Need experiences - DRW vs SRW, Long vs Short bed

MCTalley

From the 2013 Ford Super Duty towing guide:

SRW limited to 3.21 or 3.55 axle ratios. Neither are available with limited slip (though electronic locking is available).
F350 DRW has 3.73, F450 DRW has 4.30 ratio.

Long bed gas tank is 38 gallons vs. 26 for short bed.
Tailgate height is 3 inches lower on the DRWs than the SRWs.

Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Ratings (truck, trailer, fuel, passengers, cargo combined):

F250/F350SRW - 23,500 lb.
F350DRW - 30,500 lb.
F450DRW - 33,000 lb.

danemayer

I had a site assignment once where I needed 4WD to get out because it had been raining and the ground was soft.

dave10a

I did use 4wd to hitch up once because of a slight up grade on wet grass while backing up. Also 4x4 is a must in the snow where I live when not pulling. Also the trade in value for 4x4 is better where I live. I might add that DRW 2x's are like a scaled duck on ice or snow. SRW 2x2's are bad enough for unloaded trucks but DRW 2x2's are much worse. I think it is because of the laws of friction. The more weight on a small area the more friction.

alex00

Thanks to all for your input! I tend to favor 2wd rather than 4x4. Any thoughts there?
Lack of 4x4 would be a deal breaker for me. If cost stood in my way I would shop a model year older. 4x4 is relatively cheap insurance that you will not become stranded when it is least convenient. I don't use it often, but when I need it, it is invaluable. Low range has been very useful getting a heavy load up gravel driveways.

JanAndBill

Long steep gravel driveway. 4 wheel drive is a must. As others have said there are occasions when it comes in really handy.

scottyb

Pulled the same rig with a SRW 3500 and now a DRW F350. Stability is night and day. We have two 2013 diesel pickups, a F250 SWB 4x4 (DW's) and my F350. The SWB F250 has a much choppier ride and only a 24 gal tank. Every truck we have owned for the last 20 years (hers and mine) have been 4WD. IMO you get the cost of the 4WD back on the tail end. Book value may not reflect this, but actual selling price will because so many people desire a 4WD.

In the 80's I had a couple 2WD diesel company trucks. The weight of the diesel engine up front was a detriment off road, even more so than the gas trucks. I was always having to get pulled out of soft slippery spots when the front would sink a few inches and the back would just spin. You definitely didn't want to park facing downhill, where you had to back out on a wet or loose surface.

DougAndJudy

If you are considering a 2011 or newer Ford DRW look at a F450 turning radius is much better than F350. For me the DRW is the only choice, which ever make. Just more comfortable towing any larger trailer.
Thanks for the info about turning radius of the 450! We bought one today!! 2012 F-450 Lariat DRW, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, 19,000 miles. DW loves how tight it can turn. thanks to all who contributed and confirmed our decision.

alex00

Nice! That's about as opposite from a 2 dr, short bed, SRW as you can get:). That's a great truck you bought. Have fun with it.

donr827

My last two trucks have been F350, short bed, and two wheel drive. Considering where we live, South Florida, and where we camp It works well for us. I replaced the fuel tank that came with the truck with a Transfer Flow (sp) that increased the capacity to 47 gallons
Don