MPG Screen Room?

ptarthur2

I will upload pictures as soon as I get a chance to get over to where my MPG is stored and take some.

You'll have to slide the top of the dome awning into the channel that runs across the top of the MPG camper and used a marker to mark the position on the side of the trailer of eachof the snap sockets that is attached to the edge of the awning.

Make sure you use the regular type of JB Weld and not JB Quick which only has 1/2 the tensile strength. I tried JB Quick initially because it sets in only 15 minutes and fully cures in 4 hours but it didn't hold the snap studs to the side of the trailer when I tried to attach the awning.

When you mix the two parts of the JB Weld, make it very thick by using slightly more of the light colored part than the dark colored part, that will help avoid the product running down the side of your trailer before it sets up.

Only mix up enough JB Weld to do one or two of the snap studs at a time because you will need to hold the studs to the side of the trailer for several minutes until the glue sets up enough to prevent them. from slidding out of position.

One last very important tip, make sure when you glue the snap studs to the side of the trailer that the little spur on the top of the studt is pointing down as there is a notch on the bottom of each snap socket that is attached to the dome awning that this spur fits into. If you don't point the spur down when you glue it you will not be able to snap on the corresponding snap socket that is attached to the awning. I looked though the very sparse instuctions that came with the dome awning but there was no mention of this. I discovered the correct position by snapping one of the studs into one of the snap sockets before I glued it then had to pry it back appart with difficulty before gluing.

I started out by gluing one stud to the side of the trailer initially and let it set up for 24 hrs before attempting to snap on the dome awning just to make sure I had the correct technique down. Then I glued the remaining studs and let them set up another 24 hrs before attaching the rest of the awning. Since there isn't much documentation I thought it best to take it slow and easy. I'd hate to think about how difficult it would be to reposition one of these studs glued on with JB Weld if you didn't get it in the right place to start with.

I'll upload the pictures as soon as possible.

ptarthur2

Here are the pictures you asked for showing the locationa (circled in red) of where I glued the snap posts for the dome awning on the side of my MPG camper using JB Weld. Note in the close up shot where the glue ran slightly because I didn't mix the glue thick enough. Fortunatley the dark gray JB Weld kind of blends in with the lighter gray of the side of the camper so it's not too noticeable

2011-08-19_11-39-38_521.jpg2011-08-19_11-39-09_390.jpg2011-08-19_11-39-20_146.jpg

marc515

Thanks for the pictures.

Very interesting that you glued the snaps to the sides VS the ends; any particular reason?

How does it work out on the sides VS the ends?

Thank you!

Tumblebug

ptart
I was thinking about using auto trim double adhesive(3-M I think) tape to put the snaps on with.
T

Last edited:

Tumblebug

Dometic is the Maker(importer) of the screen room. I think it is Dometic Cabana Model 747GRN13.00 (green 13 ft). Camping world has them also and sometimes you can snag one on e-bay. Most Heartland dealers also get them and any other larger RV dealer. Same awning as on the R-pod. It would be interesting to see the price ranges!

My dealer talked with Heartland and the Awning is a Dometic Cabana but it is 16 ft instead of 13 ft.

I found one on e-bay( 16 ft) for $150 (item # 370539155943) with free shipping. The 13ft was $270. I'll post more information when I receive the awning/screen room.

I also discovered that some of the earlier MPGs have a different length awning rail. I measured mine and it is 16 ft. Some of the awning threads appear to have MPG awning rails that are 13 ft.(Smaller dome awning) Need to know what you have before ordering A dome awing. Measure to be sure!

9/6/11 Received the Awning today.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-..._Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5645f19cdc
Dometic model 747GRN16.0 Will set it up in the morning a get some picture, if I can figure out how to post them in the thread.

Last edited:
We just completed a 25 day trip Fl-ME-Fl and the MPG was great. We used the screen room as an awning and it was terrific. I highly recommend it as an awning because the curved lines complement the trailer. Takes about 10 minutes to put up with no problems.

With two of us traveling and camping we had no need to erect the full room, though we did so just to check things out and it was very simple

I'm going to try to attach some pictures; if I'm not successful I'll be glad to e-mail them to anybody who is interested.

Attachments

• 2,3,4,5 camping + xmas 110.jpg
    2,3,4,5 camping + xmas 110.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 2,3,4,5 camping + xmas 111.jpg
    2,3,4,5 camping + xmas 111.jpg
    776.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 2,3,4,5 camping + xmas 112.jpg
    2,3,4,5 camping + xmas 112.jpg
    817.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 2,3,4,5 camping + xmas 113.jpg
    2,3,4,5 camping + xmas 113.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 124

ptarthur2

I glued the snaps on the side because that was where the pictures in the very sparse set of instructions that came with the dome awning showed them mounted. Of course the picture was of a pop up camper. I suppose locating the snaps on each end of the camper would work just as well though.

marc515

ptarthur2,....thank you.

We didn't get any snaps with our set up; guess I'll have to find some place o order them.