Need new shower dome

Garypowell

After 4.5 years our shower dome has cracked. I think we heard it when in Savannah, GA last week and pine cone hit it. Started to drip inside of the shower at the next rainstorm.

We were parked at our youngest son's church's parking lot so it was easy to get up on the roof and inspect. I goobered it all up with caulk to temporarily stop the leak.

Now looking for a dome that will cover the 18" by 36" cutout in the Bighorn 3010 shower. This seems to be an odd size as I am having a difficult time finding it. But I have found EZ Tops that has the right size and they seem to custom make it out of Lexan....which I know is fairly tough.

Couple of curious questions:

1. Has anyone used them before? I called and left a message today and no one has called me back.

2. I'll have to drill my own holes. I assume I'll put a 2X4 under the flange and drill holes. But has anyone done this....special bit? Any special considerations for Lexan?

Thanks in advance.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
After 4.5 years our shower dome has cracked. I think we heard it when in Savannah, GA last week and pine cone hit it. Started to drip inside of the shower at the next rainstorm.

We were parked at our youngest son's church's parking lot so it was easy to get up on the roof and inspect. I goobered it all up with caulk to temporarily stop the leak.

Now looking for a dome that will cover the 18" by 36" cutout in the Bighorn 3010 shower. This seems to be an odd size as I am having a difficult time finding it. But I have found EZ Tops that has the right size and they seem to custom make it out of Lexan....which I know is fairly tough.

1. Has anyone used them before? I called and left a message today and no one has called me back.

2. I'll have to drill my own holes. I assume I'll put a 2X4 under the flange and drill holes. But has anyone done this....special bit? Any special considerations for Lexan?

Thanks in advance.

You need to be careful when you drill plastic. If you use a regular drill bit it will pull it down in the plastic and cause it to split. If you take the drill bit and grind the sharp edge off it will work great without problems. It does not take much. I like to put about a 1/32 flat on the sharp edge.

CoveredWagon

Thanks in advance.

You need to be careful when you drill plastic. If you use a regular drill bit it will pull it down in the plastic and cause it to split. If you take the drill bit and grind the sharp edge off it will work great without problems. It does not take much. I like to put about a 1/32 flat on the sharp edge.

Im betting the big box stores may have drills for plastic. If not what I always did was grind the sharp leading edge off the drill bit. You don't need to grind much off just enough to break the sharp edge. If the company makes them out of Lexington, they may also sell drills.

LBR

You can drill using the proper sized bit with drilling direction reversed and support underneath...it melts thru at a slower, more controlled rate that way.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Have you checked Amazon for the dome? I got my replacement there. Was able to fit it right on. Filled in existing screw holes and the cover was pre drilled as I recall. Used a roll of Butyl tape and Dicor Self Leveling caulk to seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garypowell

Thanks all....not to change the subject.....but after all it is mt thread.....

WHY DO I NEED A DOME?

I have found one or two (as boattofiver suggested) but also in searching the web on how to drill Lexan I have seen I can buy flat sheets twice the size of what I need for like $25.00 not the $150+ for a dome then $40.00 for shipping.

The inner trim piece does not go above the roof line......

am I missing here? It's up on the roof where no one will see it or care......

curious us on your thoughts?

Contact Heartland.
I purchased one from the Factory while at the Goshen Rally.
I went to Elkhart and picked it up.
I got both pieces, inner and outer that fit perfect, used the same holes, do drilling.
Mine had a couple cracks that I had repaired over the years & I finally decided to replace it.
My cost was $25.00 and change.
You would be charged shipping, because I picked my up at Customer Service.

Hockster

NHCelt

I replaced an odd sized dome in a previous fifth wheel. Icon Direct was my source, but did not have a double dome. I solved this by using a flat piece of lexan cut to the same base size, and sandwiched the two with butyl tape before attaching to roof with butyl tape, dicor, and eternabond. Drilled one small hole in flat stock for venting and it was perfect.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I would be fearful of just a flat piece on the roof. Could cause pooling of water that could lead to later issues. The dome certainly promotes water run off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farside291

The dome is where my head goes when I'm in the shower :) So I would have to have a dome or I would be bending over in the shower.

NHCelt

Sorry... Used the dome exterior with a flat plexi inner... Most domes are two layers for insulation or whatever...

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

wdk450

Thanks all....not to change the subject.....but after all it is mt thread.....

WHY DO I NEED A DOME?

The dome is present on most all RV's to give additional headroom, and to allow diffused sunlight to light up the bathroom/bedroom area.

Garypowell

OK....please remember the inner dome is intact and will stay. I am 6' 3" and enjoy that extra room.

It is the outer component I want to replace with possibly a flat piece.

The cracks of the current one were right were the dome bends into the flange. Other than the "hit" that cracked a spot at this bend....there were several other stress cracks in that same bendat other spots around the dome.

The leak actually occurred between the rise of the dome and the 1/2" of sealant that was covering the screws. So water was dammed up and so trapped in that area.....and seeped in.

Granted if I have a flat top there will still be that ridge of sealant that will hold water on the flat surface. Since I am thinking of Lexan I don't believe I need to be concerned about another crack or break. Part of what we do is sell Concrete Testing equipment. The hydraulic press that is used to do this has doors made out of Lexan......if it can take a shard of concrete from a 20,000 pound break......it out to handle what falls out of the sky.

Again, I appreciate the input, but still have not heard anything that would stop me from installing a flat top on the roof.

Please keep the comments coming.