Narrowed it down to one of 2 units. What are your thoughts

I currently own a Montana and getting ready to trade up and go full timing. I have it narrowed down to one of 2 units. First is the [FONT=&quot]Big Country 3450 TS with thermopane windows, central vac, and all the other options you can get. Price out the door for a custom built 2011 is **k and some change. Second unit is a Bighorn 3610 RE with all the same options and is about **k and some change. Other than floor plans are there any major differences in these two rigs. I understand they are both made by Heartland but does one use cheaper materials etc. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve
[/FONT]

jimtoo

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to help if needed.

I have a Bighorn 3055RL and just last week was at my dealer and looked through some of the Big Country units. It's really hard to see any difference in quality. I think it is what you like and with the options you want. I certainly recommend the dual pane windows.

I did remove the pricing you posted as we do not allow posting of prices on the forum.

I'm sure some others will jump in here and give their opinion also.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

2010augusta

What year is the Bighorn, 2010 or 2011? There has not been a lot of info released on the 2011 Big horns yet, so it is hard to say too much. Both are great looking units, and they are build in the same building, on the same line, by the same people. Just buy the one you like better and enjoy it for many years.

larneal

Big Horn

Steve,

My wife and I purchased a new Big Horn in June of this year. We had 2 units in mind and we looked, researched and compared for a long time. One was the 3355 Big Country and the other was the 3385 Big Horn. The Big Horn is a step up from the Big Country and obviously cost a little more but we felt it was worth it because we are going fulltime at the end of next year. Both are good units with Heartland quality but the BH is a little better. Just my opinion - hope it helps.

Larry & Gail
2009 Big Horn 3385
F250 7.3 PS

Tom of Ypsi

If hydraulic front jacks and keyless entry are important then I would go with the BH. I do not know if fresh/grey/black water capacity is of importance to ou but you might want to check that out. Check out the insulation on both units and what floor plan do you really like. Remember this is what you are going to live in so get what you want now so you do not have to say I wish I would have bought the other. Good luk in your seach.

caissiel

I believe the BH has selective slide hydraulic valves installed and the BC has not. Its a warranty issue if you have some installed on the BC. I could not operate without the valves and I installed isolation valves myself for $285.00. Best mod I ever done to my BC.

Last edited:

bill40

We are very happy with our BC but I know the day will come when I wish we had the valves on the slides. Its like have a short bed truck and not haveing a slider, may never need it but that day will come.

We fulltime in a 2008 BC3250TS. It has never been back to the dealer
for any problems. There has been a few problems but I have fixed them
myself. Nothing more than some squeaky floors and drawer under fridge
broke. There has been some self inflicted problems:rolleyes:. Won't go into that .
Pulls like a dream and has plentry of room & storage.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Steve, I think the basic construction is the same for both units. I believe the Bighorn has a nicer interior appearance and uses different materials for some of the cabinet constructions and slide out trim fascia. The available options might differ slightly but you should be able to figure that out on your own. All of the components/appliances are the same. I think keyless entry might be a nice feature to have. Sure makes it a bit easier to secure the rig. We have had our BH for just over 3 years and though I have seen both versions recently, I would buy another Bighorn over the Big Country. It's a personal choice for us. What we like about both is the level of customer service. I think Heartlands happy customers by far, out weigh the nay sayers.:D

rvn4fun

You are right where we were.

We had planned to buy a Bighorn for the last couple of years, looked at them all the way down here, from South Dakota to Texas stopping and pricing at various dealers. Well here in Texas there is more price competition or something, anyway we went to the dealer to buy a Bighorn, but came home with a Big Country 3450TS. We liked so many things on this floorplan that the wife wouldn't let it go. I liked the platinum color and the price. We bought a model on the floor otherwise I would have had double pane windows. Our old rv had central vac, I asked the boss if she wanted it again on the new one, it was a option, she declined, said she likes her portable better. Our walk thru tech stated that they are selling way more Big Countrys then Bighorns now after Heartland has kicked up the Big Countries floor plans ect. I guess by the time we get it paid for we will know if we made the right choice, but for now we are happy.:)

