Military family needs information and help!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hi Debra, yes, I have considered adding air bags but am basically very happy with the ride I have so have never "got around to it". The 2500HD does squat some (even see the 1 ton's squat when hooked up) but the Big Country rides level, and the telling part is no excessive or unusual wear on the BC tires. I do have the B&W Companion hitch, and again, am extremely pleased in that I do not experience any of the "chucking" that many complain about. Good luck in your search.

Keep in mind if the rear of the tow vehicle is 'squatting' you have changed the 'chassis set' of the vehicle making it lighter in the front end. Not to mention you have possibly caused the rear end to be overloaded. Also you have changed the aim of the headlights causing possibly causing the headlights to aim high blinding other drivers. For these reasons I have air bags on my truck. Your RV will probably ride level even if your truck squats due to the swivelling action of the hitch. The best answer to this whole issue is to have the truck weighed to see what your true weight is on the back.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Keep in mind if the rear of the tow vehicle is 'squatting' you have changed the 'chassis set' of the vehicle making it lighter in the front end. Not to mention you have possibly caused the rear end to be overloaded. Also you have changed the aim of the headlights causing possibly causing the headlights to aim high blinding other drivers. For these reasons I have air bags on my truck. Your RV will probably ride level even if your truck squats due to the swivelling action of the hitch. The best answer to this whole issue is to have the truck weighed to see what your true weight is on the back.

Should have clarified my statement, truck and rig ride level. All good information Jim, however I am relaying my own personal experience. The rear is not overloaded, and I do not "blind" on coming drivers.

jnbhobe

( I have owned the 7.3, 6.7 and 6.4 liter engines and prefer the 6.4. which is our current one.)

Jim, If you are driving the 12 F-350 in your signature it is a 6.7 Powerstroke.

txdds

Aloha everyone,
Hope your weekend is great! We're deep in web research over here....Trucks, hitches, home mortgages and realtor.com! Brain is frying. From a woman's point of view....it's going to be impossible to get the daily truck I want.....matching all these numbers, color and style-USED! Color flew out the window! Minus all the important numbers, I don't want a crew and don't need the 8 foot bed. That's becoming a dream too unless we order new. I would have assumed to walk into a dealer in San Antonio and have my pick of diesels. Each dealer only has one or two on their web site. I wanted to try for a 2010 or newer but I guess the owners of diesels engines keep them forever. I'll try what Bill said and check E-Bay motors.
What year model of Ford diesel had all the problems? I'm thinking 06 or 07?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Any Ford or GM (250 & 2500) truck from 2011 and newer will do the trick to pull your BC. Not sure about Ford, but the GM trucks are rated at 17K+ for a 5er. I thing Dodges in 2012 or 13 upgraded, so now they are rated the same. 4WD and L/B are a personal choice. I bought 2 L/B's and 4WD for my last two trucks and never going back to 2WD or S/B trucks.

txdds

Any Ford or GM (250 & 2500) truck from 2011 and newer will do the trick to pull your BC. Not sure about Ford, but the GM trucks are rated at 17K+ for a 5er. I thing Dodges in 2012 or 13 upgraded, so now they are rated the same. 4WD and L/B are a personal choice. I bought 2 L/B's and 4WD for my last two trucks and never going back to 2WD or S/B trucks.

Hi Bob, you seem pretty firm about the short bed.??? I had a long bed last time and crew cab. L/B truck made it so hard for daily grocery shopping. Really don't need the crew cab either. Can you explain why not the short bed?

Now, I read that I must put something in called DEF if I purchase a 2010 or newer. WHAT? Maybe, I should be searching for an "09"

HaHa...all this research makes me realize I've been under a rock or on vacation for three years! ;)

wdk450

The big plus on the Dodge diesels that everybody respects was/is the Cummins Turbodiesel. The weak link was seen to be Chrysler's automatic transmissions, although I wouldn't classify them as "lemons", just the weakest component. I have heard now that Chrysler is buying/using GM Allison "bulletproof" automatic transmissions.

Bob&Patty

Bill, you are correct. Both Ford and Dodge are using a variation of the Allison trans.

