Mor/Ryde Systems...

RnRCycloner

The analogy of the home industry to RV industry may have some merit, however if you buy a new home with a home warranty then the builder would be obligated to provde service for what the warranty covers, if appliances are included they are covered, if not it is on you.. When the warranty expires it all falls on you, this is not much different from the auto industry. When your auto warranty expires it's on you also.

I like my Cyclone and I believe it is a good RV and as time goes by Heartland will improve all their products. It takes feed back from customers to discover weak areas in order for improvements to be made.

Just my thought....

Delaine and Lindy

I will only say you will be happy with the upgrade. We had the Disk brakes installed by Mor/Ryde had the rubber suspension and the never lube axles. The Disk brakes are awesome, I wished many time we had went with the IS also. And Mor/Ryde will take good care of you. We also have Disk Brakes on our current 5er, and they will stop the 5th wheel and Truck without using the Trucks brake. We also have 8,000 lb axles, I am seriouly thinking about upgrading to 17.5 wheels and tires but have to do some more research. Our 5er now comes with the 17.5 wheels and tires. I don't think you can ever have to much suspension and tires. Good Luck... GBY....

Rickhansen

TXBobcat and all,
Thanks for asking and responding to the tough questions to provoke some critical thinking on a couple serious issues. This indeed has blossomed into a good debate. I love it.

Personally, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I think one of the root questions being asked is that of design and workmanship responsibilities.

For instance, does Lippert supply components designed to Heartland's specifications, or does Heartland design a finished product around the standard components that are independently designed and marketed by Lippert. The only clear answer to this question is in the agreements and contracts between the two companies.

Likewise for warranty responsibilities. If Heartland wanted to shorten their warranty "supply chain," they would defer the responsibilities (via their dealer network and customer base) to Lippert directly (Better value, faster, less controversial) or should Heartland add overhead, cost and time delays by warrantying the product themselves and fighting the battles with Lippert after the fact?

The answer in my mind comes down to Heartland's overall marketing and business strategies.

I had a warranty issue with furniture in our 3670. I was immediately referred to Flair by Heartland. At first blush, I was somewhat agitated because I really felt I was entitled a single point of contact and someone to hold accountable. I felt I was being passed off to someone else. I went to Flair (and CC'd Heartland on the communications) and Flair resolved the problem for us. I never received any additional or follow-up communication from Heartland, but the problem was satisfactorily resolved. In retrospect, Heartland would have likely delayed the process and added cost to their business operation, which would be passed on to the future consumers.

The problem was almost assuredly dealt with far more effectively in this manner. Despite knowing that, my "Brand Loyalty" was with Heartland not with their vendors, and I felt somehow let down; an emotional catch-22.

To tie back to the anaolgies of the automotive industry (I think someone pointed this out using the new home/appliance analogy already), GM, Ford, and Chrysler do not warrant the tires on their vehicles. If you have a warranty problem, they will refer you straight to the tire manufacturer's authorized service centers.

Not to be redundant, but the detail is in their marketing/business model, and their agreements with their suppliers.

cjbearden

Visitor
We just finished with installation of our MorRyde IS, disk brakes and never lube hubs. We are HAPPY CAMPERS! Towed across town and parked at the Elkhart Campground. Huge improvement in the braking and the movement of the RV (should I say lack of nose movement). We are believers now and highly recommend these installations.

It was a pleasure to work with Ben Wiginton, our Service Manager. He cheerfully answered all our questions and concerns. We finally got to meet Gary today also. Sergio was the lead tech on the installation. We could not have asked for a better, more personable tech team.

We spent one night in "lock up" as we and our wonderful Canadian neighbors (Ron and Pat) began calling the one night we had to spend inside the building in order for them to finish the installation of 8Ks. Anyone else planning to have the 8Ks installed, be aware that this installation does take longer than a 7K install.

C.J.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
CJ
Tell us about the weight and tire placement. You went with the 8k suspension. What were the weights of each wheel, the total weight of the Landmark, did you change the spacing between the wheels, did you adjust the weight ratio of the pin to axle for a different pin weight?

Or any other good stuff..

Congratulations on the new installation. We look forward having ours changed out..

Look forward to seeing you all soon..

BC

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Also, what disk brake (model) does MorRyde install. Are the pads available other then from MorRyde? Different then Kodiak disk brakes?

wdk450

What Tires for 8K suspension?

CJ Wiggley:
You went with the 8,000 lb independent suspension upgrade. What tires do you have that are rated to carry 4000 lbs each?

Cyncwby

I'll add one more question if you don't mind.....approximately how much would the upgrade be with the 7k axles, IS and disc brakes?? thanks ....Dave

cjbearden

Visitor
Wow, didn't realize that much interest was going to be sparked. I had to go consult the "expert" so hope I answer your questions okay.

