My SECOND broken axle

Firerad1

These threads relating to suspensions, brakes and tires are all to common. We are making a long term investment and plan to put some serious miles on our new 3585RL. We're biting the bulllet now instead of later and decided to have MorRyde put their 8K IS and disc brakes on before we ever hook up to the truck. They will also match to the hitch height of the truck for a level, balanced setup, and mount the G rated wheels and G-614's I get from the factory. Thanks to all of you for helping us figure this all out before buying off a lot and learning the hard way. No prevous damage from our Alaska, the Rockies or the Desert SW ventures and we want to keep it that way.

caissiel

Having been in the RV hobby for 20 years, I have heard of a lot of stories about axle bending and the results was mostly caused by the hard braking. It applies much more forces to the axle than any weightapplied on them.
My experience with brake problems on our BC was the first time we came down to florida and in the Scanton PA area I could not apply the brakes without seeing smoke on the left rear tire. The tire was dragging every time I applied the brakes. Well I did find the problem and fixed it for all 4 wheels. Someone at the RV service center where I bought the trailer must have applied grease improperly and wet the magnets in all 4 wheels and I had to clean it off and reapply the grease properly.
After arrival I checked my springs and found that the springs were not torqued properly and the clanps were pulling hard on the springs and appling unnecessary loads on the springs. One center bolt had broken on the wheel that was doing the slidding and the axle had shifted 2 inches back. I was lucky to have made it an other 1000 miles without wearing of the rear tire.
I since have greased the hubs properly. Added the heavier plates that will not bend under stress and 9/16 u-bolts that will thighten even more. Now after 2 years I don't even think about the tires and axles as they are well serviced by ME and done right.
The reason I feel that 8K axles have more failures has to do with the fact that they are added after the 7K fail and 12K axles would also fail under the circumstances, Maintenace and proper brake adjustment to me is the key.