Needing a lot of LED light bulbs

teasac69

If you haven't checked out these guys, you need to go to M4products.com and see their complete lineup of quality LED bulbs. They even have those round vanity bulbs for the bathrooms in LED. Also, if you buy from them, be sure to use the code rvgeeks5 at the time of checkout to get a 5% discount on your order. I got my first load in and installed them and they are great. I just ordered more to get even the basement and outside UDC and under overhang changed out. I don't have an incandescent bulb left on my rig when I get these. :)

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I doubt that there is a more expensive source of LED lights than Camping World. Just another example of a product which is not RV-specific getting ridiculous mark-ups as soon as the "RV" nomenclature is attached.

True . . . but you can look at the differences in the light bulbs for free.

teasac69

I have finished installing all LED lights inside and outside that weren't already LED. The "flood" lights were incandescent bulbs and got HOT and would eventually damage the lens but now are LED and are brighter, cleaner, cooler and use less electricity. I replaced them in the basement, all inside bulbs, especially the directional reading lights that once you tried to turn off after an hour or so you could not even touch the fixture. Now we can use them for indirect/mood lighting and leave them on for hours and they are barely even warm.

The biggest problem is finding the right "color" for your taste but once you settle on that, the bulbs are easy to find in a variety of places (other than CW) and get them all replaced for a lower budget than you think. I found the reading lights on Amazon at a steal, found all the others at the M4Products on line and if you buy them in quantity you'll save a few bucks.

Don't have to worry about hot or melting lens or using too much 12v power. I'm liking the new set.

Donhutch1800

I replaced all of ours with led's from m4products.They have the best quality ones I think you can buy.Have tried several others but none of them have the same light output.You want cool white or daylight led's.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
The other day, I noticed Walmart is now carrying LED bulbs in the stores auto bulb section for around $6/bulb Sylvania or Philips brands.

SHerrick

What was the type/size of the bulbs for the floods? The ones on our near 3270RS are already burnt out and I would love to replace them with LED's! Thanks!

Jim.Allison

I'm running on solar and every little bit helps. I replaced all my incandescents with compatible LED's, I barely draw any battery power now.

It may not seem important but it is when you consider that I watch TV and the wife reads. I'm always telling her to turn one light off when she turns another on etc, etc. The heat is another consideration. If you generate heat you gotta remove it too, either by A/C or by the vents when boondocking. You guys that do not have solar have a much larger problem in that you are always getting your batts charged from whatever source you can; shore, generator or 7 pin. The 7 pin is poor at charging a battery to full capacity, the generator is great at bulk charging but expensive at topping off batts. Batteries not supported by solar are never really charged completely until you hook up to shore power. You can gen all day and not complete the charge curve dictated by the converter/charger. 6 bucks per LED is a small price to pay for the benefits provided by LED v incandescent. - IMHO and good luck

BTW, large solar arrays are great but small ones will provide 90% of your needs. As long as you can get charged during the day, your good. Like I said generators are great at bulk charging but expensive for topping off. One can bulk charge with a generator and top off with solar and save a bunch of money (and trips to fill cylinders, my favorite task). A good solar charger will work with your 7 pin power to provide excellent charging capacity so you can actually charge and top off while traveling. LED's help make all that possible after all what else is the DC system actually running? Your lights, a few circuit boards, and a LP detector? A small inverter?

TxCowboy

I installed these LEDs a few weeks ago in some of my pancake lights and we love them. They are bright enough that we only have to use one side of the pancake light and it provides much better lighting than two of the 1151s that came installed.

I just ordered another 10 pack to change out a few more of the light fixtures. There is a bit of a delay because of shipping (about four weeks or so) but they are worth the wait.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I don't know if it is just me, but it seems that just about every light in RV's these days are placed in a bad spot.

For example, in one of our slideouts over the two recliners, if you have either of the lights overhead on . . . they shine right in your face and are way too bright, which makes it hard to watch the TV, not too mention the glare on the TV screen from it.

And the light in the dinette, while nice (with the circular shade around it) shines right in your eyes if you are sitting at the table.

I'm hoping to replace all of the bulbs with LED's . . . but would like to cut the (equivalent) wattage in half so they aren't so bright.

Speaking of LED's . . . we have the factory awning LED lights . . . and when they are turned on, our Prowler looks like Clark Griswald's house in 'Christmas Vacation'!

Like a big lighthouse beacon at the entrance of a harbor!

I'm wondering if a dimmer switch could be put on them!

ProwlerAtMountaindale-P1000126.jpg