Narrowed it down to one of 2 units. What are your thoughts

wyleyrabbit

Expressed as a %, the increase in r value is huge. From about 0.85 to about 1.5 is 77% better insulation. Plus, as Jim says there is far less condensation on the dual pane windows. Much MUCH quieter as well. :)

I have had RV's in the past with them and without them and to me it is like night and day. No condensation when cold out or raining. It is also a much quieter unit. Next unit will probably be my last so I will be getting it with them.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
I've been told and have read in many RV magazines that over time, the double pane windows lose the seal. We have a couple at the campground with us right now that can attest to that also. What is the experience with this regarding our brand?

Tom of Ypsi

I have not heard of a HL product with bad double pane windows (Herr windows) but that does not mean there have not been any. This could happen to any brand window on any brand coach. When I had a sticks and bricks I had a bad Pella window but warranty took care of that.

Go for the 3610re as we have purchased one on December 18, 2009. Its a beautifal unit. Can't wait to pull her into our favorite campground and see looks on our friends faces we aren't telling them we traded yet.

rvn4fun

Slide control

On the bighorn you can push each slide control seperatly, on the Big Country, anyway on our 3 slider, it only has two slide switches. One controls the bedroom slide the other controls the other two. The disavantage to this is that if you only wanted one back slide out, you really can't control it, you have to make sure you are in a spot where both slides have adequate clearance before you push the button. We think it is stupid the way Heartland did this but you just have to pick your camping spots carefully. In the owners manual it says to allow 5 feet extra on each side.

Draco Dog

We have a 3670 Big Horn. We retired earlier this year and spent many weekends looking at which trailer to call our home. We sold our home and most of our possessions. We finally decided on the 38' BH. The counter space is the 1st thing that caught my eye. Also loving the many extras that we wanted, like the ice maker, the fireplace, the central vacume system, the cupboard and closet space, the air bed/pull-out-couch, the hook-up for washer and dryer (if I decide to use it), the automatic awning, the desk space for my computer, etc., and hubby loves the basement space, etc., and the ease with which it hauls. So many things are just personal taste. We have had a number of pull-trailers from 21', 5th wheelers and ofcourse started out with tents. For us, the 3670 Big Horn is unbeatable. The best thing I can suggest to anyone is to shop-shop-shop. Good Luck.

CrazyScotsman

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the R factor in the Big Horn greater than the Big Country ? Just checked web site, roof and floor same, but walls are BH R 9. BC R8
As far as Dual pane windows go, I say get them, I agree what OP say about them.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
We have a bit of snow (@ 2'+ since Christmas Eve) where we're parked in Nebraska. I tried to get dual panes for my Cyclone when I bought it. Heartland didn't offer them for the 3950 at the time, don't know if they do now, or not. I'll just keep my single panes! :) As seen in the photos, when it's cold outside, and warm inside - the ole single panes might just gather some ice! Went through it last winter in Wyoming and now here, too. Some day I'm hoping to have a winter job in the south and summer jobs in the north - just never seems to work out that way.

This side of the Cyclone never sees any sunshine during the day these days, so all the windows on this side (DS) are doing this. The window photo is in the main slide behind the sofa. The ODS catches the sun and any overnight accumulation clears up on sunny days. At -20 degrees, the other night, even the seams where the walls come together had frost in them! :eek: And we're maintaining @ 70 degrees inside!

These were taken New Year's Day - otherwise I seldom see the Cyclone in the daylight! Work sure gets in the way of things I'd rather be doing! :D

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    508 KB · Views: 29
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    580.8 KB · Views: 33

lwmcguir

Have you had any water issues with the -20 temps? Sure sound like a lot of folks have at much warmer temps. This Thursday is going to be another cold one as well.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Have you had any water issues with the -20 temps? Sure sound like a lot of folks have at much warmer temps. This Thursday is going to be another cold one as well.

First time: Water supply froze in the wall of the building where I connect my heated hose (from K&H Mfg). Landlord built a "box" around the spigot coming through the wall, in order to keep this from happening again. Box built out of the 1" duct board insulation.

Second time: When the landlord built the afore-mentioned box, he enclosed the thermostat on my heated hose - therefore, the thermostat 'thought' it was warm outside and turned off. Hose froze! I relocated the thermostat outside of the enclosure, hose heated and thawed in about 10 minutes.