Txdds, the L/B works for us because we carry a genset, extra fuel, and I can put our bikes in the bed and not interfere with the front of the Horn. When I go shopping at a big box store...........I just park away from everybody and walk. I need the exercise or we take Patty's smaller SUV.

mzcummins

The big plus on the Dodge diesels that everybody respects was/is the Cummins Turbodiesel. The weak link was seen to be Chrysler's automatic transmissions, although I wouldn't classify them as "lemons", just the weakest component. I have heard now that Chrysler is buying/using GM Allison "bulletproof" automatic transmissions.

Dodge transmissions have slowly been getting better, the 48re was ok and was a big improvement over the 47re, the current 68rfe is a very good transmission and the new rams will offer a Aisin not Allison transmission

Sent using Tapatalk2

ParkIt

Dodge transmissions have slowly been getting better, the 48re was ok and was a big improvement over the 47re, the current 68rfe is a very good transmission and the new rams will offer a Aisin not Allison transmission
Best set up ever was the diesel cummins turbo with allison transmission. Wasn't on a truck but if it was, I'd buy one in a NY minute.

txdds

I mean the 2013 Dodge HD diesels

Aloha Gene,
Can you tell me if you are still pulling your Landmark with your dodge mega cab? I've been looking at several dodge trucks in and around San Antonio with mega cabs. Are you using a slider hitch? Is there anything you're not happy with on the dodge. Or something that you wish you had on the truck. Thanks for the help. BC out in Pipe Creek, at Class A RV for a check up. Will be living in the BC for several months while we buy a house. Can't wait to get back to San Antonio! However, don't know if DH is ready for the traffic and the daily drive to Lackland!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I love my '10 Ram 3500 DRW long bed. I thought I wanted the extra room of the Mega Cab but when I learned that it has the shortest bed, I decided that I carry too much stuff in my bed. Tool box and 100 gallons of fuel is more important.

txdds

Hi Jay,
I guess we are a strange breed....but I don't need to carry anything in my bed. I'm going to be taking this truck shopping :) on a weekly bases and don't want something that is hard to park, sticks way out and don't want to hike to my parking spot. If I can't get it under the BC then it doesn't go with us. Unitl DH retires we will only be doing weekend trips. However, the 100 gallon fuel does sound nice! Looking up all threads that talk about short beds or mega cabs.

Bob&Patty

With a HL 5er you can pull with a S/B truck. My L/B GMC is only 18" longer than a S/B. Be carefull on some S/B trucks....not all have a 6' bed.

txdds

Have to say Howdy now, not Aloha! We finally arrived in San Antonio. Closing on a house in 30 days. Three adults and a 20 month old grandson living in a 3500RL. Not too bad...it's a lot more roomy than I remembered. Anyway, we went truck shopping. First to find a used truck. Man, these cowboys hang onto their diesel trucks....couldn't find a low mileage used truck. We ended up just biting the bullet and bought new. I'm so excited, I've only driven it a few times....can't wait to pull with Big Red. Doing internet research on hitches. I know I might need a slider with the short bed....just don't know which one. Not too important to have a flat bed without the rails, so I won't spring for the B&H. Reese or Pullrite?
photo-16.jpg

Last edited:

szewczyk_john

I do pull with a megacab dodge. I have a slider hitch and I bought it before we even picked up our road warrior. I have used the slider twice. I am not sure that I even need it. I was in a tight situation and since I have it, I did not hesitate to get out and slide the hitch to the rear position. I would rather not take the chance as I have a friend who damaged his truck and trailer by cutting a short bed ford to tight a while back. I saw his damage.

txdds

Hi john, thanks for the help. I'd like to look into the one that is automatic forward, back and side to side. Not sure which one that is.

ramdually4100king

txdds I use the Reese 20k with the tubular rails. With the cyclone I can almost go 90 deg before hitting the cab if not slid back. The hitch rotates port/stbd and front to back to assist with hook up on a slope. It only slides fwd an back. It uses a rail system that can be used with Husky and Curt hitches if you change your mind later.

Good shopping you will enjoy the Dodge.

mzcummins

It's your call on what hitch for your beautiful new Dodge but we can also get almost 90* with a sb Dodge, I say with Heartlands 88* cap a slider is not needed, also my local hitch installer has stopped pushing Reese beacause they are now outsourced to China, they recommend Demco or Pullrite.

Sent using Tapatalk2