Mt. Rushmore and surroundings

Planning my route from Ft. Worth, TX to Rafter J Bar Ranch. First time in that part of the country. Pulling 42ft. Landmark and was wondering what roads would be best to travel.

JJC

retired Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Planning my route from Ft. Worth, TX to Rafter J Bar Ranch. First time in that part of the country. Pulling 42ft. Landmark and was wondering what roads would be best to travel.

You'll likely end up in Ogalalla, NE however you get there from Ft. Worth. We just drove the Ogalalla to Hill City route via 26 to 385 and it was an easy 4 lane road with the Landmark in tow. There are a few road construction areas, but nothing that created a backup. I would suggest fueling up in Ogalalla as the the options are pretty slim after that.

Lou_and_Bette

Couple of years ago, DW and I took I-35W-North to I-35 to I-135 to US-81 to I-90 (coming out between Sioux Falls and Mitchell, SD). Turn West then "straight on until morning." :rolleyes:

SNOKING

If you are going from there to Devils Tower(which is worth seeing, think "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"), I would NOT take 16 West out of Custer! Chris

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If you are going from there to Devils Tower(which is worth seeing, think "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"), I would NOT take 16 West out of Custer! Chris

We went north from Custer through Hill City to Deadwood, then west to the Devil's Tower!

SDDevilsTower-IMG_0556.jpg SDMtRushmore-IMG_0760 (1).jpg SDDevilsTowerTruck-IMG_0564.jpg

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also traveled Hwy 385/16 from Hill City to Custer with no problems. We stayed on 16 all the way to Cody WY at the recommendation of Ponderosa Campground. Yes it has some switch-backs but we didn't have any problems. Just remember to go slowly on the west side of the mountains. It's a beautiful drive over the Big Horn Mountains. Would we do it again - yes.

Piperflyer

I am at Rafters J's right now in a 42' 5th wheel. Coming from NE I would take 18/385 through Hot Springs, Custer to Rafter J's. Their is no road construction from the SD border. You will be up and down some steep grades, but you should have no problems. Just stay off Needles Hwy with that 5th wheel

jayc

Legendary Member
We made the trip from Dickinson TX to the Oklahoma chapter rally in Thackerville OK, then to South Haven KS (241 miles), to Grand Isle NE (320 miles), to Alliance NE (311 miles) to Custer SD (143 miles). It was an easy drive and you could certainly eliminate one or more of the stops to conserve time. We are full timers and love to take our time between stops.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the info. Is I-35 north a toll road from Ok. thru Kansas?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone for the information. Piperflyer would you mind posting a few pictures of the campground. We will be in the line camp area in July.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We were at Rafter J Bar Ranch in early May and got caught up in a snow storm. Nice thing was that it was gone about as quickly as it came.

brianlajoie

We were at Rafter J Bar Ranch last summer after the national rally. You will like the RV resort. We came home via 385, picked up C113 and 138 in Colorado. Then I-76 to I-25 and home. This route is through Denver, so I don't know if you want to go that route. You could take I-76 to Sidney and then pick up 385 to by pass Sterling. We came to the RV resort from the national rally via I-90. While staying in Mitchell, we were about 35 miles from a tornado. Luckily just small hail.

It's a toss up if you take I-70 or I-80. I think they are both heavily traveled and full of pot holes. I swear I will find a different route to Indiana for the next national rally though. In my opinion, I-25 is in better condition, but you would need to go over Raton pass. I went over it twice this winter and there wasn't any problem. Weather may have a small role to play if you come up through OK and KS versus CO something to consider depending on the time of year.

We were at Rafter J Bar Ranch last summer after the national rally. You will like the RV resort. We came home via 385, picked up C113 and 138 in Colorado. Then I-76 to I-25 and home. This route is through Denver, so I don't know if you want to go that route. You could take I-76 to Sidney and then pick up 385 to by pass Sterling. We came to the RV resort from the national rally via I-90. While staying in Mitchell, we were about 35 miles from a tornado. Luckily just small hail.

It's a toss up if you take I-70 or I-80. I think they are both heavily traveled and full of pot holes. I swear I will find a different route to Indiana for the next national rally though. In my opinion, I-25 is in better condition, but you would need to go over Raton pass. I went over it twice this winter and there wasn't any problem. Weather may have a small role to play if you come up through OK and KS versus CO something to consider depending on the time of year.

Thanks for the info. We will be going back to Texas on I-25 through Denver and over Raton Pass not a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the pictures. Can't wait to get up there. Would you say a 5 day stay is good for seeing everything in the area?

- - - Updated - - -

thank you for the pictures, excited to get up there.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Thanks for the info. We will be going back to Texas on I-25 through Denver and over Raton Pass not a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the pictures. Can't wait to get up there. Would you say a 5 day stay is good for seeing everything in the area?

- - - Updated - - -

thank you for the pictures, excited to get up there.

We were up there (SD) for eight days and are planning another trip up there next year to finish what we started.

Raton Pass is a piece of cake . . . unless it is snowing!

brianlajoie

We used several days. It depends on what you want to do. Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood, Sturgis, Custer, Chief Crazy Horse Monument. You are also close to the Badlands. The RV park is spread out, so you are not too close to you neighbors. Great place to relax. I would add a little time to relax before you head back.