My 15 - 16 inch wheel/tire upgrade

johnpsz

There have been a few questions from other owners with 15" wheels as to what upgrade is possible. I will post about my upgrade and provide as much detail that I found along the way. This is just my viewpoint, and not general rule of thumb. So I was unhappy with the fact that my new Extreme Light Elkridge had 5200# axles but only a 10080 rating due to the wheel tire combination, adding to the fact that the trailer had a gvwr of just about 12K#. I know going into this that I'm not going to change those ratings, but an upgrade gives me better piece of mind. I chose a wheel/tire combination that was capable of more than 20% OVER my Elkridge's gvwr on their own and went from the stack Blowmax D rated 225/75/15's to Bridgestone Duravis R250 E rated commercial rib style LT tires in 235/85/16. Now I debated for a while on going to a smaller 245/75/16 that would be about an inch shorter, but after a lot of measuring I confirmed that I would be able to fit the 235/85's with more than 1 and 3/4" to spare.

Now for some pics...

My little helper checking things out.
jy4ypane.jpg

Stock wheels and tires.
8are4ezy.jpg

Comparing old vs. new.
dyqe3yhe.jpg

9uby9u7e.jpg

evany6ed.jpg

New shoes on.
e9uganab.jpg

a6u2e6yb.jpg

8yse7usu.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

johnpsz

Yeah, he was a great helper, but had more fun playing on the creeper than swapping out the wheels.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yeah, he was a great helper, but had more fun playing on the creeper than swapping out the wheels.

I understand. Lol. Gotta have a bat mobile if you are batman. Lol

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
John, good choice. When doing your weight ratings....remember that 20% of your 5ers GVWR is on the pin/truck. You should be well within specs now.

Jim.Allison

They will be running less revolutions and cooler as a result. And you have much more tire than you had before.

'Lil Guy'

Love what you've done. I just ordered the correct track II system for my E289. Am also going with 16 inch wheels and tires. Did you install the 2 inch lift cams in the neutral position or did you have to adjust the cams to align the axels with the kingpin? Did you have any trouble with the install? I dread crawling around on the ground doing the install but I need the height since my Ram 2500 is so high in stock 4X4 stance. About 2" higher than ford and Chev. What is your wheel size in width? Are they 6 or 6 1/2 wide? Better yet where did you get them? Looks great. Also, what is your wheel speck as to offset and PSI rating? Thanks in advance.

johnpsz

Baker, the correct track 2 was installed by my dealer and was wrapped into the purchase agreement, I did talk to the tech that installed them since only 1 cam was not in the neutral position and I thought that was odd. He showed me the instructions where it tells you to measure between the bolts and he re-measured it in front of me. As for the rims the are 16" trailer rims I don't have the model number handy but are 6" wide and have 110psi ratings.

'Lil Guy'

Thnks for the info. I'm talking to my dealer about the install now. Glad I stumbled onto this. I was concerned about the ability to get the TT closer to level. Thanks again and great mods to your unit.