Microchip- Yes or No

AAdams

I had a dog that got out and was returned because of the chip. I will add though if you are planning to chip your pet use your cell phone number as your contact number, not you sticks & bricks number. If they get out while you are on the road, the shelter / vet can still get a hold of you and you can get them back.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks everyone for the great info. We didn't know if it was something that had to be done when she was a pup, but it sounds like it can be done at any age.

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
Thanks everyone for the great info. We didn't know if it was something that had to be done when she was a pup, but it sounds like it can be done at any age.

Samson was done as a pup but Hanna we had inserted as an adult she didn't even know they did it but than again she is too busy socializing with all the staff at the vets she wasn't pay attention. Getting blood drawn I think is worst. It gives you piece of mind to know if something happen and you have a better chance of having them back.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
While I think chips are a good thing, I highly recommend you put a collar tag on your pet with some kind of identification name/phone number on it. Or better still, a collar with the info embroidered on it. The three dogs I've been a part of rescuing and getting quickly reunited with their owners had them. I'm not totally sure that ALL shelters have chip readers. The local pound around here will toss a stray into a holding pen with the "day's catch" if they are brought in after hours or weekends.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Callie was a rescue pup and had to be chipped before we took her home. No ill effects in 5 years. I wish I could GPS chip Patty so I can find her when she POOOFs at Wally World.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Callie was a rescue pup and had to be chipped before we took her home. No ill effects in 5 years. I wish I could GPS chip Patty so I can find her when she POOOFs at Wally World.

That's why I make sure Darlene has her cell phone with her when we shop together...and it's charged. I threatened to put one of those bicycle flags on her, too. I think she may be part chameleon sometimes.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Get the chip. We have had them for years with no known side effects.

GPS collars are also a good idea for larger dogs that like to roam. They allow you to track your dog on your computer, if they become lost.

Most I have seen appear cumbersome for any dog under about 20 lbs, as the are about the size and weight of a zippo lighter.
Plus battery life is not great, as I believe they must be charged almost daily. Trace

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think she may be part chameleon sometimes.

John,
I thought it was just me. If I hesitate to look at something for ten seconds, I look up and she is gone. Then I walk the whole Costco or Walmart store twice and still can't find her. Finally she shows up only a few feet from where I last saw her. :confused: Trace

porthole

Retired

Any age Jamie. But, if you don't fill out the paperwork ....................

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
John and Trace, The flag is good idea and had thought about it....but it would need a blinking light on it. I aways try to remember what COLOR clothes she has on. But most of the time CRS gets in the way. Now, if one of you fellas wants to hold her while I install the flag....go for it. The fight would be on.

JWalker

We are getting her chipped on 3/14. I like the thought of the GPS collar. Might have to look into that.

JWalker

Well, yesterday morning we had Lexi chipped at one of the 4 clinics they had in the area. Everything went smoothly, except for the craziness of 30 dogs grouped all together. To me it was a successful. They expected 150 dogs that day.

Thanks for all the responses and comments in the subject. I feel better knowing that when we are away and by chance Lexi gets away, we have a greater chance of getting her back.

Thanks again!!

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Smart move and I think its cheap insurance and peace of mind in case Lexi ever got out and disappeared! Makes it easy for you to be reunited with her!

Rod

Well, yesterday morning we had Lexi chipped at one of the 4 clinics they had in the area. Everything went smoothly, except for the craziness of 30 dogs grouped all together. To me it was a successful. They expected 150 dogs that day.

Thanks for all the responses and comments in the subject. I feel better knowing that when we are away and by chance Lexi gets away, we have a greater chance of getting her back.

Thanks again!!