both enjoying your time in CO.
BTW we are "in" at the Utah rally this fall:cool:
Take care,
Monica

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Just read that in the rally thread, will be good to see you again. Having a blast in CO. Near Pueblo currently and having lunch with Bill and Deeann on Thursday. Lots to do in this area.

How was the drive from Meeker to Walden?