More about upgrading

wdk450

Tim:
Follow the 2016 Las Vegas Rally thread for when the Rally discounts are posted. Also talk to MorRyde about being an HOC member when talking about prices. I believe they extended the national rally discount to ALL HOC members last year, whether they attended the National Rally or not, and these discounts were in effect for something like 6 months. As I remember when I attended the Gillette, Wyoming rally, that there were HOC rally attendees discounts offered although MorRyde was not at that rally to do service, and all service has to be done at their Elkhart service facility.
These upgrades improve your 5er into a premium frame/suspension/brakes unit and should add to your resale value when you sell it.

ksucats

TIm: Don't know if you are still following this thread or not but I had the Trail-Aire suspension on my SOB that we traded for our Landmark. It replaces the 'biscuit' of the EZ-Flex with an airbag - actually two airbags, one for each spring set. Looking back on how it 'bounced' as compared to our Landmark I'd say the the trail-aire did its job much better than the EZ-Flex (or whatever this thing is called - brain is cramping right now). BTW - we too have issues with things falling off (ceiling trip, range cover, residential refrigerator moving, and, oh yeah, cabinets opening). This is with the EZ-Flex. I don't remember having any of those problems with the trail-aire but that coach was also 5000 pds lighter. We never tried to move with a glass on the table so I can't say about that but our soap has always come off the shower shelf, regardless of the suspension -- I'm sure that has to do with the road quality out in western Kansas and I-25 between Colorado Springs and Santa Fe NM.

We are looking at going with IS as well - there are a couple of trailing arm air bag suspensions out there - Trailer Life had an article on one of them about a year ago as I recall. The other I believe is from Dexter but I'm not sure.

I just did a quick Google search and found the Trailer Life article at http://www.trailerlife.com/rv-trailer-news/auto-flex-air-ride-suspension-swap. Their website of http://www.autoflexsuspensions.com/trailerflex/trailer-photos/ shows what they call the trailer-flex. Quite a system with auto leveling etc.

Last edited:

StrongJava

Sure am--thanks!

So your experience seems to be suggesting that the EZ-flex system is worse than the Trail-Aire/LCI Equa-Flex? That is interesting indeed. My rig has the Equa-Flex, and I'm not impressed.

If I'm spending money, I'll research further the Mor/ryde IS, the LCI Center Point and the Trailer Flex.

It was also interesting when I talked with a rep from LCI who recommended the Correct Track with the Equa-Flex. He didn't seem overly excited about their own Center Point. But I've read in other posts that people really like the CP.

Any others?

ksucats

Tim: We had the Center Point - Trail-Aire is the Pin box and I knew when I typed it I was probably wrong ( brain cramps too much these days it seems). Regardless, I feel that the Center Point is a much better system than either the EZ-Flex or LCI Equa-Flex. The airbags take a lot more of the road vibration away from the coach. Sorry for the confusion.

StrongJava

Thanks, and no problem! That makes more sense.

Do you think the Trail-Aire pin box was worth the money?

Does your current coach have the Correct Track? If so, any thoughts?

ksucats

Tim: I had the dealer change out the Mor-Ryde pinbox for the Trail-Aire with the older style Flex attachment (instead of a single pivot point it has four with a rubber 'mattress' and the airbag. I'm not as impressed with it as I was with the plain ole Trailaire (airbag with shock but no flex). Seems I get more chucking with this one but then again we've gone from 34 foot (13K gross) to 42 foot (17.5 gross). So definitely not comparing apples to apples. I do feel that the trailaire is keeping the up and down motion in check though - a lot less bounce seen and the truck rides with less bounce as well. So, do I think it is worth the money - most definitely. The next step up, in my mind, would be the trailer-saver (airbag 5th wheel hitch that goes in the truck). I see those on most MDT and HDT tow vehicles.

No, the current coach does not have the 'Correct Track'. On my past coach I was one of the BETA testers for this unit and it didn't seem worth the trouble or cost. That was over 8 years ago though and the axles were square to begin with, just lost their center bow. The correct track would be useful if the axles are not square and you need to move the tire fore or aft to square them. Given QC today it might not be a bad idea - I just can't say.

Hope this answers your questions. Told the wife about the IS again and she says we are going to get it - now the question is $$$$ and how not to spend on other things. Oh, we got our coach with disc brakes - if I have my way we'll never have another coach without them. I did upgrade the last one to heavier axles and disc brakes within the first year we had it. 13K gross with 6K axles with drum brakes - went to 7K axles and disc brakes - what a difference in stopping power.