Need New Batteries

Greengas

Ok, so after 3 years it is time to get new batteries. After all, when you have 2 12v Group 31 batteries for 3 years and you don't bother checking their fluid level and when you do add distilled water it turned out to be distilled vinegar (it was a rough day so don't judge me :mad:) then it is time to buy new batteries. I want to look at 6 volt, AGM batteries (that way not checking the water won't be a big problem) and I'm looking for suggestions on what type to get, made by which manufacture and what size. We don't dry camp that much and so far have not gone through the capacity that the 2 12 volt batteries have given us but from what I understand going 6volt will give us close to double that capacity which would allow us to dry camp for a few days every now and then.

Oh, and when I install the 6 volt batteries, will my rig's charging system automatically pick up on the different battery type and continue to charge them?

Oh, Oh, and I know that some of those batteries are much heavier so will the current battery placement in my 2014 Landmark need to be reinforced?

Oh, Oh, Oh, I do have a deadline for getting this done since we are having a chapter rally in about a month.

Thanks in advance for the continuing education.

Oregon_Camper

Battery advice will be like the "which truck is best" question. LOT of opinions.

In my last two RV's I went with 2x6v Trojan batteries and loved them. When I researched current battery technology, I came to the conclusion there is no real benefit in going with 6v batteries over 12v batteries.

I bought 2 Trojan T-1275 batteries and LOVE them. They are not cheap, but price wasn't an issue, as I wanted performance.

If you still decide on going with 6v batteries, you'll need 2 of the same batteries to get to 12v. You'll want to ensure you wire them correctly...shown below is the process for wiring 12v and 6v batteries.

Capture.jpg

carl.swoyer

12 volt deka group 31 agm batteries is what I'm using. They are maintenance free and withstand heavy use and charge faster than the wet cell batteries

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-198000 miles !

bdb2047

I have 3 group 31 AGM Energizer batteries,Sam's Club,2 years old now and no problem. Just be aware with AGM batteries you have to change charging program so they do not equalize. I understand that can be done with Progressive converter with a charge wizard from Progressive.