Nabo's Adventure to Alaska 2017

brianlajoie

If I remember correctly, there were no plans to use any state, federal or provincial campgrounds. I know these have very limited services, but I was interested if there was any consideration to these campgrounds.

I plan to bring my own generator as back up. I also plan to bring extra drinking water.

Did you happen to see any of these campgrounds to report on? Either for a lunch break...

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We stayed at 3 provincial parks and Jasper. Jasper of course was planned; the others just worked into our plans...scenic and inexpensive for overnight stops.
In AK we utilized 3 SP (1 in Fairbanks had W/E), 1 USFS and a NP CG in Denali, all boondocking up to 6 nights.
But unlike most, we travel by the seat of our pants and desire flexibility. The ONLY planned well in advance reservation was for the CG in Denali. A few of the other stays (park or CG) were made maybe a few days prior to arrival but the majority were “let’s stop here” then decide how long we’re staying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
If I remember correctly, there were no plans to use any state, federal or provincial campgrounds. I know these have very limited services, but I was interested if there was any consideration to these campgrounds.

I plan to bring my own generator as back up. I also plan to bring extra drinking water.

Did you happen to see any of these campgrounds to report on? Either for a lunch break...

The year 2017 was the 150th anniversary for Canadian Parks. Even tho we had gotten the pass to use the parks, we did not camp within them because 1) they were full with no reservation system for about 95% of the parks and 2) most parks do not accommodate a rig 42 feet. The pass was very helpful tho to get to visit a lot of the parks as we traveled from St Saint Marie to Dawson City. Yes we had a 4000 watt generator which, laughingly, we had to use in the states and not in Canada. In Alaska, we used commercial campgrounds, some good - some not so good. Again, finding a place for a 42 foot camper can be a little challenging.

travelin2

Again, finding a place for a 42 foot camper can be a little challenging.

Although with our 3010 (back then) length wasn’t quite as important, we were in a number of sites, commercial or public CGs, that would easily accommodate 40’+ rigs; many were pull thru sites.

USFS CG back by the PortageGlacier
4738221f00c4a55f1208060c55386668.jpg

Denali NP
0501fdc670ebd63289267b90a4ed0886.jpg

Last edited:

travelin2

I edited our worksheet of overnight spots of Canada and Alaska to include the amenities and type of site. As I mentioned in the previous reply, practically all the sites we had could have easily accommodated a 40+ rig once unhooked. As you can see a significant number were pull thru sites and even though most of the backins could handle the 40'er, a few trees would make them challenging.
Alaska is an adventure no doubt. It's not necessarily for the faint of heart. Many many miles of lonely highway but in turn breath taking views and scenery one will never see in the lower 48. IMO, while the National Parks down here are beautiful in their own way, Alaska scenery is by far extraordinary in comparison.
I know the majority like to plan and have that feeling of security, but we found campsites aplenty and don't forget any wide spot along the way in the Yukon or Alaska is allowed. I know I have a few tucked away for when we return.

Attachments

• Alaska 2015 Overnight Spots.pdf
    182.4 KB · Views: 35

MTPockets

This may be a redundant comment; but we did Alaska in 2011, entering at Vancouver and travelled North Via the Stewart Cassiar Hwy... the return trip after five weeks in Alaska via the Alcan.. Only once did we plan ahead with reservations, which was at Denali. Several remote RV parks, as well as in towns with no problem; electric hookups were at times limited to single 20amp service, so bring adapters. We also did several nights dry camping and always found some pretty incredible spots for the night. The Milepost magazine is a must have!

brianlajoie

Wednesday June 28th - what a beautiful day. We were up by 6 to catch a 7:30 am bus into Denali National Park. It was an 8 hour ride going 66 miles into the park and back on a dirt road.

What was the factor in determining to go only 66 of the 92 miles of roadway? Was it time? Do you think you missed anything? Was it the tour or transit bus?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
One can take their own vehicle only x amount of miles inside the park thus being required to take the park transportation further into the park. The road is rough dirt roadway meaning slow going. In a bus, 4 hours in to the observation/visitor's center and 4 hours back is all your butkus could take. There is a lake another hourish up the rocky road but after talking to folks, we elected not to go there. Lots of hikers head up there.

brianlajoie

Getting closer - up to 84 days on the road and counting...

I made reservations in Anchorage as we are reserved for an inside passage cruise and needed the rig to be safe while we're gone. Does anyone have a feel for other reservations? Holidays (US and CN) to plan for? We will be gone mid May to beginning of August. Generally we call the day of travel to confirm space. Should I back up a day or two?

On the was back we plan to come down CN-16 to Jasper and then CN-1 / AB-93 (Icefields Pkwy) to Banff. I'm thinking I need reservations for both places. Any thoughts?

travelin2

Getting closer - up to 84 days on the road and counting...

I made reservations in Anchorage as we are reserved for an inside passage cruise and needed the rig to be safe while we're gone. Does anyone have a feel for other reservations? Holidays (US and CN) to plan for? We will be gone mid May to beginning of August. Generally we call the day of travel to confirm space. Should I back up a day or two?

On the was back we plan to come down CN-16 to Jasper and then CN-1 / AB-93 (Icefields Pkwy) to Banff. I'm thinking I need reservations for both places. Any thoughts?

Reservations in or around Denali a must!! Also if you want to stay in Talkeetna, limited facilities. All of our stops where either just that, stopping at our leisure, or a call a few days ahead once we knew where we’d be. Keep in mind boondocking is acceptable most anywhere in Alaska and the Yukon. Numerous public dump stations available. Everyone has a different comfort level...
We were able to stay in JNP without reservations in one of the first come sites for several nights by arriving at check out time. No hookups.