MOPAR vs Cummins parts

HappyKayakers

In '07, I had a Jacobs exhaust brake by Mopar installed on my '06 3500 RAM. Last week the exhaust brake quit working, 4 months out of warranty. I took the truck to an independent mechanic with diesel experience. He determined it was the vacuum pump for the exhaust brake. This pump has 2 part numbers: Mopar - 5102084AA and Cummins - 3965925. I asked him to source the part through both Dodge and Cummins. After checking only with Dodge, he told me the part was $1060. I insisted he check with Cummins. Same part - $219. Draw your own conclusions about the Dodge parts system. I'm just passing this info along in the hope that it will save someone else big bucks. I originally found this info on a different forum last week.

Jellystone

HappyKayakers, I realize that sometimes prices get jacked up when ordering through manufacturers, but that seems ridiculous. Are you sure that it is the exact same part? Also, how much do you trust your independent mechanic for price quotes? I'm not trying to get you mad, but that much of a difference between 2 well known name brands seem "fishy" to me. JMHO

HappyKayakers

Jellystone, he's a new mechanic to me but came recommended. What makes those prices easier to believe is I found similar prices on a cumminsengine forum last week. They were quoting $800 from Dodge and $209 from Cummins. I think that was 2 yrs ago. When the dealer in Rapid City installed the EB, he gave me paperwork that showed both Mopar and Cummins part numbers for each item so I can only assume the parts are identical. I took that paperwork to the mechanic with me and glad I did.

alkyspeed

Absolutely true ---- Cummins parts are priced at about 1/4 to 1/3 of comparable Mopar at the stealer. Been There - Done That.

GOTTOYS

Yes it does happen. It's called matrix pricing. Dealer has parts that aren't big sellers in stock. They will mark them up 5-6 times over cost just because they can. I spent years at several GM dealers. Hard to find parts that don't have many turnovers gives them the right to rob you I guess. I just bought a fuel filter today for my Dodge. It had both Dodge and Cummins logos on the box. Just for the heck of it I'm going to check the price at the local Cummins dealer...Don

BruteForce

Most Mopar branded parts are actually Fleetguard or Cummins repackaged and labeled. Take a fuel filter. You can actually peel the Mopar label off and see the Fleetguard labeling below it.

Gaffer

With my 98 Dodge 24 valve I went through lift pumps about every 30k miles. I found the replacement price at Cummins Northwest to be much cheaper than at the local Dodge Dealers.

Willym

Good information in this thread, thank you Joe for starting it. I have also heard that Powerstroke owners (not the newest edition, which is a Ford engine) could get engine parts at a better price from International dealers.

rustyshakelford

I had the same issue with my jacobs exhaust brake on my 06 cummins. I had it about two years and it stopped working, only thing i could figure out was that it was the vacuum pump. Called dodge just for the heck of it and it was over 1k. Called cummins and I think i paid about $150. Installed in the driveway in twenty minutes. Then I was back on the road. I still have the only one if you would want to get it refurbished and have a spare

brett

Sailor

Thanks for the great info! I am sure that I would of gone to Dodge and over paid. I am always learning something new, and that is what I like about this forum.

olcoon

I wanted to get the cord for the engine heater for my new Dodge. The dealer wanted $68.00, but they didn't have any in stock. Went to Cummins & they had one, bought it for $27.00. I talked to the guy at the parts counter about the price difference, and he had a lot of stories!

beardedone

Beardedone
Just for everyone's info on sourcing parts. Always check with "Geno's Garage" for prices on Dodge parts. Priced properly and really good service.