MOR/ryde Independent Suspension

I have a 2014, Heartland, Landmark, Key Largo and have changed the suspension to 8,000 LB MOR/ryde suspension. Does anyone know if this will increase the GVW rating of the 5ernover the stock 7,000 LB axles?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: MOR/ryde Independant Suspension

I have a 2014, Heartland, Landmark, Key Largo and have changed the suspension to 8,000 LB MOR/ryde suspension. Does anyone know if this will increase the GVW rating of the 5ernover the stock 7,000 LB axles?
The correct answer is no.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

danemayer

The rating won't change. Whether it's safe or reasonable to exceed the GVWR is a different question. If the weakest link was the suspension, maybe you could go over the GVWR a bit. But you still have wheels, tires, brakes, frame, pin weight and perhaps other items to consider.

davebennington

When we had the Mor/ryde suspension install our rig, I was told that it would add between 3 to 4 hundred pounds to the total weight of the coach. And approximately 2 inches to the height.

I have had it weighed on the CAT scales and the total is 28500.

dave

SLO

How do you suppose the manufacture comes up with GVWR. Considering frame, axle, tires, brakes, pin box, springs, wheels. All but one of those things can be changed. Do all manufactures use the same formula? There's a lot of overloaded trailers out there. Except for failures around the pin box, I don't see many frame failures. Just wondering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
I can tell you this for a fact when I had my Mor Ride suspension and disc brakes put on we weighed before they install and Weighed after the install added 652 pounds but that was from 7000 pound axles To 8000 pound axles

TexasTraveler2017

I can tell you this for a fact when I had my Mor Ride suspension and disc brakes put on we weighed before they install and Weighed after the install added 652 pounds but that was from 7000 pound axles To 8000 pound axles

Was upgrading from 7000 to 8000 lb on the IS still an improvement in smoothing out the ride? I have an appointment at MorRyde to get the IS and disc brakes installed after we pick up our new Gateway next month. I’m wanting to go with the 8000 lb to give us a little extra buffer since we will be full timing. Rob at morryde just said that it might not be as smooth as going with the 7000 lb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JMP

Was upgrading from 7000 to 8000 lb on the IS still an improvement in smoothing out the ride? I have an appointment at MorRyde to get the IS and disc brakes installed after we pick up our new Gateway next month. I’m wanting to go with the 8000 lb to give us a little extra buffer since we will be full timing. Rob at morryde just said that it might not be as smooth as going with the 7000 lb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently had 8k IS (triple axle), w/ disc brakes installed and upgraded to the MorRyde Pin Box. I experienced a noticeable improvement in road handling and stopping power. I am glad I upgraded to the 8k suspension and had disc brakes installed. After MorRyde techs finished the install, they measured my trailer height. It was 13.3 (front and back). MorRyde did an excellent job.

Thank you for your comments. We have been extremely happy with our new suspension. DW left a plastic tray with makeup on the bathroom counter and it was still there 375 miles later.

porthole

Retired
I recently had 8k IS (triple axle), w/ disc brakes installed and upgraded to the MorRyde Pin Box. I experienced a noticeable improvement in road handling and stopping power. I am glad I upgraded to the 8k suspension and had disc brakes installed. After MorRyde techs finished the install, they measured my trailer height. It was 13.3 (front and back). MorRyde did an excellent job.

MOR/ryde put 3 8K IS assemblies on your trailer?

What did you have before 6's?

porthole

Retired
7k Springs. I think they were Dexter axles.

Over springing is just a bad as under springing. The advantage with the MOR/ryde IS is that you can go with the bigger 8K suspension and still use a lower rated spring durometer (their spring rating number).
Did they tell what springs you had?

The difference between the MR 8k and 7K IS is substantial. I wouldn't be surprised if the 8K components were near double the weight of the 7k components

TexasTraveler2017

Over springing is just a bad as under springing. The advantage with the MOR/ryde IS is that you can go with the bigger 8K suspension and still use a lower rated spring durometer (their spring rating number).
Did they tell what springs you had?

The difference between the MR 8k and 7K IS is substantial. I wouldn't be surprised if the 8K components were near double the weight of the 7k components

So would going with the 8k suspension and 7k springs be recommended? Then if you ended up needing to upgrade to the 8k springs later, it would be cheaper/easier? We are supposed to be taking delivery of our Gateway 3713CK on the 16th up in Michigan. I have an appointment at MR the following week to get their IS and disc brakes installed before heading back home. The GVWR of the 3713CK is 15,500 and we will be full timing in it. I had talked to Rob about going up to 8K instead of 7K and he said we could. I guess my thought was going to 8K (while not legally allowing more CCC) would give more buffer on the weight we could carry. We got the generator prep, but won't have the generator or most of our belongings in it when they install the IS. So we will be heavier later than when they weigh it for the install.

JMP

So would going with the 8k suspension and 7k springs be recommended? Then if you ended up needing to upgrade to the 8k springs later, it would be cheaper/easier? We are supposed to be taking delivery of our Gateway 3713CK on the 16th up in Michigan. I have an appointment at MR the following week to get their IS and disc brakes installed before heading back home. The GVWR of the 3713CK is 15,500 and we will be full timing in it. I had talked to Rob about going up to 8K instead of 7K and he said we could. I guess my thought was going to 8K (while not legally allowing more CCC) would give more buffer on the weight we could carry. We got the generator prep, but won't have the generator or most of our belongings in it when they install the IS. So we will be heavier later than when they weigh it for the install.

Given your GVWR, i would install the 8k. With that said, read Dan’s advice below.