Multiple Bearing Failure

RuralPastor

We averted disaster two days ago while driving across I-80 near Rock Springs, Wyoming. I heard a kerplunk and felt the Excursion pull hard for a second, looked in the driver's side mirror long enough to see someone dodging a wheel/tire/hub about windshield height. IMG_4318.JPGOne of our bearings disintegrated causing wheel separation. While being towed (blocked axle spring) to a repair facility 7 miles away traveling 10 MPH, another bearing on the opposite side and opposite axle let go. These were greased according to Lippert's specs prior to this recent trip. We are currently getting two new axles installed (certainly not Lippert) and have a couple thousand more in damage to our unit. As always, the important thing is that no one was hurt. I had previously considered replacing the bearings prior to this trip, but decided against it. FYI: speed 60 MPH.

jbeletti

Wow - that's some of the worst damage I've seen due to tire/wheel failure or in this case, bearing, then wheel loss. Hope no one got hurt by the missile that was your tire/wheel.

Are you going with Dexter?

When you say the bearings were recently greased per specs, did you also inspect the bearings at that time? Just curious. I have no experience with RV bearings and would only know a bad set if they were falling apart in my hands.

Jim

porthole

Retired
Geez - you and everyone around sure were lucky. Hope you get it all fixed up in time to salvage whats left of this season.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
What Jim said - WOW!

I've seen some bearing failures on lots of equipment, but, that is bad. Good Luck and keep us up-to-date on repairs.

DougS

Doug S
Wow, is that the stairs all bent up? I also had two wheels come off, but no damage to RV body. I guess I was lucky if you call losing a wheel lucky.

lwmcguir

Suggest you read this short article about limping home when one tire is damaged. Even though it's written about duallies, the basic story probably applies to your situation.
Some very good points in this article. We learned this the hard way many years ago. Rarely blow a tire now but when it happens and the dual or mate tire on the same side has been ran it is exchanged to a lighter service and two new tires are mounted. Saves money and time down the road not having the compromised tire blow.