We have Goodyear G614's on 16" wheels, rated for 3750# each. Some have gone to 17.5" wheels but for now we feel we will be fine with current setup. Everything is aligned and balanced now and J.D. religiously checks torque, inspects tires, etc. during our trips. Torque is 120#. Wheel placement was only changed a neglible amount (maybe 1/2" forward) and that was to make the wheels match the fender openings for a cleaner look. Side-to-side balance is much better now.

One note: We asked about using the chock between tires for stabilization and Sergio said that should be no problem with the IS system and basically recommended it. Guess what we will be shopping for at the surplus store!!!!

We went in slightly nose down (sorry don't know how many inches) and over by about 250#. Overage was primarily on the off-door side because of the three slides (refrigerator, etc.) After the install, the nose is only about 3/4" low and we have about 50# to play with. Sergio thought he might have to move hitch pin forward a bit but didn't have to. The hitch was moved up one notch so there is now more space between hitch pin and top of the truck's bed frame.

TW of the unit is around 16,500#. Weight ratio of the pin was not changed. Pin weight is around 2600#. We had full fresh water tank because we wanted to know the most we could possibly weigh. Traveling we will only carry about 30 gal so that immediately drops a few hundred pounds. We went with 8K because we were maxed on 7K and we felt safer going for the added strength in case we needed it sometime and especially if we later go with bigger wheels and tires.

The brakes are Kodiak E-Coat/Silver Cad Set with 3 yr warranty. In the front storage compartment is a Carlisle Hydrastar Hydraulic Brake Actuator. The Actuator was placed strategically for easy maintenance and also to allow small amount of storage space around it. Ceramic brake pads can be purchased from any auto shop.

When you talk to Ben, be sure to mention our names (we are working on commission). Just kidding!! Wish it was so!

Just from what we learned while there, everyone is slightly different in the adjustments that are needed so don't take it for gospel what works for one person may not work for you. These guys are experts and know what they are doing to give you the best job possible. They will instruct you on what needs grease and when; when to align tires and so forth.

Dave, I sent you a PM regarding cost. I won't post that here because I don't want someone to get a set rate in mind as each one can be different and material costs can change as well. Labor required can also vary.

C.J.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
CJ...is that 2600# pin weight before or after the IS installation...our current pin weight is closer to 4,000#, and we're 1,100 under on our axles? Wondering if our installation will alleviate some of this pin weight we're dealing with.

Kathy

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
One thing Mor-Ryde does is balance the set-up. Meaning they will make adjustments to the rig and truck setup to make the rig rig as level as possible. They will take measurements before you get in to see what may need to change. Also, after the installation is finished they use a laser/computer alignment system to align the tires/axles so you will go down the road straight. Remember, Mor-Ryde is a class act and not some 'fly by night' operation. These guys know what they are doing as their reputation rides with you.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
CJ & JD,
Congratulations on you Mor-Ryde install. We have had ours for over a year now and love it. Welcome to the better ride and able to stop club. LOL

cjbearden

Visitor
Kathy,

2600# pin wt is what we have now. We can go to 3400# but probably won't. We are actually heavier on the axles now. Changing the pitch of the nose and losing some fresh water helped shift about 600# for us. Is your RV level now? Do you have a generator in front storage? If so, J.D. says you won't have that much to play with in shifting the weights. You may have to shift something inside the RV. Really discuss the weights and outcome after the IS with your tech. Like JimG says, the guys at MR know what they are doing and can suggest things that might help you.

We moved our heavy desk to the rear of the coach and added a three-level cat tree beside it. We have the sofa air bed and a recliner in the sofa slide now. That helped us balance our inside weights a lot better.

If you have the generator, be sure to have the remainder of the front storage cleared out to provide them room to install the actuator if you are having disc brakes installed.

I think I am learning more about this than I really wanted to know. Thanks BC for starting this - LOL! Seriously, go into this asking as much as you can up front. I think J.D. has his eye on the MorRyde rubber hitch pin now - perish the thought. If the government doesn't get SSA and Medicare straightened out, we are done with the 'goodies'. That's a whole 'nuther thread and maybe a topic for the 'fireside' so to speak.

Best wishes Kathy. We will be at the Elkhart Campground when you are in town so come visit. I would say we would go to breakfast with you but if we can avoid getting up before dawn, we won't be up as early as you! We can do lunch. :)

C.J.

cjbearden

Visitor
Thank you JimG,

We are proud to be members of the 'able to stop' club. What a difference! I feel so much safer. Now we can really test the western mountain ranges as we travel that direction.

