Mini-Split A/C?

PoppaJR

I recently watched a YouTube vid about a guy that installed a Gree Mini-Split and mounted the "head unit" in the living room. His claim is the quietness, efficiency and cooling ability, in So TX. That being said, has anyone here done this conversion? The reason I asked is that my Carrier is dying a lingering death and I'm considering the switch.
All the best.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think the Mini Split would work good if the trailer never moved. I don't think it is meant to be portable unless you recharge the system each time you move.

Peace
Dave

sdwelling

Just watched 2 videos about it on YouTube. One install in a 17 ft. travel trailer and another in a Bighorn. Go to YouTube and search "gree mini split camper" and enjoy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Just watched 2 videos about it on YouTube. One install in a 17 ft. travel trailer and another in a Bighorn. Go to YouTube and search "gree mini split camper" and enjoy

Wow, I gotta say that Silverado mod looks pretty impressive.

Peace
Dave

Gary521

I have a mini split system in my entire house. Yes, it is extremely quiet. Someone here said it needed to be recharged - no.

gregw

My only concern would be how long the unit on the back of the rig would last. They are not intended to go bouncing down the road. Not to imply it will not work but they are usually attached to a immovable structure.

RoadJunkie

"They are not intended to go bouncing down the road."

Neither are residential refrigerators, but it seems to work.

gregw

That's true. But the fridge is usually in the middle of the rig. Talk to some who have the rear washer and dryer and those with bike racks. Seen a few going down the road. I think I'll let someone else's $1500 experiment with longevity for now. Do agree that they will be much more efficient and quieter.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think I've seen them used on tiny homes, which do have the capability to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garypowell

Before we left on this trip our main A/C was going bad. Moved a portable A/C unit we had in our sun room to the RV. It is the kind that has one hose that sticks through the window with an adapter.

It is 12,000 BTU's.

I cut out a piece of plywood that took the place of the screen that is in the 7" tall window under the big window by the table.

Worked Ed like a champ. Granted we did not travel with it as I decided to have the A/C fixed under warranty....initially thought it would not be covered....
but it was.

But the unit itself fit between the table and our one chair if we would travel. I left the plywood in just in case. I'd rather pay $400 for one of these units, on the road, rather than a $1,000 if the main unit goes bad again.

sdwelling

Before we left on this trip our main A/C was going bad. Moved a portable A/C unit we had in our sun room to the RV. It is the kind that has one hose that sticks through the window with an adapter.

It is 12,000 BTU's.

I cut out a piece of plywood that took the place of the screen that is in the 7" tall window under the big window by the table.

Worked Ed like a champ. Granted we did not travel with it as I decided to have the A/C fixed under warranty....initially thought it would not be covered....
but it was.

But the unit itself fit between the table and our one chair if we would travel. I left the plywood in just in case. I'd rather pay $400 for one of these units, on the road, rather than a $1,000 if the main unit goes bad again.
I take a portable to put in our garage. Our Cyclone has 2 a/cs but needs a third. It works well.