Mobil Satelite to All TVs

DWH

Just purchased Landmark 365. Traded in LM San Antonio. Never had portable Satelite. Want to use it for new unit. I have dish at my home and was thinking of getting "tailgater" for rv. I have a number of question and any info would be much appreciated. I was told by rv salesman that the unit has been totally prepared for Satelite but not sure exactly what this means.

Questions:
1.i know I have to purchase "tailgate" unit. What about receiver ?
2. Does this work in conjuncture with the dish system I have at my house?
3. With tailgater, can I get picture on all 3 TVs. What do I have to do and to purchase to make this possible. Is it possible?
4. Can tailgater be mounted on roof? If so, exactly where? If unit is approximately 14" high and canbe mounted on roof how high would camper then be ?

You can probably tell how little I know about all this so any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
Doug Hoeffner

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When your dealer said that your rig is totally prepared for satellite he is referring to the fact that it is prepared for a roof mount dish, like the Winegard Traveler.
Your Tailgater is designed to set out on the ground, picnic table tripod, or anywhere else including your roof. However is is not designed to be a permanent roof mount.
The Winegard Traveler has a 10" travel height vs the 16" of the Tailgater.
If you have Dish at home you will be able to use that receiver in your RV or you can purchase another for use there.
With some creative wiring you should be able to use one receiver to view on all three TV's or you can use three receivers.
I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Yes you will need a receiver. At least one.

Satellite TV companies want a receiver at each TV location. But as Dave mentioned, there are various ways to share the output of the receiver with additional TVs, without a separate receiver. Wireless transmitters are one way and feeding the receiver output into the TV/cable wiring is another. But a lot depends on what receiver you get and what type of output connectors it has.

If you want to watch 2 or more different programs at the same time, you'll need multiple receivers, and a dish that supports multiple receivers. Not sure if Tailgater does. Also, with DISH, sometimes changing channels on one receiver may cause the dish to re-align to a different satellite, breaking the reception of the program on the other receiver.

shelsay

We have the Travel'r mounted on our roof. We have a Dish VIP722K dvr. This receiver enables us to watch different programs at the same time on our two TVs. You can also get the Hopper which will let your watch 3 different programs.

Pat

pegmikef

Yes you will need a receiver. At least one.

If you want to watch 2 or more different programs at the same time, you'll need multiple receivers, and a dish that supports multiple receivers. Not sure if Tailgater does. Also, with DISH, sometimes changing channels on one receiver may cause the dish to re-align to a different satellite, breaking the reception of the program on the other receiver.

The Tailgater only supports one receiver and then it requires a specific receiver (VIP 211z). The nice thing is is that it is completely portable and only requires a single cable (provided) as the antenna receives its power from the receiver via the coax. I understand that there is now a new model, the King Tailgater, that supports two receivers, but I don't know anything about that one.

IronJ

The new dish tailgaiter will support 2 recievers. But the second is a slave reciever and can only view the channels the main recievers is tuned to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

DWH

First, I want so say how incredibly great the folks in this forum are. Just so thoughtful and helpful. I'm looking into winegard traveler. Weighing options vs costs. Can't see having 3 tvs and only using one or two. Will try to post how it gets resolved and why, so maybe some others will get some help. Thanks again.

danemayer

First, I want so say how incredibly great the folks in this forum are. Just so thoughtful and helpful. I'm looking into winegard traveler. Weighing options vs costs. Can't see having 3 tvs and only using one or two. Will try to post how it gets resolved and why, so maybe some others will get some help. Thanks again.

There are a number of high-def video transmitter/receiver solutions for $!00-200 that will take the output of one of your receivers and send it to a third TV. You just have to match up available output connections at the receiver to the inputs of the transmitter. Here's a link to one on Amazon.

DWH

Pat, do you have a program package from dish just for your rv or do you share a programming package with a dish at another place like a fixed residence? The latter is what I hope to do. The installer is suggesting just take the hopper with me when I plan to use camper. That's not very practical for me. Thank you
Doug Hoeffner