Oh yes, J.D. adds the only thing he found wrong - there was no hot breakfast or sleeping couches!!! Those of you who know my DH know what a kidder he is!! What the heck, a couple of days of lost sleep is well worth the great ride and stopping power you get after the install. At least MR does provide a very nice waiting room with coffee, water, TV, and packaged snacks. You don't get any of that at RV Capital (hint, hint).

rvn4fun

mor/ryde problems anyone?

I have been reading some of these posts today as it is a rainy day in Texas ect. It finally dawned on me what a Mor/ryde system was. Years ago we had a internet friend stop at our house and he had just picked up a new high end rv in Oregon or Washington. On the way to our house in South Dakota he had went thru 6 new tires. He stopped at a frame shop in Rapid City and had everything checked and had his rv weighed. Everything was fine, the shop told him basically that the system would not handle the rv weight, that the rubber was bending and that was what was eating his tires up. He was a fulltimer and just moved everything from the old rv to his new one and hit the road. Anyway he was headed to Chicago and was going to get that system ripped off his rv and a real set of axels ect put on. That was the first time I have ever been around that system.
In the summer time we workcamp at a busy campground in the sandhills of Nebraska. If you are not familiar with a sandhill road they are perhaps the worse road there is. They are hardpacked sand that will get extremely washboardy, or like small ocean waves about 4 inches high. Continuous shaking.The road crews use a sand drag to smooth the road, they drag the drag behind a truck and that smooths the sand back smooth for about 4 hours, before traffic makes it rough again. We loose a lot of rv business because of these roads. One time down them and some don't return. Back to Mor/ryde, this is cattle country, and everyone has a trailer to haul cattle or horses, my boss has 3 of them. When Mor/rye was first introduced down there, everyone that could bought one. Now you never see them, they just wouldn't take the punishment. There are plenty laying around in peoples junk piles. Everyone went back to trailers with springs, axels ect, and yes they needed worked on too, but you could work on them.
I realize that most of us, thankfully don't travel this kind of road regulary, and we ourselves only go down it with the rv, once in the spring and once back out in the fall, but I am just stating a point. There are two sides to everything. Just wondering if anyone has had problems.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Not that we've gotten a lot of miles on our IS yet, we have, I'd say, 3 to 4 thousand miles on it since installed at the rally last year. That said, yours is the first post I've read that has mentioned any potential issues with the MorRyde IS. I do know that the system came with a pretty good warranty and from the perspective of an average do it yourselfer, the system seems pretty straight forward and easy to maintain. Replacement shear springs (rubbers) are readily available, I assume, from MorRyde. I can't think of anything else that might fail. I think most RV's would disintegrate going down the type of road you describe.

caissiel

I will change springs on my trailer every trip before I will see the payback of a mor-ryde independent system.
I have a friend that is full timing and has to replace the tires on his trailer every 2 years, they wore in all directions and he has 8 tires on his trailer. He had it aligned at CW and again 2 trips across the country and a set of tires. The trailer and TV has to be setup perfectly in order to not overload an axle more then the other.

We use to have Rosta bearings (Original manufacturer of Rubber Bearings) on a swing gate at the mill, and the bearings failed all the time, rubber wore and fell apart. I replaced them with roller bearings, that is on a gate that only moved 30 Deg, and blocks of wood of 100Lbs hit it 1000's of times a day. Never had a failure again.

My motto is a roller bearing never fails its the neglect that fails them.
I like the wheels to be in line and be able to repair when I can.

Besides in the sun rubber is only good for 5 years, the bearings in my previous unit lasted 15 years.
Just my experience with these rubber type bearings.

And I would like to add that I changer 6 springs in 15 years on the previous unit. And some were done before breaks because I only changed springs in pairs.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have Mor/Ryde on our BH and never a problem. Our problem was Lipperts crappy stuff. BTW, the Trail air is a glorified Mor/Ryde. Love my Mor/Ryde pinbox. Bob:D

caissiel

Mor-Ryde has an equalizer similar to the ones we have on our units and they do sell HD spring hanger kits. The pressure must be on these rubber units once they age, Hope I wound not have to rebuild them every 5 years.

Hamshog

Back in 1994, I bought a 1981 Holiday Rambler Imperial 31' TT with the Mor-Ryde system on it. Don't know what designation Mor-Ryde had at the time, but I put 5 to 6000 miles on that trailer in the next two years and sold it in '97 for $1000.00 less than I had paid in '94..

It worked flawlessly and had the same tires on the trailer as when I bought it. Everything inside the rig stayed where it was thru the trips. Towed with a '83 2500 Burb & 454cid with a W/D hitch and no sway control. Stayed right behind that Burb all the time. Even in crosswinds of 30 to 40 mph.. I like the Mor-Ryde suspension!!

Regards, Hamshog