Mountain Towing of a Bighorn with 3/4 ton diesel duramax GMC

Would love to hear from fellow Bighorn fifth wheelers about mountain driving
in Colorado. I think my dry weight is 12,000+ lbs. I have a 2004 GMC
duramax diesel 3/4 ton pickup. Any tips would be appreciated.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Hi trailfinder, I had a 2004 Ram 2500 pulling about the same weight. The biggest concern I had was not the ability to pull over the mountains but having the ability to keep the speed under control when going downhill. I have a 2010 Laramie 3500 now with an exhaust break and it does a great job of keeping speed reasonable and me from worrying so much.

I would like to second Dan's suggestion to join our CO group and attend some of our activities. We have spaces available at Buena Vista, and one available due to a cancellation for the Colorado Springs Rally in Sept.

We are looking forward to meeting you down the road.

coram8

I had a 2014 Chevy 2500 Duramax that I pulled our Gateway with in Colorado without any problems. It is about the same weight or slightly heavier as your trailer. No problems whatsoever. I did have the exhaust brake on the truck that worked excellent and really made the descents feel easy. The Duramax has the power to get up any of the hills, but like gwalter said, keeping speed under control going downhill is the key. Keep the brakes from baking!

Gary521

I had a 2003 Duramax and pulling was not an issue. Going down hill was an issue for me until I got a 2012 Duramax with the exhaust brake. I now sleep easier. By the way, there is now an aftermarket exhaust brake your year of Duramax.

Gizzy

We have been pulling our Bighorn (Real close to the 14,000 lb max) with a 2006 Duramax since 2011 with several trips out west and one to Alaska with no issues. There were times I wished we had an exhaust brake, but the Tow/Haul worked just fine. You should not have any problems. You can check your actual dry weight by checking the yellow sticker on the entry door frame.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When I had a 2007 GMC I installed a Banks Speed Brake. It will control the turbo vanes and transmission to achieve awesome engine breaking.
In my book it would be a must for towing in the mountains.
I suggest looking into that.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When we had our 2004 GMC 3500 and our ElkRidge (11,500 dry, 13750 loaded), we went to the Rockies in summer and winter a few years. Our trip summer of 2014, we fueled up our aux fuel tank in Colorado Springs, and headed toward Breckenridge, through Denver and on to I-70. Unfortunately the first major hill on I-70 there had been a wreck, and traffic was very slow. Semi's were traveling about 20 mph with their blinkers on, and cars were zipping around them making it nearly impossible to pass. Plus, there was construction as the widened some tunnels, so traffic was even more congested than usual. Our truck didn't like having to go so slow up/down the hills, and the tranny temp started creeping up. We had to pull over a few times along the way, to keep temps in check. Although we had not had issues anywhere else, I think the added weight of the full tank plus the mountainous driving (7-8% grades) really was hard on the transmission.

Now with the 2013 3500 and + the exhaust brake, I think we'd have no issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

The Banks Speed Brake will not work with the 2004 Duramax. You need, and I strongly suggest, the Banks Exhaust Brake (there are other brands but I am partial to Banks). The Speed Brake is plug and play and uses the turbo/transmission for braking in vehicles that did not come with that later addition. The Exhaust Brake in mechanical and involves some electrical and mechanical modifications. It is not difficult to do but takes some time to install. That said Tow/Haul is pretty much worthless coming down a long steep grade. Take my word for it. It gets scary and involves some down shifting that always made me nervous of engine RPM, although it would really not over-rev. With the Exhaust brake I can maintain 60-65 down all grades and it engages with the flip of a switch. I would not be without it! Keep the vehicle in Tow/Haul, bring it out of overdrive first, then engage the Exhaust Brake if necessary. Piece of cake. And we have some very long and very steep grades coming off of the "Rim" or out of Flagstaff.

I should make a correction here as to the 2004 Duramax and the Banks systems. If your truck is a 2004 you need the Exhaust Brake system (LB7 engine). If your truck is the 2004 1/2 (LLY engine) you can do the plug and play Banks system, From 2004.5 up the plug and play works.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Yes . . . if you can, please join up for the Buena Vista Rally in a couple of weeks!

We have a much lighter 5th-wheeler and pull with a 2015 Chevy 2500HD gasser with the 4.10 rear end and it handles the hills easily.

I do wish there was a way to put an exhaust brake on a gas engine for the down hill drives, though . . .

ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You have received some sage advise. However, unless your 5er is completely empty....the empty weight is a mute point. As you did not say what model BH you have. My guess is if it is 34' or more and loaded to camp...I bet your at 14K GVW.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
In the past six years we have pulled our Bighorn 3670 nearly 40K miles, almost all in the western states (many hills and mountains, including Colorado).

We have a SRW, '06 Cummins, one ton long-bed with Banks Exhaust Brake. GCVW is right at 23K.

As the others have said, an exhaust brake of some type is a MUST-HAVE for any diesel rig towing in the west. It takes most of the white knuckling out of your adventures. Don't leave home without it! Trace

brianlajoie

I've pulled my BH 3010RE over 5 different high mountain passes in Colorado. So long as you down shift and take it easy, I've found no issues that my F350 couldn't handle. I did wish for a 1.5 gear instead of 2nd gear coming off Red Mountain pass with hairpin curves though. :)

busted2341

Read alot about the Duromax and Ram but how bout a F350 6.7 using just the Tow/Haul. We are planning the mountains but I never thought about an exahust brake before now. Has anyone driven the smokies/colorado mountains with a Ford pulling 18K?

brianlajoie

Fully packed we are at 22,400 truck and trailer. I have a F350 6.7 using just the Tow/Haul. Like I said, take it easy, drive smart and you should have no problems.

Edit: <I have a 2012 F350 SRW>

Last edited:

Bohemian

Read alot about the Duromax and Ram but how bout a F350 6.7 using just the Tow/Haul. We are planning the mountains but I never thought about an exahust brake before now. Has anyone driven the smokies/colorado mountains with a Ford pulling 18K?

Ford had bad performance on the exhaust brake with the twin turbo. They changed to a much bigger single turbo to fix the problem.

avvidclif

Is that from experience or what you have read? While I haven't been thru the Rockies I haven't had any problems with mine.