Need advice on portable generators

SeldomSeen

Re: generator help?

I use the Honda 3000 as well and I purchased a $100.00 table jack that jacks up to the perfect height of my truck bed or the storage compartment of my 33QS for easy load and unload.

I like the idea of the table jack, don't look forward to lifting the geney up and down all the time.

pegmikef

A fiver friend of mine has a 3.5 kw generator and had a frame made in the driver side corner forward of the hitch and welded it to the bed. He then uses a chain fall (block and tackle deal) from a large tree limb to load and unload it. He locks it to the frame with a fabricated hasp affair. Works very well. He runs it in the truck so he never has to remove it while camping.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Not tryin to be a smart *** but the Boliy 3600 sine wave genny only weighs 68#. Pretty easy to get into the truck. :angel:

ILH

I've been watching / reading this thread for a few days now because of the heat. I'd really like to run a 3k generator in in the back of my truck to power my a/c while on the road, but my current power cord setup is at the very rear of the trailer. This means I'd have to get a supplementary 30 amp plug outlet installed at the front somewhere under my bedroom.

Has anybody had experience doing this? What expence was involved (I wouldn'd be doing it myself - that what service dept are for!)

brianharrison

The gen prep option adds a junction box in the front - I have tied into that for another shore power connection at the front of the trailer. The benefit is the automatic transfer switch is already wired in. I think the Road Warriors come standard with gen prep.

Without the gen prep option, cutting the main feed before the AC distribuion panel, adding in a transfer switch and running a new shore line to the front can be done if you are somewhat handy with electrical - if you are not comfortable with the level of difficullty, any RV shop or mobile RV tech will be able to help you out.

While you are at it, I would add in a hardwired Electrical Management system, such as Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C. I wired mine in after the transfer switch, but added the remote display with on/off switch to allow the generator to run with open neutral. THis way I can also use shore power on the front connection when campgrounds are confused and put the shore power near the front of the campsite :confused:

PS - if your current main connection is 50AMP I would size the front connection for 50A as well.

Hope this helps.
Brian

Last edited:

relocator

Not tryin to be a smart *** but the Boliy 3600 sine wave genny only weighs 68#. Pretty easy to get into the truck. :angel:

According to the spec sheet the Kipor ig3000 weighs in at 132 lbs. No wonder at 71 It's a ***** getting in in and out of my pickup by myself. Checked Harbor Freight for a lift. They have a transmission lift for under $75 but it only goes up just under 24"

Ray LeTourneau

According to the spec sheet the Kipor ig3000 weighs in at 132 lbs. No wonder at 71 It's a ***** getting in in and out of my pickup by myself. Checked Harbor Freight for a lift. They have a transmission lift for under $75 but it only goes up just under 24"
Yeah, I don't know how they did it but that Boliy is really light compared to other gennys in that wattage range. As I said earlier, it works well for our needs and didn't cost an arm or a leg...

dave10a

Yeah, I don't know how they did it but that Boliy is really light compared to other gennys in that wattage range. As I said earlier, it works well for our needs and didn't cost an arm or a leg...

Have no experience with the Boliy, but a Lot of experience with generators, both inverter and portable. From what I can determine of the Boliy, it fits in the limited duty category and I would not consider it for continuous duty. Uses a lot of plastic parts, seems to have poor dynamic range, brushes instead of slip rings on the generator and motor/generator weight seems light. Parts availability may be an issue. It would probably do fine for 500 to a 1000 hrs of operation, but I don't think it would hold up as well as Onan, Yamaha or Honda over the long term with many years of service. Generators weight is from the motor and size of generator/alternator. If something weighs significantly less than other well designed units one should determine the exact reason. Copper wire is heavy and so are well designed motors. There is an old adage that you get what you pay for and I suspect this is true for generators.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I've been watching / reading this thread for a few days now because of the heat. I'd really like to run a 3k generator in in the back of my truck to power my a/c while on the road, but my current power cord setup is at the very rear of the trailer. This means I'd have to get a supplementary 30 amp plug outlet installed at the front somewhere under my bedroom.

Has anybody had experience doing this? What expence was involved (I wouldn'd be doing it myself - that what service dept are for!)

Ian,
On my previous SOB, my cord would not reach the back of my truck for the genny either.
I just went out and purchased a 30 amp extension cord. It worked well and I had no problems whatsoever.
About 40 bucks and a quick fix.

I know others on this forum have wired a second 30 amp (or 50amp ?), plug in parallel at the front of their rig for the purpose you described. They can run their cord from either one. Trace

RNRUSA

Hi I have just joined and I am searching for information on generators, but first some background. I live in Australia and we have bought a Heatland fifth wheel and truck and will be travelling around the USA for 12 months. We arrive in November 2012. I am searching for a generator as most people do. Honda, yes good,reliable but expensive. Boily much cheaper just as light but from what I read build quality could be questionable, then there is the champion 3500 but weight is a problem. I have thought of buying ramps to store it underneath the trailer?. To top all this off we have made no decision whether we keep the rig and come back and do Canada or more of the USA. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Ron and Rose Australia.

Ray LeTourneau

Ron & Rose, Welcome to the Heartland Forum. I hope your adventure goes well for you folks. As for generators, I know Honda and Yamaha are highly recommended. I have the Boliy you also mentioned and have had good service from it when needed. I have to add I haven't used it for any extended length of time yet. I keep a little stabil in the fuel and it starts and runs perfect every time. As quieet and considerably lighter than the others. Just my opinion though. I suppose if I had a better income I would buy the Honda 3000 but the Boliy 3600 works for our needs.

RNRUSA

Hi Ray, thanks for the information, we went the Boliy, based on price and weight it seemed the best. I spoke to the distributor in TX, Tommy and he was great source if information for me. I have to hand it to your shipping arrangements in the US. The generator was there in 3 days fantastic service. We are all set for our big journey now.

Ray LeTourneau

Not really stealing the thread but...
There is a smartphone app for a sound level meter available and it's really pretty cool and hopefully accurate. I tested my Boliy the other day and as they advertise, it's pretty quiet. At 3 feet, it registered 68db at the front of the unit. The sides were 69db. The right side is the exhaust port and the left is the air intake. At 8 ft the db level dropped considerably but I didn't note the levels. The app is called Noise Meter.