MSRP "Sticker" Origin

RoadJunkie

Are MSRP "Stickers" consistent across dealerships? I seem to recall I read somewhere that dealers are permitted to create their own "Stickers". The basis for this question stems for an (potentially erroneous) observation that some MSRP quotes are higher than others with similar options.

jnbhobe

We used a price sheet from the Louisville show. Some dealers seemed to make their own up.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I think MSRP stands for Manufacturer SUGGESTED List Price. Which means dealers can stick whatever price they want on it.

RoadJunkie

Granted, the S in the acronym MSRP indicates Suggested, but I'm not convinced that dealers are openly disclosing supplemental increases to a manufactures MSRP, particularly for options. I have been able to obtain, from Ford, an on-line MSRP window sticker containing the "official" MSRP for a vehicle by VIN number. Does Heartland provide a similar service, or is this information considered proprietary between manufacture and dealer? In my case, the question is rhetorical as my dealer was open in disclosing actual MSRP, but in my search for a 5'er the issue piqued my interest.

boatdoc

Junkie,
Don't get caught up with MSRP's. They are about as useful as air brakes on a turtle. When we were on the hunt for our 3670 there was not one dealer the same price on an identicle optioned rig. Some as far apart as 5K. The factory will not disclose what the dealers pay and the dealer will laugh at you if you want to start at their cost and work up.
Beat them suckers up the best you can and they are still making BIG $$$$ with all the kickbacks they get for selling so many units and so on. One thing to remember is, there is another rig right down the road if they won't budge on their inflated prices. Hope you join our little club!!!

RoadJunkie

:) Good advise, and I worked deals until I was satisfied. But again, I was just curious. Now, I'm waiting for the smile of spring to head out and start enjoying this sucker! Thanks for the replies.

2010augusta

Jim B has posted many of the 2010 Heartland MSRP sheets on the forum, just do a search and you can find them.

If your dealer is any where near the MSRP, you should start haggling or find more opinions from other dealers, It is easy to find them at 25% below MSRP or more.

I was speaking with a salesman at a local dealer and most dealers are marking up 10% or more from their cost, and that is still WAY below 25% below MSRP.

DMitch

Boatdoc hit the nail right on the head. MSRP means absoloutly nothing. All you need do is search the internet for units you ar looking at and you will get a feel for pricing. Most times if you don't have a trade you can even do better. Consider service, if your sure your going to get good service from a dealer thats worth money. That said do your homework on the dealer.

Good Luck,

wdk450

"Consider Service"

Boatdoc hit the nail right on the head. MSRP means absoloutly nothing. All you need do is search the internet for units you ar looking at and you will get a feel for pricing. Most times if you don't have a trade you can even do better. Consider service, if your sure your going to get good service from a dealer thats worth money. That said do your homework on the dealer.

Good Luck,

While I agree that in the best of all worlds, you want to establish a RELATIONSHIP with your dealer that will last into GREAT service after the sale, Heartland has given us a terrific option that can let you get your best sales deal, and then go to any service provider you desire for your warranty service; just as long as Heartland Service authorizes the work BEFORE the warranty service is performed.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Bill is just as right as Gary, we bought our rig in clovis, and it is 5 hours away so Heartland gave the OK to go to a local RV repair facility 5 blocks from where we store our rig. It has worked out great. Just before the end of our warranty, I used my dealer to do the final fixings and we picked it up with our TV, and headed north to the Oregon rally last year. That I believe is a wonderful way to satisfy folks that buy from a non local dealer. For rookies like me, I didn't know that it was best to buy locally, as we bought at the Pomona RV show in 2007, and picked up our rig on Valentine's Day 2008 in Clovis.

jblack

"kick back" is a huge misconception that people believe. Too often people relate the RV industry to the auto industry. In RV's it is very rare to see any dealer "kick back" like the auto industry does. And Heartland does not do any "kick back" they are priced to serve you the customer and makes life good for the dealer, because for the money its awfully hard to compare to a Heartland product.

Just a little clarification from a dealer.

John

Larryheadhunter

I bought my Big Horn from Jblack, john, and he is a straight shooter if you deal with him PERSONALLY so I will vouch for him if it matters to anyone. JimBo told me the exact same info at the Buellton rally. You would have to check with John regarding the servicing of your rig, but in the end it worked out fine for us as I stated in post #10 in this thread.

jblack

I bought my Big Horn from Jblack, john, and he is a straight shooter if you deal with him PERSONALLY so I will vouch for him if it matters to anyone. JimBo told me the exact same info at the Buellton rally. You would have to check with John regarding the servicing of your rig, but in the end it worked out fine for us as I stated in post #10 in this thread.

Larry,
Thank you for the kind words, and I will be contacting you by phone in the next couple of days. I'm going to be at our Arizona dealership until March and I've been extreemly busy trying to get everything set up. I want to put aside some time to go over a few things with you and want you to have my undevided attention. Customers Like Larry and Debbi are what make being in the RV industry so gradifying. I met Larry and Debbi at the 2007 Pomona show while we were representing the Bighorn, Landmark, and Cyclone. They had NEVER rv'd before and as you can imagine were very nervous about taking the plunge. As all of you may be able to tell, they are enjoying their RV so much and I feel I had a large part in that. So many people in this industry loose sight of that. We have the potential to help people make memories that will last a lifetime, and we're obligated to do our best to make this an expierience like Larry and Debbi have had. Happy camping, and happy travels.

Larryheadhunter

Thanks John for the kind words, and yes we have had the time of our life for 18,000 miles, 15 states, all since Feb 2008. Heartland does stand behind their products, that's for sure. Look forward to hearing from you and thanking you again. We are going to continue to RV for the next 20 years if we last that long!