Mission Tires

JimGriffin

We had to replace asl 4 tires today. I expected togety a little more than 5,000 miles on them, even knowing they weren't a good tire. Got to looking and the ends of the shocks have been hammered over, whats with this? I did learn a lesson today

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It seems that with trailer tires replacement has more to do with age than miles.
Do you have a picture of the shocks? I have never heard of that.
Did you buy this rig new?

Peace
Dave

GOTTOYS

Just take the shocks off and toss em. Try it without them. Bet you won't even notice the difference. The way they have them mounted I don't see how they can work anyway..Don

JimGriffin

I'll take pictures when we land again, we're in Utah w/grandson going to the NP's. The trailer is only 3 years old, you'd think for the cost difference they would put some decent tires on at the factory. whats a couple of thousand dollars on top of what you pay for the trailer. The damage to it if one blows is way more than the tires

TeJay

The advice concerning the shocks is true. It is good and almost necessary to have the shocks but the way they are mounted renders them almost useless. This information concerns any suspension system, coil springs, leaf springs or torsion bars. When a suspension system hits a bump the energy has to be either dampened or the oscillations continue until the motion has ceased. Those oscillations will transfer to your TV, the trailer tires, the interior of your trailer. Shocks will dampen those oscillations and reduce the negative effect that will accelerate tire wear, cause unnecessary internal movement in your trailer as well as adverse effect on your TV. I've discussed this topic on several other posts.

TeJay

traveler44

I think it would be great if they put the good tires on from the factory too. Some people argue that it would drive the original price of the unit up and when people are comparison shopping they would buy a cheaper unit. I think it would be such a savings for the buyer to not have to pay for the cheapies and then the good tires and pay to have the new ones mounted that it would be a good selling point for the manufacturer. One of our missions only lasted a thousand miles and six months and I bought G614s all the way around after that. I would have been happy if ours would have lasted three years and 5000 miles. Tom

TireHobby

Here is a paragraph from a recent post on my tire blog. It explains how important I believe RV trailer tire history is to the owner.

RV trailer tire history is so important that you should never drive out of the dealers lot with anything less than new tires, put on at PDI. Force the issue, it’s that important. The dealer can change the vehicle labeling before you sign the papers (it‘s in the DOT regulations). Don’t let them talk you out of it. Then, check the tire pressures before leaving. Then, and only then, will the tire history be your responsibility.

TireHobby

rick_debbie_gallant

The advice concerning the shocks is true. It is good and almost necessary to have the shocks but the way they are mounted renders them almost useless. This information concerns any suspension system, coil springs, leaf springs or torsion bars. When a suspension system hits a bump the energy has to be either dampened or the oscillations continue until the motion has ceased. Those oscillations will transfer to your TV, the trailer tires, the interior of your trailer. Shocks will dampen those oscillations and reduce the negative effect that will accelerate tire wear, cause unnecessary internal movement in your trailer as well as adverse effect on your TV. I've discussed this topic on several other posts.

TeJay

Just a quick thought on the shocks: are the shocks in place to dampen the up and down motion of the axle like in a car? Or perhaps they are set up the way they are to dampen the front to back and back to front movement of the axle. Just trying to look at things from a different angle. (pun, sorry)

lwmcguir

Here is a paragraph from a recent post on my tire blog. It explains how important I believe RV trailer tire history is to the owner.

RV trailer tire history is so important that you should never drive out of the dealers lot with anything less than new tires, put on at PDI. Force the issue, it’s that important. The dealer can change the vehicle labeling before you sign the papers (it‘s in the DOT regulations). Don’t let them talk you out of it. Then, check the tire pressures before leaving. Then, and only then, will the tire history be your responsibility.

TireHobby
Great point, especially if you are buying on the secondary market. You have no idea how the tires have been treated. On a new unit what a better time than right out the gate to be safe and know what you have.