Mounting level up jacks lower on frame - closer to the ground

I noticed the leveling jacks on my 2015 big country sit up pretty high with more than adequate ground clearance when up. I have seen other brand campers with the same system but the jacks are mounted lower to the ground and still look to have plenty of ground clearance. There are adjustment holes with bolts in them where the jacks bolt to the frame where you could easily adjust these up and down. Having them 2 inches lower would save me from getting our my 2x12 pads I have to use on anything but flat ground to keep the jacks from bottoming out their stroke. Seems that as long as there is a few inches of slack in the hydraulic lines you could make a minor adjustments to move the jacks down. Has anyone done this? Does everyone else have to use a wood block under their jack pads to keep them from bottoming out in their stroke?

Thanks for sharing any thoughts,
Matt

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't use anything under my pads.
When retracted they are 10" above the ground.
If yours are much higher when retracted I see no reason you can't lower them. Others have.

Peace
Dave

richheck

Seasoned Member
Im assuming you have the 6 point system. My close friend has a Big Horn that was experiencing the same issues, we noticed his were about two bolt holes higher than the other coached we were looking at durning an outing we were both attending. He had his lowered and has been very pleased with the results. I suggest you try to take note of similar rigs as yours and count the empty bolt holes for reference before making any changes. You will also notice a more stable coach after you make the change.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yes lower them down. We did my friends Big Horn, It's very easy to do. The rear Level-up jacks extend 15 inches. With my SnapPads installed mine are 10.5 inches off the ground at the bottom of the pads.
I used a dewalt impact driver only took 20 minuets at the most
th

porthole

Retired
Keep in mind that if you decide to lower the jacks, do all 4 equally.
Although the system is designed to 'not hurt the trailer', you can exceed the built in safeguards by manually extending the jacks to the max extension, if they are not evenly mounted across the frame.

Thanks everyone for the input. As you mentioned I also have noticed a 2 bolt hole difference between my BC and the units that park on either side of me at the storage facility. I'll be making an adjustment for sure and keep my 2x12 pads for really un-level situations.

Bones

Use a string from your back tires to the lowest part on the rear. That is your departure angle. You can lower your jacks down till they are level with that line but also keep in mind curb height

porthole

Retired
Use a string from your back tires to the lowest part on the rear. That is your departure angle. You can lower your jacks down till they are level with that line but also keep in mind curb height

You still have to be carful with that.
Prior to raising my Jack's, the 'string method' would show the clearance I had.
Except - using my driveway. Between the drop off at the driveway apron and the 6' flat between the street and uphill section, I had negative clearance.

Oregon_Camper

Yes lower them down. We did my friends Big Horn, It's very easy to do. The rear Level-up jacks extend 15 inches. With my SnapPads installed mine are 10.5 inches off the ground at the bottom of the pads.
I used a dewalt impact driver only took 20 minuets at the most
th

Ahha Ahha Ahha....did someone say Dewalt? (yea, that was my best Tim the Tool Man Taylor impersonation)