MPG Gas Mileage

bigmaho

Just returned from a 3000 mile trip to Alberta, gas mileage varied from 8 mpg on the prairies to 12 mpg in the great lakes area. Go figure. Really thought it would be the other way around. Towing a 181 mpg with a hemi magnum.

Wind gets you more than anything. I get between 14-18 towing with a Jeep Liberty diesel.

Nogyro

Wind gets you more than anything. I get between 14-18 towing with a Jeep Liberty diesel.

Tell me about it. We just got back from a 4300 mile trip pulling a 180 with a 2010 F150 5.4. Went from Tennessee to Cheyenne, over to Salt Lake City Utah, down to North Rim Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Mesa Verde, Durango, then back across Kansas and Missouri. Never thought it was possible to have a headwind both ways but I got lucky and got it! All flags flew straights towards me the whole way. Going across I-80 from Cheyenne to Salt Lake, they have the wind turbines all over the place. Guess why??? LOL Several times I was going down 6% slops in the mountain passes, had a head wind, and had to give it half throttle just to go 55 mph!! UNREAL...... Worst tank was 9.1, best was 13.3. Most all were in the mid 10's. If I ever make that trip again, it will be in a clockwise rotation. :) Also going to look into putting a topper on the truck instead of the tonneu cover. I put one on an older Ford and it made a world of difference when pulling a 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer.

hepcat

Just finished my first trip with the mpg behind my Toyota FJ Cruiser. I get 18-19 mpg pretty consistently with the FJ Cruiser unladen... with a 600 mile round-trip with the mpg trailer, I consistently got 13.1 mpg on each of three tanks of gas. That's driving at 55-60 mph and I'm always fortunate enough to drive into a headwind both ways. I was also using 10% ethanol 89 octane, and the Toyota 4.0L engine wants 91 octane premium gas... which is difficult to find in rural NW Iowa.

Bwk2000

Enjoying the good life!
I seem to averaging 13-14 mpg towing the 183 with a 2011 Ford Escape Ltd (V6) ... not too bad considering