Last time: Got back to Nebraska after visiting OKC for Christmas and the hose was frozen again. For some reason, thermostat was not switching. I removed it all together and the hose thawed within 10 minutes.

No water problems since.

caissiel

I had a thermometer in the window while we were in the cold this fall and the widow temperature was at 60F all the time and the outside temperature was as low as the low 20'sF. We do have Double panes and love it. We use to have to put 1" foam insulation in the windows under the curtains to prevent the moisture build-up in the previous trailer. Its not as heat efficient but surely nicer looking.

lwmcguir

First time: Water supply froze in the wall of the building where I connect my heated hose (from K&H Mfg). Landlord built a "box" around the spigot coming through the wall, in order to keep this from happening again. Box built out of the 1" duct board insulation.

Second time: When the landlord built the afore-mentioned box, he enclosed the thermostat on my heated hose - therefore, the thermostat 'thought' it was warm outside and turned off. Hose froze! I relocated the thermostat outside of the enclosure, hose heated and thawed in about 10 minutes.

Last time: Got back to Nebraska after visiting OKC for Christmas and the hose was frozen again. For some reason, thermostat was not switching. I removed it all together and the hose thawed within 10 minutes.

Sounds like your Coach is doing well with only the supply water issues. That is great considering the temperature. Thanks for the reply. Sure going to drop down this Thursday.
No water problems since.

Sounds like your Coach is doing well with only the supply water issues. That is great considering the temperature. Thanks for the reply. Sure going to drop down this Thursday.

Natesi

He did A LOT of winterizing, insulating, heat taping, and skirting though -- that I read about in other posts. It's definitely not "stock".

Natesi

... [FONT=&quot]Big Country 3450 TS with thermopane windows, central vac, and all the other options you can get. Price out the door for a custom built 2011 is **k and some change.
[/FONT]

Just to be clear: I don't think they are thermo-anything; no argon between the panes like is typical in residential homes. It's just two panes of glass. However, as others have said, it still helps.

jimtoo

Just to be clear: I don't think they are thermo-anything; no argon between the panes like is typical in residential homes. It's just two panes of glass. However, as others have said, it still helps.

You are correct, it does not have argon or any other gas according to the Hehr web site. I really don't think you could keep any window sealed the way we drag our units over the roads we have. But the dead air space is a great help as far as I am concerned. We do not have inside moisture condensation, it helps with noise and it definitely helps with heating and air cond. I have had same unit (3055RL) with out dual pane and with dual pane.... I will never have another without having the dual pane windows.

Jim M

potmcr

Be sure to check out Jayco. I did not but I have heard many good things. I bought a 2010 Cyclone 3950 and it is falling apart right around me. In the shop for the second time for the past two months with 22 items for repair from water pump, landing jacks to the garage wall falling down. Just think about it. A trailer will always be a trailer I guess.

Natesi

??

Ummm.... Just my opinion: It's not appropriate to be recommending against the purchase of a Heartland product, on the Heartland forum, seems how this is kinda their forum -- and the purpose is to help people, further the product, listen to feedback, answer questions, and solve issues. Recommending other brands doesn't accomplish that. This isn't a brokerage house for referring people to other brands. People can make up their own minds about that, or discuss such business on a non-company-manufactured sponsored forum. Personally, after reading all the good and bad on here, I'm still buying one.

Besides, unless things have changed recently (and to my knowledge they have not), Jayco uses formaldehyde insulation. IF you want to trust a company that has no ethical qualms about openly poisoning and/or killing it's customers, then be my guest. If you think you'll be better "cared for" by a company that could be described as bankrupt in morals and ethics, then I'd highly suggest giving that a shot and seeing how it works out for you. But the build quality, whatever it may be, won't matter a whole lot when you're in the hospital, your health is fading, or your in an early grave.

But to each his (or her) own, I guess.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
...I bought a 2010 Cyclone 3950 and it is falling apart right around me. In the shop for the second time for the past two months with 22 items for repair from water pump, landing jacks to the garage wall falling down...

FWIW: I bought a 2009 Cyclone in March 2008 and so far - it's never been in the shop! :D