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I currently own a Montana and getting ready to trade up and go full timing. I have it narrowed down to one of 2 units. First is the [FONT=&quot]Big Country 3450 TS with thermopane windows, central vac, and all the other options you can get. Price out the door for a custom built 2011 is **k and some change. Second unit is a Bighorn 3610 RE with all the same options and is about **k and some change. Other than floor plans are there any major differences in these two rigs. I understand they are both made by Heartland but does one use cheaper materials etc. What are your thoughts?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Steve[/FONT]

Hoo Boy, that's like asking which is better Democrats or Republicans... You'll get as many different answers as you get responses. My advise it to go with which ever floor plan and options suit your fancy. They are both Heartlands so you really can't go wrong either way.

rick_debbie_gallant

We spent a whole day going through the different units, taking pictures comparing this and that. Went home and slept on it and it came down to the BH 3670 and the BH 3610. We went with the 3670 because of the kitchen set up, and the entertainment set up. Oh and the storage, basement, storage, more storage, basement, UDC, valves. I could go on. Good luck on what you choose

wyleyrabbit

I believe the BH last selective slide hydralic valves installed and the BC has not. Its a warranty issue if you have some installed on the BC. I could not operate without the valves and I installed isolation valves myself for $285.00. Best mod I ever done to my BC.

Ok, gotta ask. I think our unit has those, but don't understandthe feature. Why and in what circumstances would I want to use those slide valves?

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We have used our slide control many times. Our rig is parked in a storage area. Many times the boat next to us is too close to open that slide while I load up to leave. This option works very well for us.

length question

We had planned to buy a Bighorn for the last couple of years, looked at them all the way down here, from South Dakota to Texas stopping and pricing at various dealers. Well here in Texas there is more price competition or something, anyway we went to the dealer to buy a Bighorn, but came home with a Big Country 3450TS. We liked so many things on this floorplan that the wife wouldn't let it go. I liked the platinum color and the price. We bought a model on the floor otherwise I would have had double pane windows. Our old rv had central vac, I asked the boss if she wanted it again on the new one, it was a option, she declined, said she likes her portable better. Our walk thru tech stated that they are selling way more Big Countrys then Bighorns now after Heartland has kicked up the Big Countries floor plans ect. I guess by the time we get it paid for we will know if we made the right choice, but for now we are happy.:)
We are deciding on 2011 3250TS or 3450TS. love the room and storage in the 3450 but the 38+ length is a concern with some of the small parks out there. what problems issues have you had with your long unit?
thanks

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We have three slides with a control valve for each one. If you close off the bedroom slide, it will not open and the other two will. You can open any one individually. or two in any combination, or all three.

dual paine widow ?

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to help if needed.

I have a Bighorn 3055RL and just last week was at my dealer and looked through some of the Big Country units. It's really hard to see any difference in quality. I think it is what you like and with the options you want. I certainly recommend the dual pane windows.

I did remove the pricing you posted as we do not allow posting of prices on the forum.

I'm sure some others will jump in here and give their opinion also.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M
Jim you mention that you would recommend dual pane windows. The dealership that i have been working with told me that they are not worth the extra weight and cost. that they only added the equiv of 1 R value. what is your thoughts?
rick

jimtoo

Jim you mention that you would recommend dual pane windows. The dealership that i have been working with told me that they are not worth the extra weight and cost. that they only added the equiv of 1 R value. what is your thoughts?
rick

Don't know about R value, but in the cold the windows do not sweat on the inside. I think they give better resistance to noise and the do help on the A/C and heating. Not near as much heat or cold transfer from the outside. As far as adding weight, I would guess maybe 100 lbs to max 150lbs. We had an 06 3055 without, now have an 08 with the dual panes. We like them.

The dealer probably wants to sell a unit off of his lot and not order one for you.

The above is just my opinion and guess on weight.

Jim M