Mystery water

G8orwayne

I'm having water seep through the floor and vanity and can't find the source. It's not coming from the sink and it does it during random times. I can't see where it would be coming from underneath. Does anyone else have this happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Check the supply lines to the faucet to see if there's water dripping down them. I found the OEM faucet was leaking inside due a bad o-ring and dripping down the lines and into the basement. Took a bit to figure it out. I dissected the faucet after replacing it and found the problem inside it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Water seeks the lowest level. So it may help to use toilet tissue to find a small amount of water around a fitting. When toilet tissue hits any water it will be very noticeable. Also check the drain pipes. Ours loosened up. Use plumbers putty around the top and bottom of the seal. All is well and they do not loosen up again by themselves. My neighbor across the street is a master plumber and he taught me that. He never has to return to fix a leak.

Garypowell

When you use the word "vanity" the leak must be in the bathroom. When you say "random" it means to me it might be your black tank flushing systems vacuum breaker.

See if the leak corresponds to flushing the black tank.

Dont know your rig but they are many times behind the shower and you get to them via the plate by the faucets.

In 5 rigs I have had one go bad and since then remove them on new units and replace them with a check valve behind the UDC.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When we first got our Prowler two years ago this week (wow how time flies), we had a water leak down in the basement and it took me months to figure out where it was coming from.

Like the others have said . . . leaks are not typically where you find the water dripping!

I finally found the culprit . . . the water in coupling on the back of the toilet had barely been finger tightened from the factory, and every time the toilet was flushed, a little bit of water flowed down the water line into the basement, than ran about three feet to an elbow in the line, where it would drip on whatever was there at the moment.

I now check that before we leave each time and just give it a little finger snug!

kbbagshaw

Our intermittent mystery leak was the filter on the water pump was loose. Intermittent because we did not always use the water pump.

G8orwayne

When you use the word "vanity" the leak must be in the bathroom. When you say "random" it means to me it might be your black tank flushing systems vacuum breaker.

Dont know your rig but they are many times behind the shower and you get to them via the plate by the faucets.

In 5 rigs I have had one go bad and since then remove them on new units and replace them with a check valve behind the UDC.

Very useful information. Thanks.

G8orwayne

I have a 2015 Big Country. This may be my problem but I can't find the vacuum breaker you are referring to.

MikeR

Inside your shower is a round access port. Unscrew the cover and you will find what you are looking for. The line is for your black tank flush.

mlpeloquin

Inside your shower is a round access port. Unscrew the cover and you will find what you are looking for. The line is for your black tank flush.

Mine is there, but have to use a mirror to see it. It is above the opening. I found if I slow the black tank flush water flow down quite a bit, it will leak. It takes some water pressure to make a good seal on the valve.

G8orwayne

I had done that previously and the only thing I can see in there is the hot and cold lines. Is there another location? Plus if there was a leak in there how would I fix it? The access point is very small.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Remove the basement wall and find the line coming from the tank flush fitting in the UDC. That will lead to where they've hidden the anti-siphon valve. Mine was in a blind wall cavity behind the toilet, not behind the port in the shower stall. Only way to access it was to cut a hole in the wall or grip&rip the water lines for it. I chose the latter and replaced the PoC with a check valve.

danemayer

Here's what the black tank flush valve looks like when located behind the shower wall. This picture is from a Bighorn and is taken from behind the wall.

Attachments

• BH Black Tank Flush Anti Siphon Annotated.jpg
    BH Black Tank Flush Anti Siphon Annotated.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 35

RAHanock

We had an intermittent leak that appeared to come from the sink in the bathroom. It turned out to be from the external shower, which is on the outside wall opposite the sink. It leaked only when we used the external shower. The fitting to the shower head was loose and when the water valve or valves were turned on, it allowed water to leak into the interior. When I went to replace the external shower box I found that I just needed to tighten the fitting. Good as new now.

Garypowell

Once you know you have found it you can simply cut it out of the system. My first coach in 1996 had its valve behind the toilet. I replaced it.

The four our coaches that have followed I have removed it to save the eventual trouble and put a check valve in the black tank inlet line and an isolation valve.

Both THA the check and stop valve protects from any problems.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have to wonder why in the world do they hide such fittings and valves in such places that can't be reached . . . :confused:

LBR

I think it has to do with the valve being higher than any faucet. :confused:
AVB's must be higher than their outlets to properly break to atmosphere.....in my ex-job field, it was dictated AVBs were to be a minimum of 6" higher than any downstream orifices it protects.