Nashville/Memphis

Dan & Sally Sullivan

Hey All,
We are flying to Nashville and then taking 5 days to drive/sightseeing to Memphis, this May.. I was wondering if you have any resturants, hotspots, etc that we shouldn't miss, besides the know tourist spots.
Thank you in advance for the helpful hints.
Sally Sullivan

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

Re: Nashville/Memhis

Hi Dan and Sally,

Here's my Memphis list. Some of it is my own but much of it came from my friends.

Memphis

• Graceland (yes - gotta do this once)
  • Visitor Center (MS River side) - per Byrd Mathis (this was just OK - great place to pickup fliers on area stuff and on the way to the Bass Pro Shop)
  • Sun Studio - per Byrd Mathis (we enjoyed this)
  • St. Judes Hospital - Danny Thomas memorial per Byrd Mathis
  • Mudd Island (great to do once - in the summer)
  • Beale Street (fun to walk this in the summer - get's a little sketchy at night)
  • BB Kings night club on Beale St (skipped - too $$ cover charge)
  • Peabody Hotel (ducks at 11 and 5) (yes - fun to do once)
  • Eat BBQ at Corkys per Dave/Julie
  • Rendezvous BBQ on Beale Street (didn't care for their ribs)
  • Memphis Zoo
  • Blues City Cafe (ribs and fried shrimp per Terry and Carol H) - on Beale Street (yes!)
  • Gus' Fried Chicken - 310 South Front Street (per Terry and Carol H) (yummo - ate here twice!)
  • Dyer's (Hamburger) per Travel Channel (100 year-old grease) (tasted great!)
  • Civil Rights Museum - Dave and Kathy Latta
  • Rock and Soul Museum - Dave and Kathy Latta (enjoyed this)
  • Pink Palace
  • Staxx Museum (enjoyed this)
  • Boiling Point Restaurant for Shrimp and Grits - South Haven, MS - per Rex and Stacy Hastey on Facebook
  • Bass Pro Shop in the Pyramid (can't wait to do this)
We use TripAdvisor when traveling to new areas. Here's their top 137 things to see/do in Memphis.

ncrzrbk

As your driving from Nashville to Memphis, stop for a meal at mile marker 143. Place called the Log Cabin restaurant. It's the same exit to Loretta Lynn's ranch. Nice people and great food.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

VKTalley

Hey All,
We are flying to Nashville and then taking 5 days to drive/sightseeing to Memphis, this May.. I was wondering if you have any resturants, hotspots, etc that we shouldn't miss, besides the know tourist spots.
Sally Sullivan

Dan and Sally, contact Byrd (Nabo on the forum). She and her hubby, Nathan, are the Tennessee chapter leaders. They had a rally in Nashville this past October. She would be able to give you some great ideas for Nashville. Enjoy your Tennessee trip! My hubby and I are in and out of Nashville as his company's corporate office is located there.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders

Actually Central bar b q is where locals eat and is as good if not better than Corky's. The Rendezvous is world famous and celeborties fly in to eat there a lot. Never know who you may see there. Choose between wet or dry ribs but there are many places as good and not down town. As a retired Mphs PD I recommend to always travel in groups anywhere downtown. Memphis in May will have Riverside Dr closed to traffic and all of down town especially around Beale St will be crowded. Depending on what part of May, there is MIM music festival,international bar b que contest and several smaller events going on the river. If you go armed, they occasionally use metal detectors on Beale St. Do NOT leave in your vehicle as it could be missing upon your return.

- - - Updated - - -

Also as a great stop between Nashville and Memphis, stop for lunch in Jackson at Casey Jones Village ( exit 80 I think). Super Buffet and great food

lindaw

Florida Chapter Leader - Retired
Hey All,
Sally Sullivan
If you guys were going to be there by May 1 you could attend the festival they have every year called Memphis in May but they are having it earlier this year. It,s held on Beale St.
Lindaw

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If you guys were going to be there by May 1 you could attend the festival they have every year called Memphis in May but they are having it earlier this year. It,s held on Beale St.
Lindaw

So they are having Memphis in May before May?

Dan & Sally Sullivan

Hello All,
Thank you for the great info; we are really looking forward to our trip. We are meeting up with our friends who are going with us. Cant wait to share.... Especially the food places!
Sally

Kbvols

Most listed places in Memphis but don't over look Nashville. Downtown area is awesome lots of tourists things and of course the Honkey Tonks...Legends, Tootsies etc. South of Nashville is Shelbyville, Tn. Walking Horse Capital and Lynchburg Home of Jack Daniels Distillery they have tours and are fun. Beautiful Country Middle TN area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dan & Sally Sullivan

We are going to be there 9 days total , 3 nights / 4 days in Nashville. 4 days traveling around, then 3 nights in Memphis.
we have booked our hotels.... We Purchased our tickets for the Grand Ole Opry!. And we have lists of things we want to see, more than we can fit in. So when we retire we will be back...
Again, Thank You for the suggestion, especially the food places!
Sally